Cessna 150 STC's/Modifications

JB1842

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Josh
So I've been going over the logs and old maintenance records of my new (to me) 150. So far I have found entries for a belly drain, a bracket air filter, an Airwolf Oil Seperator, and a Reiff Preheater. I have the Form 337's for the belly drain and the air filter, but nothing for the oil seperator and the preheater. Does this mean that the oil seperator and preheater don't need a 337 entry, the 337's weren't done, or they were removed? What do I look for to see if they are still installed? Any other STC/Mod's that would be beneficial? My field has MOGAS, so I'm thinking that would be the first one to get.

So I've been going over the logs and old maintenance records of my new (to me) 150. So far I have found entries for a belly drain, a bracket air filter, an Airwolf Oil Seperator, and a Reiff Preheater. I have the Form 337's for the belly drain and the air filter, but nothing for the oil seperator and the preheater. Does this mean that the oil seperator and preheater don't need a 337 entry, the 337's weren't done, or they were removed? What do I look for to see if they are still installed? Any other STC/Mod's that would be beneficial? My field has MOGAS, so I'm thinking that would be the first one to get.

You can order the CD from the FAA that has all of your historical records for about $5 IIRC. They are quick to send it to you as well.

What Rotor & Wings said. I buy all the CD's for everything I fly and/or work on.

Isn't the oil seperator standard? That plane came with a wet vacuum pump right? Or is it an aftermarket one?

I wouldn't expect to find a 337 for the pre-heater.

I would get the mogas STC, and expect to replace any cowl mounted landing/taxi lights soon with an LED one. They don't last long being vibrated to death up there.

Last edited:
What Rotor & Wings said. I buy all the CD's for everything I fly and/or work on.

Isn't the oil seperator standard? That plane came with a wet vacuum pump right? Or is it an aftermarket one?

I wouldn't expect to find a 337 for the pre-heater.

The Airwolf is after market, as far as I can tell. Notes on the work order from a few years ago says "owner requested Airwolf Oil Seperator installed" and the work being done.

Don't drop it in the tank.

I have one that was pulled from a 152 tank during an annual. Put new fuel level lines on it

I would get the mogas STC, and expect to replace any cowl mounted landing/taxi lights soon with an LED one. They don't last long being vibrated to death up there.

The Airwolf isn't for the vacuum pump. They're supposed to catch oil escaping from the crankcase breather, but the one we had was a waste of time. There was as much oil on that 172's belly as on any of the rest. I took it off.

I agree with you on the LED landing light and Mogas STC.

Dan

Just MX stuff I can think of. N/A if you aren't doing it.

Oil filter, Oil, .032 safety wire, U674 (18mm) spark plug gaskets if your going to pull plugs. Check ELT battery part # and expiration date. Oil screen gaskets (if oil filter is not installed).

I plan on doing as much of my own maintenance as Part 43 and my knowledge/skills allow. It does have an oil filter installed. I should have taken more pics of the engine and everything else, but I was too excited at the time.

I was looking at the claw for tie down.

http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/9622

I have no experience so I may be full of crap but that looks like cheap polypropylene rope in that kit. Nylon rope is soooooo much nicer.

One review from the website:

I didn't like the yellow cord much. After I tightened it, it just never felt tight, so I ended up going to the hardware store and buying three straps and using them in addition to the yellow cord. I was glad I did, as some serious thunderstorms came through that night.

I saw that, too. I like the anchoring system more than the rope, so replacing the rope won't be a heartache. I'll probably go to the outdoor store and see if I can find a comparable anchoring system. I need something for Oshkosh!

All my time so far is in Cubs. I admit I will miss flying with the door open.

The window on my pilots side would open all the way up and in-flight it stayed open by itself. The slider/prop rod gizmo was missing from it so it would open 90 degrees to the window frame instead of the 45ish degrees of travel.

The window on my pilots side would open all the way up and in-flight it stayed open by itself. The slider/prop rod gizmo was missing from it so it would open 90 degrees to the window frame instead of the 45ish degrees of travel.

Upwards of $200 to get the parts for the window hinge too :yikes:

Upwards of $200 to get the parts for the window hinge too :yikes:
The "M" he has probably doesn't have the same window latch as the "B" I had did. It was easy to bump the thing which then pops open unexpectedly. The hinges were pretty stout so I was never worried about losing the window.

Apparently RV doors just fly off if they aren't latched. :yikes::hairraise:

they may have been recorded to the history files and the paper copy lost. you would still be legal, with the exception of any STC that directs the STC be carried in the aircraft like your auto fuel STC will.

Last edited:
You can order the CD from the FAA that has all of your historical records for about $5 IIRC. They are quick to send it to you as well.

Keep in mind as slow as the FAA is at recording some of this stuff that CD could be as much as 6 months out of date.

I saw that, too. I like the anchoring system more than the rope, so replacing the rope won't be a heartache. I'll probably go to the outdoor store and see if I can find a comparable anchoring system. I need something for Oshkosh!

You might want to find a quart of 5606 hydraulic fluid for brakes. Compass light bulb should be a GE-330. I think the overhead instrument panel light is a GE-94. Navlight bulb for wings RA7512. Can't remeber the rudder nav light bulb.

I recommend putting together a "Flight Manual Binder" using a 5.5 by 8.5 inch binder with .5 or 1 inch rings. This size will fit in the glove box. Create sections for Weight and Balance reports, Equipment List, STC's and Approved Flight Manual Supplements, and anything else you want. You can even buy a new $12 owners manual and pull the staples out of it so you can hole punch them, re-staple the binding and add to the binder.

