Cessna 150 cost

GauzeGuy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GauzeGuy
I've been looking at buying an aircraft lately, and one of the few affordable options that would work for my primary mission would be a Cessna 150.

I've noticed a good range in prices from $10 - 25k. Is it fairly common these days that airworthy examples are available for $10k, or is that more of a sign of serious issues? I figure that I will have to put up with cosmetic issues and older or sometimes INOP avionics at the lower end of the cost spectrum. I just don't want to be buying into serious problems...

Is there anything else out there that would be similar in cost and capability to the C150 (tri gear, 2 seats, etc)? I'm certainly open to suggestions as well!

the price range is more than likely directly related to engine time since overhaul.

the price range is more than likely directly related to engine time since overhaul.

Okay, thanks. So probably an A/C priced at $10k or so is more likely to have an engine that's close to being timed out, but otherwise it should be good to go?

Per above your really buying an engine...go for the newest/lowest time one you can get. Overhauling a little o-200 isn't cheap especially given cranks don't often come back at OH. I've overhauled my piper 180 for less than my 150
Plastic carpet And seats is no big deal to do in a 150

Okay, thanks. So probably an A/C priced at $10k or so is more likely to have an engine that's close to being timed out, but otherwise it should be good to go?
Don't bet on it. $10K isn't much over the core value of the engine itself. With the price that low, there may be a lot of airframe issues to deal with. You'd have to take a good look at the airplane itself as well as its records to have any sort of confidence that this airplane isn't going to be a black hole for your money. Many times, an airplane with a higher purchase price will cost you a lot less overall than a low-priced plane on which you have to do a lot of work unless you're skilled/qualified enough to do the work yourself.

If you're new to the aircraft ownership game, find someone at your local airport with a bunch of ownership experience to mentor you through this process.

You'll need to spend at least 20-25 in my mind to get a "nice" 150

You'll need to spend at least 20-25 in my mind to get a "nice" 150

I'd say that for a 152, not a 150. A friend recently bought a 1981 152 for 21k with a 900 hr engine, king IFR stack (dual nav, one GS) and an otherwise very clean 8/10 interior and about a 7/10 exterior. he looked at 2-3 in that price range.

Whatever it costs it's too much. You can get a cherokee 140 or a nice tri-pacer for the same money and be comfortable.

Cherokee would be okay but I would not want to leave a fabric covered airplane outside. Correct me if i'm wrong tho..

I'd say that for a 152, not a 150. A friend recently bought a 1981 152 for 21k with a 900 hr engine, king IFR stack (dual nav, one GS) and an otherwise very clean 8/10 interior and about a 7/10 exterior. he looked at 2-3 in that price range.

I bought a 76 150 for 22k in 2006...engine had 980 hours on it...I had to overhaul it 182 hours/ 5months later.....calander age is a huge factor in the life of those engines...I love my 150 but if I did it again I'd only look at 0smoh. Buy it run out or pimped out..no in between

Last edited:
I see you're in Denver, based at Centennial. I believe there are a few PoA'ers around there who can probably help mentor you through the process.

The problem with the 150/152 or similar is that unless you have a real good relationship with an A&P you are going to pay through the nose for maintenance. And parts - even stupid little things like switches - you can't just order one from Mouser for a 150...

It's not hard to find an E-AB aircraft with 150 performance...

The trick is finding the right deal. Best thing to do is have a pre-buy done or discuss your financial options and desires with an airplane broker and see what you can work out.

You can find good deals out there for 150 and 152's but to get something that is project done and not a project itself you will be looking at 15K-25K range.

Only negative you're going to run into is you'll see a lot of those aircraft with very high Total Time's on the air frame and a good pre-buy inspection will hopefully keep you away from any air frame issues such as corrosion which is not uncommon for older aircraft. Seeking something that has always been in a hanger is definitely a plus.

There's a nice 1974 Cessna 150 on sale at controller.com with 0 time on the engine since major overhaul, no info on prop time but once again it has a pretty high total time at 10,000 hours but it just had a fresh annual. But then again you're going to see a lot of high TT on these kind of trainer aircraft.

There's also a 1973 on there with only 340 SMOH and SPOH with only 4780 TT on the air frame but still a pre-buy inspection is definitely a safe way to go especially since there's no age specifics on the engine or the props, there's no telling whether the plane last flew 5 years ago or 5 days ago.

The problem with the 150/152 or similar is that unless you have a real good relationship with an A&P you are going to pay through the nose for maintenance. And parts - even stupid little things like switches - you can't just order one from Mouser for a 150...

Loads easier to find parts than to make them...

The couple people who I know who have 150's tell me the opposite. The two owners I know pay 60 +/- and hr to operate. Includes everything but the acquisition cost. (Oil,gas,mx,annual,tiedown,insurance,etc)

What kind of relationship are youmreferring to? Owner does repair, ap signs off and inspects work?

It would be helful if some 150 owners chime. It seems even more desirable with rising fuel prices.

I see you're in Denver, based at Centennial. I believe there are a few PoA'ers around there who can probably help mentor you through the process.

There are some good folk there. I also encourage the OP to dig them out of the snowbank and obtain their guidance.

