Cessna 182 and Bonanza 35

The one I flew couldn't even make 145 knots.

I'm not sure how many are actually getting them to the 150 knots they are supposed to get.
I flew a 300hp 182rg that could do 170 with ease. It was a great machine.

The one I flew couldn't even make 145 knots.

I'm not sure how many are actually getting them to the 150 knots they are supposed to get.

How did you measure it? Dialed in the temp and pressure altitude into the TAS ring on the ASI? 4-course GPS track? Punched in the baro, heading and KIAS into the GNS430 AUX page?

I flew a 300hp 182rg that could do 170 with ease. It was a great machine.

Whatever. You are bringing up exceptions vs. what someone is actually likely to be buying.

300hp is not normal for a 182RG. That requires a very expensive conversion or finding one already for sale with it done (I can't find one for sale). Then you are talking about having to burn 18GPH just to approach Bonanza speeds along with all the maintenance that comes with an engine that big. For what exactly?

A normal, 235-260hp 182RG is around a 150 knot plane.

The only reason I could see getting one over a bonanza is if you really like Cessnas or the wider interior is important to you.

Whatever. You are bringing up exceptions vs. what someone is actually likely to be buying.

300hp is not normal for a 182RG. That requires a very expensive conversion or finding one already for sale with it done (I can't find one for sale). Then you are talking about having to burn 18GPH just to approach Bonanza speeds along with all the maintenance that comes with an engine that big. For what exactly?

The only reason I could see getting one over a bonanza is if you really like Cessnas or the wider interior is important to you.

I can't imagine Cessna will ever be able to sell one.

By an engine that big you mean the same engine with different cylinders?

The 182 and bonanza are the same width, 42 inches. Oh btw that's the same width as a pa28 btw. If you want width you go cardinal, pa32 or cirrus

By an engine that big you mean the same engine with different cylinders?

So freaking argumentative. This is a stupid rabbit trail. If the OP wants to go find and buy a 300hp 182RG, have at it.

Family? I wouldn't call a 35 a family machine. Maybe a 2+2 but not a 4 place trip hauler.

Please elaborate why you say this is the case. Depends on the Bo model from my experience. Some V models have rear CG issues, A36's are better for that, and the F33 models are good too.

I fly a V35B, can fly 4 and not blow CG, forward or aft. MTOW is 3,600 and useful load is good too. Can I carry my wife, two daughters and baggage - you bet I can.

I have time in both, and the answer really depends on your mission. The Bo is an awesome XC IFR machine. Comfortable, predictable, and economical. Goes a bit faster too. 182 is better for grass strips. Bo has slightly higher maint costs with the gear but it is not much. Check insurance rates with your piloting experience.

GR

my 'book' payload is 705 in my old plane. That's four 170Lb folks and 25Lbs bags. If I want to overload by 100Lbs, I can fit a family fine.

You are the first person I've ever heard make that claim.
:dunno:
Depends on what you mean by "back country". Bonanzas do well on grass as well as fairly short fields (especially if you keep the weight down) but they aren't the same as a bush plan. Compared to a stock 182 with wheel pants, the Bonanza is actually going to fare better on semi rough runways. FWIW, the president of the Montana Pilot's association flies a V-tail Bonanza and aside from his home base (Bozeman IIRC) all he goes to are "back country strips".

Depends on what you mean by "back country". Bonanzas do well on grass as well as fairly short fields (especially if you keep the weight down) but they aren't the same as a bush plan. Compared to a stock 182 with wheel pants, the Bonanza is actually going to fare better on semi rough runways. FWIW, the president of the Montana Pilot's association flies a V-tail Bonanza and aside from his home base (Bozeman IIRC) all he goes to are "back country strips".

Correct. The Bo has the same gear as a Baron that weighs 6,000 lbs. It also has a lot of travel in the gear struts. The 182 has the "delicate" nose strut that is known for bending the firewall.

Here's a typical W&B for a V35A.....go and run the numbers.....:goofy:

since "you" mentioned 36's....they are a 4+2 airplane. Ain't no way you're getting six men in that...and yes they have reward CG issues when loaded. Get a Six if you want to haul something and go somewhere.
Please elaborate why you say this is the case. Depends on the Bo model from my experience. Some V models have rear CG issues, A36's are better for that, and the F33 models are good too.

I fly a V35B, can fly 4 and not blow CG, forward or aft. MTOW is 3,600 and useful load is good too. Can I carry my wife, two daughters and baggage - you bet I can.

I have time in both, and the answer really depends on your mission. The Bo is an awesome XC IFR machine. Comfortable, predictable, and economical. Goes a bit faster too. 182 is better for grass strips. Bo has slightly higher maint costs with the gear but it is not much. Check insurance rates with your piloting experience.

GR

Attachments

• wnb.JPG
    wnb.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Granted neither is what I would call a back country strip, but yesterday I flew between our grass strip and gastons. A few of the locals have their own grass strips of various conditions I fly into. Again not back country, but some are a little rough. Generally, the bonanza will make a grass strip fell as good (maybe better) then asphalt - smooth.

I have the smallest engine I know in a bonanza de-rated to about 165HP. I'll burn about 10 gph to get about 140 kts - on car gas. That's about $25 / hour in gas.

Last edited:
Here's a typical W&B for a V35A.....go and run the numbers.....:goofy:

since "you" mentioned 36's....they are a 4+2 airplane. Ain't no way you're getting six men in that...and yes they have reward CG issues when loaded. Get a Six if you want to haul something and go somewhere.

Six, You confirmed my point - all depends on the specific aircraft. As I stated, my Bo has 3,600 MTOW, tip tanks, and nose weights. That makes a big difference and is quite different from the W&B you posted. The 182 I had time in no way you'd drop six men in that either, so not sure what you were trying to say. :confused:

Back to the OP's post, before you buy anything, look at the W&B for that specific aircraft. 337's, tips, nose weights, some planes have been on diets, etc., all determine useful load and will clarify if it's right for your mission. Cessna high wind retracts have a unique gear retract system, and one that isn't favored by many.

GR

Back