Cessna 172 camlock cowl faster replacements?

UngaWunga

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
UngaWunga
Does anyone sell just this part of the camlock/c-spec/whatever cowl fastener parts? I have a few than need replacement. Just the insert. They're aluminum and pretty galled, and the quick turn screw can't get seated in them. If they do, they get stuck. I'll lube the ones that aren't too bad yet, but would like to just replace 2 or 3 that are ugly.

Parts are for a C172M. Spruce doesn't seem to see them individually, and I don't want to buy a whole kit. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/cessna_fasteners.php?clickkey=237405

i-CZMzt5z-L.jpg

i-DBR25FZ-L.jpg

i-Rmc9vDS-L.jpg

The cups require a special tool to install. I've had a fasteners kit for 20 years and never have installed them because I don't have the special tool. My originals aren't bad enough that I've needed to buy one.

Here's the backside of the insert. It's flat.

i-C4GFtcP-L.jpg

Maybe it's the post that requires the tool? No matter, I'm not putting unpainted stainless fasteners in. But mine ain't broke. ;)

Maybe not applicable for this type of receptical, but on the floating type they have a anti-rotation clip that has to be lifted out of the way before you can screw the receptical in or out. The tool is a pick (thing jumbo sewing pin on a handle).

If the receptical had the clip you'd insert the tool in the hole that's at the bottom of the receptical in the second pic of post #1.

Last edited:
Look in the logbooks to see who's aftermarket kit that is?

Back