Cessna 150 or 152 for rent in Connecticut?

Chris Meyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Chris Meyer
Hello,

Does anyone know of a C150 or 152 for rent in the Hartford/central Connecticut area? I'm just looking for something relatively cheap to rent to plunk around local and give friends and family occasional rides. I used to rent a 150 at Premier Flight at Brainard, but they don't have it anymore.

Thanks,
Chris

Hello,

Does anyone know of a C150 or 152 for rent in the Hartford/central Connecticut area? I'm just looking for something relatively cheap to rent to plunk around local and give friends and family occasional rides. I used to rent a 150 at Premier Flight at Brainard, but they don't have it anymore.

Thanks,
Chris

Few years back I was in that area for a few weeks on business and rented from a place at the Hartford airport the has the Piper Tomahawks in their fleet... A great little plane and your passengers will appreciate the view and the cabin comfort...

Don't believe all the negative hype you hear about them. In order to spin you need to stall, and the Tomahawk gives you plenty of warning before stalling.

Few years back I was in that area for a few weeks on business and rented from a place at the Hartford airport the has the Piper Tomahawks in their fleet... A great little plane and your passengers will appreciate the view and the cabin comfort...

Don't believe all the negative hype you hear about them. In order to spin you need to stall, and the Tomahawk gives you plenty of warning before stalling.

Thanks for the recommendation. I actually learned to fly in those Traumahawks :D

I just like flying the Cessna's more so was hoping for a 150/152.

Thanks!

Chris

Ellington used to have a 152 that the rented out. If you have a tailwheel endorsement Chester has a piper cub.

Keith

Ellington used to have a 152 that the rented out. If you have a tailwheel endorsement Chester has a piper cub.

Keith
Have you done any flying at Ellington? I did my private there in 1984/85, and instructed there in the late 80's
I grew up about a mile from the airport.

I dont know if Northampton is too far for you but they have a 152. Nice school and planes.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Unfortunately, Danbury and Northampton are too far. Not really looking to drive two hours there and back (I'd be coming from Colchester). I do appreciate the suggestions, though.

Keith, you wouldn't happen to know who at Ellington rented the 152s? All I see there now is a helicopter place.

And I do have my tailwheel endorsement! All my flying these days is in a Citabria, so getting checked out in a Cub at Chester sounds like fun. I saw they do sightseeing in a Stearman too. I'd love to get some dual in that!

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Chris

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Unfortunately, Danbury and Northampton are too far. Not really looking to drive two hours there and back (I'd be coming from Colchester). I do appreciate the suggestions, though.

Keith, you wouldn't happen to know who at Ellington rented the 152s? All I see there now is a helicopter place.

And I do have my tailwheel endorsement! All my flying these days is in a Citabria, so getting checked out in a Cub at Chester sounds like fun. I saw they do sightseeing in a Stearman too. I'd love to get some dual in that!

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Chris
Last I knew the 152 is no longer airworthy. Our flight school transferred the airplane to Sapoznik Aviation many moons ago... Unless, just perhaps, there is a different, new airplane? That is possible.

It used to be the a&p that worked in the field at ellington. He had a 152 and 172 and rented them out to the flight school. I did all my training for my private there. That was 12 years ago so I'm not sure if the flight school is still there or not. If you want the email for the cfi at Chester for the cub pm me. Where in colchester are you? I live in the same town over by the police station and Harrys. I'm based out of Windham with my Sonex.

Keith

It used to be the a&p that worked in the field at ellington. He had a 152 and 172 and rented them out to the flight school. I did all my training for my private there. That was 12 years ago so I'm not sure if the flight school is still there or not. If you want the email for the cfi at Chester for the cub pm me. Where in colchester are you? I live in the same town over by the police station and Harrys. I'm based out of Windham with my Sonex.

Keith

Thanks for the info.

I actually live in DC but learned to fly in CT. My daughter lives on Prospect Hill Rd. She's the one I'd be taking up.

I always liked playing in the pattern at Windham and I thought they had a 152 or two there but I guess not anymore.

Thanks,
Chris

DXR is a nasty airport. I'm not sure how there isn't more accidents... Especially at night.

I recently had occasion to talk to another pilot who had trained at DXR.
He Commented that on the day he passed his PPL, he flew out of Danbury and refuses to ever go back there.

On the plus side, if you can successfully fly in and out of DXR you can get in and out of 95% of every field in the US of A without breaking a sweat.

I recently had occasion to talk to another pilot who had trained at DXR.
He Commented that on the day he passed his PPL, he flew out of Danbury and refuses to ever go back there.

On the plus side, if you can successfully fly in and out of DXR you can get in and out of 95% of every field in the US of A without breaking a sweat.

During my PPL training in 1884/85, my instructor sent me to DXR on one of my solo cross country's. I will never forgive home for that..!!:D I'm joking, but not really. I would never send one of my students there...

Anyway, I know several guys that have worked at DXR doing anything from instruction to charter. We may know some mutuals.

I trained at DXR and that's what my instructor used to say. Haven't tried anywhere close to that many fields, so I wouldn't know.

