cessna 150 fuel woes

magyarflyer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
magyarflyer
my son cessna 150 E green as slime
he is out of the country for 4-5 years so i flew it the other day finished annual
had 3/4 fuel or so i believed
landed with 2 usable gallons on the left, full tank on right
checked vent, sb on left cap done, blew into left side vent interconnected \
went flying hard rudder inputs from left to right no joy
still full thank on left
fuel lever 2 positions on or off no left no right hard to turn
i guess is time to overhaul fuel selector valve
any other ideas out there

he is out of the country for 4-5 years so i flew it the other day finished annual
still full thank on left
Tried to translate... helped a bit, but still confused...

my lil hustla cessna 150 E chronic as slime
he is outta tha ghetto fo' 4-5 mutha****in years so i flew it tha other dizzle finished annual
had 3/4 gin n juice or so i believed
landed wit 2 usable gallons on tha left, full tank on right
checked vent, sb on left cap done, blew tha **** into left side vent interconnected \
went flyin hard rudder inputs from left ta right no joy
still full give props ta on left
fuel lever 2 positions on or off no left no right hard ta turn
i guess is time ta overhaul gin n juice selector valve
any other scams up there

somehow i expected an intelligent answer like
remove vent line and clean , replace o rings and the entire fuel selector add something to the fuel but instead i got a joke
thanks buddy

remove vent line and clean , replace o rings and the entire fuel selector add something to the fuel but instead i got a joke
thanks buddy
Unfortunately some people here have problems distinguishing between reality and POA when someome asks a reasonable and on topic question. Most of us aren't like that. Usually threads don't dissolve into absurdity or go off topic for at least 5-10 responses. At least you didn't have a problem in flight.

That's a great color of green! Perfect for the St Paddy's Day parade! Next year, I'd ask the parade organizers if you could be one of the floats. Get a small car with a hitch and tow it in the parade. With the appropriate wing walkers, of course.

So are you thinking some of the green slime got in the fuel tank and clogged up the line?

sorry I can't help on the issue but I will say that the topic "fuel woes" and first line "green as slime" made me immediately believe you had fuel contamination.
But yeah, I would imagine based on your description that the fuel selector valve would be the first point to cause those symptoms.

I am not familiar with the routing of the fuel lines or how the fuel selector switch works. You're on the right track by checking the vents. Assuming the lines from each combine at the selector switch, you could crack the fuel lines open where they join the selector to make sure it is getting flow from each tank.

And if it's been sitting 4-5 years it probably needs an annual, so there's that.

I know AvGas is known to last several times longer than mogas, however any mechanics know the story with an airplane sitting for so long with avgas? Mogas would have gunked up the entire fuel system after that long.

are you sticking tanks or wasting your time with the gauges , gauges btw are worse than useless especially on a old 150

I thought the response was funny as well. My initial reaction to the OP's post was that he was either terrible at writing or *fantastic* at poetry.

still full thank on left
I had a 150G, that had the same problem...although a tiny amount of fuel would come out of the right tank while most came out of the left...typically by the time the left tank was nearly on empty, the right tank would be on 7/8 full.
My research showed two things typically caused this:
1) Right gas cap not venting (could be damaged, plugged, or maybe someone replaced the cap with the wrong kind)
2) the left side vent (not the one on the cap, but the one BELOW the wing) is positioned wrong, and not just venting but instead over-pressurizing the left tank.

Sounds like you might have both situations going on, as I did. Corrected with new (correct) fuel cap on right, and repositioning the vent on left. Fuel flow was nearly perfect after that.

His user name suggests that he is Hungarian -- perhaps English is not his first language.

I thought the response was funny as well. My initial reaction to the OP's post was that he was either terrible at writing or *fantastic* at poetry.

His user name suggests that he is Hungarian -- perhaps English is not his first language.

I wasn't trying to be insensitive about it - it was just funny to me that my first reaction to the post was poetry.

Taxied to tha strip in my One Five Oh
Can't floss dis ***** cuz my fuel won't flow
Pulled off da cap, blew in da tank
Vented it proppa widda homemade shank

Whhhaaaaaat? Unh! Come on!

Hilarious when there is a lot of slang in a thread and it goes south in a hurry lol.

thanks buddy

So what did you expect with a nonsensical paragraph as in your original post? The first sentence was gibberish, then the rest had no punctuation, no English skills whatsoever, and you expected a serious, helpful response? Huh. Oh well.

thanks buddy
Put your waders on dude... you'll get a few legit answers here and there, but you threw out some real stinky bait that the PG simpletons here are more than happy to chum on. :rofl:

Put your waders on dude... you'll get a few legit answers here and there, but you threw out some real stinky bait that the PG simpletons here are more than happy to chum on. :rofl:

Waders hell! You need iron-clad underwear to post on POA!

Don't bother with the fuel valve. It's just a shutoff, not a selector. The lines from right and left are teed together before the fuel reaches the valve.

The vent under the left wing vents BOTH tanks. There is an aluminum line that runs across the cabin ceiling, above the headliner, joining the tops of both tanks together. The AD against the fuel caps demands that at least the right fuel cap be replaced with a vented cap in case the underwing vent is plugged by ice or some bug. Most have vented caps on both tanks by now.

So the uneven feeding has several possibilities:

1. A leaking right fuel cap. That causes a lower pressure in the right tank and holds fuel flow back. If that leak is big enough it will pull fuel across from the left tank and siphon it overboard until the left is empty and the right is less than full. The interconnecting vent line is small enough that enough airflow through it will result in an imbalance in pressures in the tanks.

2. Flying one wing low. Very common. Used to see it as a flight instructor. In these airplanes it only takes a couple of degrees to make the fuel flow all wonky.

3. Something restricting fuel flow from the full tank. A rag or leaf or something covering the finger strainer, or accumulated crud in a low spot in the line from that tank. In the 150 the fuel lines are exposed alongside the seats and can get dented by whatever and maybe squashed enough to restrict flow.

I think you're correct.

So what did you expect with a nonsensical paragraph as in your original post? The first sentence was gibberish, then the rest had no punctuation, no English skills whatsoever, and you expected a serious, helpful response? Huh. Oh well.

Ragging on the OP isn't appropriate just because he has difficulty communicating.

Thanks for the good answer, Dan.

And the wheat king is back... I was wondering when he would chime in trying to be possessive about wheat and chaff.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back