Binder

Convert 8.5 by 11 sheets to 5.5 by 8.5, just scan on a copier at 62% or so then trim off the excess paper, hole punch the sheet and add to the binder.

Slip the radio station license and registration certificates in the cover. After all that work everything is in one place and well organized.

Last edited:
I recommend putting together a "Flight Manual Binder" using a 5.5 by 8.5 inch binder with .5 or 1 inch rings. This size will fit in the glove box. Create sections for Weight and Balance reports, Equipment List, STC's and Approved Flight Manual Supplements, and anything else you want. You can even buy a new $12 owners manual and pull the staples out of it so you can hole punch them, re-staple the binding and add to the binder.

Binder

Convert 8.5 by 11 sheets to 5.5 by 8.5, just scan on a copier at 62% or so then trim off the excess paper, hole punch the sheet and add to the binder.

Slip the radio station license and registration certificates in the cover. After all that work everything is in one place and well organized.

The C-150 has their weight and balance in the POH. and there is no equipment list for the 150 other than what is given in the POH

The registration, AWC, and any state forms must be displayed in plain view.

so don't throw it in the glove box.

The C-150 has their weight and balance in the POH. and there is no equipment list for the 150 other than what is given in the POH

The registration, AWC, and any state forms must be displayed in plain view.

so don't throw it in the glove box.

Where did I say put the AWC in the glove box? Learn to read.

-150 has their weight and balance in the POH.
BS. The POH has no CURRENT W&B Reports in it unless someone pasted/taped/stapled the updates in there. They are most often documented in several different places such as the logbooks, amended original issued equipment lists or loose pages floating in the airplane or airplane records.

My 1962 Cessna 150 had an equipment list attached to the original factory issued W&B.

Last edited:
BS. The POH has no CURRENT W&B Reports in it unless someone pasted/taped/stapled the updates in there. They are most often documented in several different places such as the logbooks, amended original issued equipment lists or loose pages floating in the airplane or airplane records.

My 1962 Cessna 150 had an equipment list attached to the original factory issued W&B.

did your 150 have a graph in the POH showing the weight and moment arms for each station? and a formula to figure the total moment and total weight over empty weight, and run the graph to see if it was with in the block?

That is your legal weight and balance for the aircraft.

I didn't insinuate that you said anything, but that is where most books like you suggest making end up.

did your 150 have a graph in the POH showing the weight and moment arms for each station? and a formula to figure the total moment and total weight over empty weight, and run the graph to see if it was with in the block?

That is your legal weight and balance for the aircraft.

I didn't insinuate that you said anything, but that is where most books like you suggest making end up.

Do you know the difference between an Owner's Manual and a POH? I don't think so. There is also NO POH for the OP's aircraft.

So you're saying that the airplane's paper manual will, without a doubt, have the current Empty Weight penciled into the generic graph? :rofl:

Do you know the difference between an Owner's Manual and a POH? I don't think so. There is also NO POH for the OP's aircraft.

So you're saying that the airplane's paper manual will, without a doubt, have the current Empty Weight penciled into the generic graph? :rofl:

Ok, so it's an owners manual.

it still contains the W&B info.

and information that was used to figure the empty weight of the aircraft is not required to be carried in the aircraft. just the " Owners Manual" because the center of gravity limits are figured each time the 150 is flown. by running the figures on charts.

Last edited:
As far as the rest of the certificates go that "MUST BE DISPLAYED" MANY MANY MANY aircraft including new jets have ONE document holder and only ONE document can be shown in that holder. Some operators put the AWC in there with a note behind that that says which binder the rest of the documents are located. ITS SEMANTICS. It's in the aircraft available for inspection, who cares?

As far as the rest of the certificates go that "MUST BE DISPLAYED" MANY MANY MANY aircraft including new jets have ONE document holder and only ONE document can be shown in that holder. Some operators put the AWC in there with a note behind that that says which binder the rest of the documents are located. ITS SEMANTICS. It's in the aircraft available for inspection, who cares?
This may be true, but not in compliance with the FAA directives.

OBTW here is the graph I speak of, it is 65 years old, does it look pencil whipped ?

Attachments

• cessna W&B.jpg
    cessna W&B.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
This may be true, but not in compliance with the FAA directives.

Really? What does "displayed" mean? Hidden so you can't see it? Because 90% of the fleet could be out of compliance. :rolleyes2:

So that's all you ever need to determine how to properly load the aircraft?

that and a empty weight. all the information that lead to the determination of it are kept in the aircraft history files if you wish to keep them.

I usually make an entry in the aircraft maintenance records as to what was done and the numbers that were use to determine the Empty weight, and the new CG empty.

The pilot must determine if the 150 is safe to fly by complying with the "Owners Manual" and figuring the new CG as loaded, that is all the W&B info required to be carried in the 150.

I have owned and operated 3 150 for rental all of which were used to get students PPL check rides, and we never had a single 150 sent away for improper paper work.

OP, here's the answer to your question if your missing a 337 for the preheater. That's what I figured...

http://www.reiffpreheat.com/FAQ.htm#QA7

1. Does your system require an STC or Form 337?
No. FAA classifies engine heaters as minor alterations, so an STC or Form 337 is not needed, provided the product has PMA approval, which we have. Some preheaters on the market do not have a PMA. In those cases a Form 337 field approval is necessary. Since we have a PMA, only an engine logbook entry is required to document installation.

Back