Cessna 182 RG main tires

Avi Lavon

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Avi
Hi all,
I need to buy two main tires for 182RG. any recommendations and what should be the price ? any source for used ones ?
Thank you all
Avi

You do not want a low quality tire on a 182 RG. The airplane is rather heavy for the tire size and the inflation on the mains is 65 psi. I would recommend the Goodyear Flight Special II. Desser tire works.

Hi all,
I need to buy two main tires for 182RG. any recommendations and what should be the price ? any source for used ones ?
Thank you all
Avi

Used tires on a 182??? WTH?
Its a airplane, not a old Farm trailer!
That's like putting used tires on my 200 MPH motorcycle :)

Flight Custom IIIs. We tried other “less-expensive” ones, they lasted a year. Went back to FCIIIs.

Used tires on a 182??? WTH?
Its a airplane, not a old Farm trailer!
That's like putting used tires on my 200 MPH motorcycle :)

If you consider retreads to be "used" there's a very good reason for putting them on: Different rubber compounds can be used for the tread vs. the sidewall, so you can get much better longevity out of retreads than out of new tires. There's a reason the airlines and military use them.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2013/april/15/whats-so-special-about-aircraft-tires

Desser Tire is the place to go for airplane tires. Good prices on whatever you decide to go with, but their "store brand" retreads are excellent and I've been using them for several years with excellent results.

We've been running Michelins from Desser on our R182..FWIW. No complaints.

Jim

BTW, it's a good idea to carry a spare tire and tube on an R182. If you ever get a flat, that size doesn't tend to be in stock at many FBOs.

We learned that the hard way with the DA40, which also uses that size tire, but tends to go through a lot more of them, being a club plane with a castering nosewheel. If someone blew a tire away from the home base (or even AT the home base) nobody ever seemed to have a tire in stock for it. So what did we do? Buy the only other kind of airplane that uses it. :rofl: And the brakes are pretty touchy on the R182 - I think they used the same brakes as the straight leg 182 but with the tires being so small, a pilot who's used to a straight leg 182 will easily lock up the R182. (Ask the guy who had 400 hours in the straight 182 and then did his commercial in the R182 - That'd be me.)

Back