Cessna 162 (Digital) vs Cessna 172 (Steam Gauges)

Renesh Kumaresan

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Turb0123
Hi I'm starting private pilot training and currently fly a Cessna 172N which steam gauges but have recently flown in a Cessna 162. I want to stick with the 162 but am worried I will forgot how to fly with a yoke and only fly with the stick. Which one should I choose

Switching between a yoke and the stoke is not a big deal. The skycatcher is a fun little plane, go for it. Oh, and welcome to PoA!

Whichever one you feel most comfortable in.

Oh, and it's not really a stick. At least not in the conventional sense. Most call it a stoke.

How would u complete ppl in a skycatcher?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

How would u complete ppl in a skycatcher?

What's missing that would keep him from doing so? The opposite would be true for someone trying to go sport pilot.

What's missing that would keep him from doing so? The opposite would be true for someone trying to go sport pilot.
O yah..it got tangled up in my head.

Alright, thanks so much. They're both the same price. Do you think I should switch between? Or stick with one?

I didn't realize you could put two people and fuel in a 162 and do anything ;)
Sure, it's perfect for the hamburger run that's an hour away. You won't want to sit in it much longer any way ;)

Alright, thanks so much. They're both the same price. Do you think I should switch between? Or stick with one?

They fly differently enough that I wouldn't recommend switching back and forth. If they're the same price, fly the one you like, but around here, a 172 is $135/hr and a 162 is $100/hr...

Wow that seems expensive. Well thanks for your help, and quick replies. I'll be sure to ask about any other questions I have. And thanks for a warm welcome to this forum.

Does your flight school let you use 172 time to maintain 162 currency? If so, get checked out in both but train in the 172. If the 172 goes down for maintenance or something then you can fall back on the 162.

Fly the cheaper plane. You will always be transistioning over the years anyway (round to glass, small planes to large).

Fly in what you like flying in. I flew in glass and steam 72's along the way and took my ride in the glass 172.

Does your flight school let you use 172 time to maintain 162 currency? If so, get checked out in both but train in the 172. If the 172 goes down for maintenance or something then you can fall back on the 162.
No they're separate payments, but they are the same price.

I learned with a stick in the Diamond 20. Took me about 30 minutes to get comfortable with the yoke and about another hour to make it feel really normal and natural.

So no big deal transitioning.

It's not a real yoke, and you won't forget.

Just choose the cheapest one.

Failing that, the 172 is a better plane.

I mainly am worried about forgetting the analog style of the gauges and getting too fixiated on the G300 avionics panel. My instructor tells me I'm not looking outside as much. And another important question I have, is how to tell how many miles away I am from an airport just by looking at it.

Also, will I forgot the way of using castering nosewheels versus rudder controlled nose wheels? That is also a big issue.

I don't think any of those will be big issues. You do have to look outside and not at the video game.

As for estimating distance by sight, it's an experience thing. One way to learn is to look at the gps distance every time you approach an airport, and learn what that looks like for various altitudes and airport sizes. For airports you regularly fly to, pick out a couple of obvious landmarks on the ground and memorize their distance from the airport, then you have a point to compare from. For example, a water tower 10 miles west of the field, and a big car dealership 5 miles south, or whatever you have.

Whichever is the most fun for you. If you live where the summer is hot, the 162 will get kicked around in the turbulence. But they are both whiffle-balls in any kind of turbulence anyway. Don't obsess, steam vs glass- glass is essentially just video of the steam gauges, especially in simpler Cessna airplanes (206 and down).

I mainly am worried about forgetting the analog style of the gauges and getting too fixiated on the G300 avionics panel. My instructor tells me I'm not looking outside as much. And another important question I have, is how to tell how many miles away I am from an airport just by looking at it.
It takes quite a bit of disceplene to not focus on the video game. Took me quite a while

I'd avoid glass... I love my GPS but I hated the G1000. The numbers on the glass always distracted me... I spent too much time chasing down 1-2 knots or 1-2 degrees when I should have been just flying the aircraft.

The G1000 was nice to fly after I got my license though.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Also, will I forgot the way of using castering nosewheels versus rudder controlled nose wheels? That is also a big issue.
You shouldn't. If it's been a long time since you last did one or the other it'll feel a little different at first but not much. Just requires that you remember it's different than that other airplane and act accordingly.

For the same price, the 172 might handle crosswind a little better, which might get you more days. And, a back seat in case you want to bring a (light) friend on a training flight. But then again, if you like that new car smell.... :)

And another important question I have, is how to tell how many miles away I am from an airport just by looking at it.
How long is the runway? How many runway lengths are you from the runway? Sometimes this method is good, sometimes not so good. Landmarks can be very helpful. Glance at chart and pick one or two things which can be identified and guesstimate their distance from the airport. There are usually many things on the chart that can be used for estimating distances so an exact measurement isn't necessary. Of course with EFBs the measurement is usually just two fingers on the tablet.

I personally feel that the 162 is the trickier plane to fly. I think they're a blast but they can be downright hard to land in anything more than a light crosswind.

Add me as a fan of the stoke though, I love that thing.

I wouldn't worry about forgetting those things, after one flight in it again you'd be good to go! It's not like one skill vs the other is required or not! You might one day chose to buy a Cirrus which is a side stick and free castering gear, or chose to get a 182 which is a yoke and steerable gear. Maybe a diamond with a stick and steerable gear, or maybe you fly an Airbus with a side stick, or a Boeing with a yoke. Point is lots of variety and I wouldn't worry about forgetting them, you won't. One quick flight in it and you'd be comfortable again! Go with whatever one you like better, afterallvyou should enjoy your flight training!

Is it ok to inform the control how far you are from an airport or object in the form of nautical miles instead of statue miles?

I'd avoid glass... I love my GPS but I hated the G1000. The numbers on the glass always distracted me... I spent too much time chasing down 1-2 knots or 1-2 degrees when I should have been just flying the aircraft.

The G1000 was nice to fly after I got my license though.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Exactly my problem at the beginning

For your training I would generally stick with one. It is hard enough at first just to get used to the instruments, the controls and the responsiveness of the aircraft. Switching between planes during your initial training will take you longer to try and get proficient.

Now, after you get your ppl flying other aircraft is great experience and will teach you even more about flying.

Make sure you have fun and enjoy the ride!

Just did my flight review in a skycatcher, forgot how much fun that little thing is.

Back