Cessna 150 STC's/Modifications

Tom, if there is no W&B report in the aircraft, how can I properly load it?

As I said before,

I recommend putting together a "Flight Manual Binder" using a 5.5 by 8.5 inch binder with .5 or 1 inch rings. This size will fit in the glove box. Create sections for Weight and Balance reports, Equipment List, STC's and Approved Flight Manual Supplements, and anything else you want. You can even buy a new $12 owners manual and pull the staples out of it so you can hole punch them, re-staple the binding and add to the binder.

This may be true, but not in compliance with the FAA directives.

You need to read up on what is required to be displayed. My meathod is in complete compliance with FAR's.

#5 suggests that an equipment list must be on the airplane, and since it must conform to the aircraft's configuration, it must be kept current.

State aircraft registration may varry between states. As long as in the airplane no one will complain.

Part 91 inspection job aid from the FSIMS:

F. Inspect Aircraft. (Applies to all aircraft)

1) Determine that the proper airworthiness certificate is displayed at the cabin or cockpit entrance. Note that it is legible to passengers and/or crew.

2) Examine the registration certificate to ensure that it is issued for that specific aircraft. Determine that the N-number on the certificate matches the N-number on the aircraft. Check that the certificate is issued to the present owner of the aircraft.

3) Check the radio station license and note its expiration date. If it has expired, inform the operator of the pertinent FCC requirements.

4) Determine that there is a current, approved Airplane Flight Manual (AFM) on board the aircraft.

5) Determine if there is current weight and balance information in the aircraft by examining the AFM. Compare equipment listed on the weight and balance form to the actual equipment installed.

6) If applicable, check the MEL to determine that it has:

a) Been issued by N-number and serial number to the aircraft operator

b) A Letter of Authorization from a district office; check deferred items for placards and dates (Refer to Related Task #58, Approve a Minimum Equipment List.)

7) If a Letter of Deviation from part 125 has been issued, ensure that a true copy is in the aircraft.

8) If the aircraft is leased, determine that a copy of the lease agreement or contract is being carried in the aircraft. Note the expiration date on the lease and determine if the lease is still valid.

9) If applicable, determine that copies of the approved Category II or Category III authorization and manual are in the aircraft.

a) Review the Category II/III authorization and provisions.

b) Check that the aircraft make, model, and N-number is listed.

c) Consider any instrument, airport, or weather requirements listed there or in the manual.

10) If the aircraft operates under a letter of authorization for North Atlantic (NAT) Minimum Navigation Performance Specification (MNPS) airspace, determine if the letter is carried on board the aircraft.

11) Determine if pertinent and current aeronautical charts are available.

12) Ask the operator what type of instrument operations are conducted, for example: ILS, DME, RNAV. Determine if the required radio and navigational equipment is installed for the specific operations conducted.

Last edited:
OP, here's the answer to your question if your missing a 337 for the preheater. That's what I figured...

http://www.reiffpreheat.com/FAQ.htm#QA7

1. Does your system require an STC or Form 337?
No. FAA classifies engine heaters as minor alterations, so an STC or Form 337 is not needed, provided the product has PMA approval, which we have. Some preheaters on the market do not have a PMA. In those cases a Form 337 field approval is necessary. Since we have a PMA, only an engine logbook entry is required to document installation.

Cool. Now I need to find out if it is still installed and if it works. Now that I think srping has finally come to Wisconsin, I won't need it. But it is a nice addition.

that and a empty weight. all the information that lead to the determination of it are kept in the aircraft history files if you wish to keep them.

I usually make an entry in the aircraft maintenance records as to what was done and the numbers that were use to determine the Empty weight, and the new CG empty.

The pilot must determine if the 150 is safe to fly by complying with the "Owners Manual" and figuring the new CG as loaded, that is all the W&B info required to be carried in the 150.

I have owned and operated 3 150 for rental all of which were used to get students PPL check rides, and we never had a single 150 sent away for improper paper work.

I have the graph in the owners manual, plus an updated W&B on a piece of paper in the manual that was done after some equipment was changed.

I have the graph in the owners manual, plus an updated W&B on a piece of paper in the manual that was done after some equipment was changed.

Very typical of aircraft that do not have a ringed binder than would be called the "Airplane Flight Manual" (AFM) in a newer aircraft. The AFM binder allows you to add or remove pages and it contains sections for the W&B record and the Equipment List, Supplements etc. It's a much better method to organizing documents than tossing loose stuff in the paperback Owner's Manual and hoping it doesn't get lost. Especially when there are many mods to the aircraft that required an FAA approved Airplane Flight Manual Supplement (AFMS) like GPS's, autopilots, etc.

Winning stuff is expensive. :)

But it's the fun kind of expensive. I joke with my wife, "If it flies, floats, or f__ks, it's expensive." I've owned a boat, I'm married, and now the plane completes it.:lol:

But it's the fun kind of expensive. I joke with my wife, "If it flies, floats, or f__ks, it's expensive." I've owned a boat, I'm married, and now the plane completes it.:lol:

Going for broke eh? :lol: Only live once, some people don't even do that.

You need to read up on what is required to be displayed. My meathod is in complete compliance with FAR's.

#5 suggests that an equipment list must be on the airplane, and since it must conform to the aircraft's configuration, it must be kept current.

#5 is the owners manual, and yes that should be corrected as the empty weight changes.

1975, M model

Your "M" came from the Factory with a dry vac pump, the oil separator is an added item, and needs the 337 for either a STC or a field approval.

Your "M" came from the Factory with a dry vac pump, the oil separator is an added item, and needs the 337 for either a STC or a field approval.

So am I right to assume that the CD from the FAA would reflect either one of those? If not, how would I go about fixing that?

So am I right to assume that the CD from the FAA would reflect either one of those? If not, how would I go about fixing that?

It should be on the disk. Do you have any data for it at all other than the work order?

If there is nothing on the disk, then its a matter of collecting the STC data which includes the installation instrucions, instructions for continued airworthiness, authorization letter to use the STC etc. Then having an IA perform a conformity inspection on the airplane using the STC data, then filling out the proper paperwork. You can pre-type the 337 so all the IA has to do is sign it and mail it.

You'll have to contact the oil separator maker (assuming airwolf here) to get that data.

Last edited:
I do know it is an airwolf. And all I have is the work order to go by.

Back