Is a 150 even a good choice for Denver? I would think the density altitude during summer would make a C172 for better choice if the OP wants to stay with Cessnas.

Piper Pacer! (You get a a better pilot with the deal)

Rich

Good plan. Except the part where the OP specified tri gear, 2 seats and the Pacer is TW and 4.

Cherokee would be okay but I would not want to leave a fabric covered airplane outside. Correct me if i'm wrong tho..
No difference. All airplanes leak and the stuff under the skin gets wet. Aluminum corrodes. Steel tubing rusts. Leaving an airplane outside in the weather is a recipe for problems regardless of what it's made of.

I hope GauzeGuy is a small guy or wants to fly alone much of the summer if he's going to base a C-150 out of Centennial.

This is so utterly simple. If one is going to purchase a certificated aircraft, one simply cannot beat the venerable Cessna 150 for economy. It will take up less hangar space, use less gas, and burn up valuable mechanic time than any other aircraft of it's vintage. Moreover, tens of thousands were made, so mechanics are familiar with them and parts can be had.

There are examples that will burn through more mechanic time to be certain, but having the mechanic who does the annual do a pre purchase inspection will limit such occurrences. But this is the case for practically any vintage certificated aircraft, any of them can become money pits. The good thing about a Cessna 150 is there is less to go wrong to make it one. The bad thing is you'd better get used to not going very fast. Then again, its an airplane. I took mine all over the place and still miss it.

Grumman Yankee with an O-230
(I might know where you can get one ... )

where - how much? I think they are 0-235's but..

Having flown a 150 and a AA-1, at 6'1, 235, I'd say the AA-1 was more comfortable. There are a couple AA-1's on controller right now, listed right around $20,000. If I was spending about that and the choices were 150/152 vs AA-1, I'd go AA-1 hands down, much more fun to fly.

That said, at the $20,000 level, there are much better deals out there, especially if you are willing to go tube & fabric tailwheel.

Having flown a 150 and a AA-1, at 6'1, 235, I'd say the AA-1 was more comfortable. There are a couple AA-1's on controller right now, listed right around $20,000. If I was spending about that and the choices were 150/152 vs AA-1, I'd go AA-1 hands down, much more fun to fly.

AA1's have all the same issues as 150s, and I doubt the parts are any more easily found.

That said, at the $20,000 level, there are much better deals out there, especially if you are willing to go tube & fabric tailwheel.

Certainly, but they also involve more issues. One needs the tailwheel training and certification, and one would be far better off keeping such aircraft in a hangar. And they still have the same issues as a 150 even more so, since they are all older and have expendable coverings.

Is a 150 even a good choice for Denver? I would think the density altitude during summer would make a C172 for better choice if the OP wants to stay with Cessnas.
Thanks for putting two and two together -- I missed that combination. Yes, a 150 is pretty much a single-seater in Denver, especially in the summer, unless you get one of those 150HP STC'd jobs. A run-out stock 150 might be the basis for such a conversion, but by the time you get done, you're going to have at least $25K invested. Finding one with the conversion already done would probably be a lot more cost-effective.

where - how much? I think they are 0-235's but..
The stock AA-1-series engine is a 108-115HP O-235, but there are a couple of STC's for 150-160HP O-320 engines, and a lot of AA-1x's have that mod. That would be a good choice if you want the things a Yankee gives that a C-150 doesn't (more speed, sportier handling, better visibility with the bubble canopy), don't plan to work off short or unpaved strips, and are located at a high elevation like Denver.

Why would you pay more for a 152 vs a 150 when 95% of it is the same plane.

For a 5000tt and 1000 or less on a RECENT overhaul (1800TBO o-200) I'd pay up to 14.5k, if it's decked out (G430W, nice IFR panel w/ loc/gs, nice paint) I'd go up to $16.5k

As far a mx is concerned, annual should be around 700-800 (less if owner assist) if nothing is wrong with the plane (see PRE-BUY).

I know of one that was just picked up, late model 150 slant tail, garmin panel gps, under 200SMOH (recent), under 4k tt, no snags, annualed and OTD for under 14k

Just remember owning a plane is as expensive as you want to make it, if you know how to source out your own parts (salvage yard, ebay/barnstormers, supply COs etc), are mechanically inclined and know how to negotiate, get to know a freelance AP, it's a GREAT way to fly!

If you send me 20 grand, I will send you a freshly overhauled 0-230

Ok, I'm writing it now. It's gonna be post-dated, and three party, out of state, and all I've got is a napkin and purple crayon. Can I get some cash back?

I know of one that was just picked up, late model 150 slant tail, garmin panel gps, under 200SMOH (recent), under 4k tt, no snags, annualed and OTD for under 14k

Please if you find another deal like this send me the info.

I would pay a tiny bit more for a 152 vs 150 because the lycoming has a higher TBO and is a bit better on maintenance. Also, I think the 152's have a tad more HP and they benefit from the bowed out doors which add a little bit to cockpit shoulder room.

There are also more 152's with a standard six pack and not anything funky like some of the 150's which have what I would call a shotgun panel.

Back