The approach to 35 is interesting. The whole final leg is down a valley, tower can't see you. You can't see the runway for half of the leg (or the airport for that matter). Also you can't fly a downwind/base turn at the usual distance because you have to be farther away in order to enter the valley properly (I guess you could come in high over the hill and drop in, but I wouldn't try that, it's not that wide as far as I remember).
The winds can do funny things there too.
If you are coming in from the west for a left base to 35 you have to have faith there's a runway there, you don't get to see it until you are on shortish final.
I don't know how I would feel if not familiar.

Runway 8/26 is not short, they land charter jets there, but 26 has 2 big sticks right on the approach so you have to be high. There's a video of a guy landing a jet and he explains how the glide slope has to be steeper, no 3 degree GS there.
No runway has VASI/PAPI as it wouldn't make any sense.

From Airnav:
- ACFT USING RWY 35 ARE NOT VISIBLE FM THE TWR DESCENDING BLO 1300' ON BASE LEG TIL APCHG 1/2MI FINAL DUE TO NATURAL TERRAIN.
- PROHIBITED TO ULTRALIGHT & UNREGISTERED ACFT.
- INTXN ECTION TKOFS; STOP & GO TKOFS NOT AUZD.
- LDG DISTANCE AVBL NON-STD; PART 121 & 135 OPNS MUST COMPUTE EFFECTIVE RY LENGTHS. ALL OTHERS BE AWARE REMAINING RY LENGTH AVBL AFTER CLEARING CONTROLLING OBSTN RYS 08 & 26 MAY BE INSUFFICIENT DEPENDING ON TYPE ACFT.
- ARPT CLSD TO SCHEDULED AIR CARRIER OPNS.

They do close 35 (and maybe 17, don't remember) at night.

I haven't been in months, I think I'll fly there again one of these days.

I did a Pilots 'n Paws run to DXR last fall. Landed on 35, took off on 26. I can think of a couple of airports in Michigan that have hairier approaches, including VLL where I was based for many years. The worst thing about my experience at DXR was waiting two hours for the dog to arrive. Second worst thing was taking off directly into the sun. I certainly wouldn't avoid the place, though I'll admit you do have to be on your A-game, but that's true of a lot of fields.

I trained at DXR and that's what my instructor used to say. Haven't tried anywhere close to that many fields, so I wouldn't know.

The approach to 35 is interesting. The whole final leg is down a valley, tower can't see you. You can't see the runway for half of the leg (or the airport for that matter). Also you can't fly a downwind/base turn at the usual distance because you have to be farther away in order to enter the valley properly (I guess you could come in high over the hill and drop in, but I wouldn't try that, it's not that wide as far as I remember).
The winds can do funny things there too.
If you are coming in from the west for a left base to 35 you have to have faith there's a runway there, you don't get to see it until you are on shortish final.
I don't know how I would feel if not familiar.

Runway 8/26 is not short, they land charter jets there, but 26 has 2 big sticks right on the approach so you have to be high. There's a video of a guy landing a jet and he explains how the glide slope has to be steeper, no 3 degree GS there.
No runway has VASI/PAPI as it wouldn't make any sense.

From Airnav:

They do close 35 (and maybe 17, don't remember) at night.

I haven't been in months, I think I'll fly there again one of these days.
Trust me.... In a jet it's short.
Landing 26 your gear needs to basically skim that obstacle light on the hill.

I have seen bigger hills at Colorado airports, but these damn ones, although a bit smaller, seem to be right in the way.

This just may inspire a thread.....

>sigh<

And just to think,
1/3 century ago, Butler Aviation was THE FBO on Brainard (before anyone even cogitated on building an E/W runway or a (horrors) tower there.)
Butler used to be a Cessna dealer and always had at least 2 dozen brand-spanking new -150's (with single digit tach times) sitting on the ramp waiting for rentals.
Used to be THE place to go in CT when you wanted something to fly.
Used to go there all the time when 22B got busy

>sigh<

And just to think,
1/3 century ago, Butler Aviation was THE FBO on Brainard (before anyone even cogitated on building an E/W runway or a (horrors) tower there.)
Butler used to be a Cessna dealer and always had at least 2 dozen brand-spanking new -150's (with single digit tach times) sitting on the ramp waiting for rentals.
Used to be THE place to go in CT when you wanted something to fly.
Used to go there all the time when 22B got busy
When did HFD get a tower? I thought they had one as long as I remember. I started flying at Ellington, oddly 1/3 of a century ago and would have sworn HFD had a tower!!

They didn't have a tower back in the 60's and 70's.
Was all see and be seen (and keep an eye out for traffic using Rensselaer on the other side of the river)

They didn't have a tower back in the 60's and 70's.
Was all see and be seen (and keep an eye out for traffic using Rensselaer on the other side of the river)

Gotcha... 1/2 century was before my time!!

I remember Rentschler field well... Was sad to see it go.

Interesting but I recall Brainard Airport history a bit differently.

I worked at Brainard as a Flight Instructor over a 1/3 century ago (1974-1978). Then flew the mail for Corporate Air for 6 months before moving to a small flight department on the field (1978-1987). The tower was operational during that time and the cessna dealers were C&R ConnAir and then (new owners) CrossCountry Aviation. Butler came after I left (after merging with Atlantic Aviation) so maybe they had the cessna dealership then but didn't realize they were into the aircraft rental biz.

As to the C-150 rentals today, I don't know of any school located where you are looking that have them for rent. There are plenty of C-172's in the area. Perhaps you can combine passengers in lieu of making several trips (making it cheaper :)...)

Kevin

Back