Cessna 150 cost

Might you have meant an O-320? It makes the Yankee quite spunky.

Why, yes - yes, I did. Thank you.
An O-320.
Gets person out of most any place they can get into with that plane. Unlike the O-235, which is just suicidal!

dell30rb - send me a PM if you're actually interested.

Ok, I'm writing it now. It's gonna be post-dated, and three party, out of state, and all I've got is a napkin and purple crayon. Can I get some cash back?

No but you can have my hotel on park place if I can be the battleship. I'll throw in a get out of jail free card and a bank error in your favor.

Gets person out of most any place they can get into with that plane. Unlike the O-235, which is just suicidal!
First, there are lots of places into which you can get a Yankee but out of which it will not fly, since the takeoff distances are about double the landing distances. Even with the big engine, takeoff distances are not significantly shorter than landing distance, so it isn't that hard to shoehorn it into a field from which it simply cannot take off, especially if it's unpaved. Caveat aviator.

Second, an O-235-powered Yankee is not "suicidal" if you don't exceed the airplane's capabilities, i.e., don't overload it and don't try to take off on too short a runway (say, less than 2500 feet of paved surface at sea level/standard day to have a nice safety margin). My wife and I put about 400 hours on our 108 HP AA-1B safely (even at Clovis NM, where DA's were 8000 feet in the summer) by observing those rules. Then Ben came along and started to grow, and we traded up to a Cheetah.

Why would you pay more for a 152 vs a 150 when 95% of it is the same plane.

It's not. Since much of the value is in the engine, and since the 152's O-235 is good for 2400 hour TBO instead of the 150's O-200 of 1800, there's a big difference already. A third more time. And when we consider that the O-200 typically needs top end rework (valves) by mid-time, while the Lyc happily runs to TBO (in my experience), we have an even bigger difference between the two airplanes.

Drawbacks: The 152 has a 24-volt electrical system, though, and that battery costs three or four times as much as the 12-volter but doesn't last any longer.

And the 152's "gullwing" McCauley prop has to come off for NDI every 1000 hours. There's an AD on that.

Sure not 95% the same airplane.

Dan

First, there are lots of places into which you can get a Yankee but out of which it will not fly, since the takeoff distances are about double the landing distances. Even with the big engine, takeoff distances are not significantly shorter than landing distance, so it isn't that hard to shoehorn it into a field from which it simply cannot take off, especially if it's unpaved. Caveat aviator.

Second, an O-235-powered Yankee is not "suicidal" if you don't exceed the airplane's capabilities, i.e., don't overload it and don't try to take off on too short a runway (say, less than 2500 feet of paved surface at sea level/standard day to have a nice safety margin). My wife and I put about 400 hours on our 108 HP AA-1B safely (even at Clovis NM, where DA's were 8000 feet in the summer) by observing those rules. Then Ben came along and started to grow, and we traded up to a Cheetah.

Of course you're right.
I just momentarily forgot that there is no room for hyperbole or casual conversation on this board.
I'll crawl back under my rock now. :rolleyes2:

In case any one wants to know the prices of 0-200 rebuild engines don't ask a CFI, go look it up in T-A-P and see for your self.

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/1232189.html

That's top of the market.

there is no set core charge for the 0-200 it varies from shop to shop, because the factory does not rebuild them any more. The factory will sell you a new one 0-200-D, but they won't take yours in for core.

You can price out all the parts to do the overhaul on your 0-200-A here
http://www.aeroinstock.com

That applies to the 150, too, only worse. I used to land and stop a 150 in 300 or 400 feet, even on warmer days at 3000' ASL. That airplane, with full flaps and over the fence at 1.1 Vso, will stop real quick, but it will use up another 1500 feet getting off again.

Dan

This aircraft sold this spring at $18,500. 4300+ TT 850+ SMOH, 0-200-A with early Superior Millennium cylinders, No Damage history, New King KY 97 com, and new King Transponder with mode C. new interior, new paint and windows. New Cleveland brakes, wheels and tires.

Attachments

• DSCN2064.jpg
    DSCN2064.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN2068.jpg
    DSCN2068.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN2071.jpg
    DSCN2071.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN2069.jpg
    DSCN2069.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Please if you find another deal like this send me the info.

I would pay a tiny bit more for a 152 vs 150 because the lycoming has a higher TBO and is a bit better on maintenance. Also, I think the 152's have a tad more HP and they benefit from the bowed out doors which add a little bit to cockpit shoulder room.

There are also more 152's with a standard six pack and not anything funky like some of the 150's which have what I would call a shotgun panel.

For the original poster:

TBO is not really a meaningful number in your situation. It would be different if you were a flight school purchasing a brand new 152 but you're not. The same goes for TSMOH and such, it doesn't guarantee the motor is going to outlast or out perform or is in any way better than a perfectly good running one that may be very near to, already has reached or possibly even passed published TBO.

The 152 has more power but it's heavier. It does have a bit more elbow room and a 24 volt electrical system but it also has that weird prop with the AD and the flaps are restricted to 30 deg.

For your criteria there really isn't much other than the 150/152 or the Cherokee 140. The Grumman Yankee sure but like the Piper Tomahawk - not many out there to choose from.

The best thing to do is not constrain yourself to any specific model choice, go shopping and pick the best deal you can find. As with anything used there's an element of "crap shoot" and your taking a chance but you can mitigate the risk with diligence by refusing to get emotional and taking the time to thoroughly check out the candidate before buying it.

There's also the chance that you may stumble upon a sweetheart deal - you never know.

Last edited:
For the original poster:

The 152 has more power but it's heavier.

You are speaking of the 0-235-N__

the cylinders for that engine are
Item #: O5K23038
Lycoming Cylinder Kit
Retail Price: $1681.52

Your Price: $1,597.44

Lycoming Cylinder Kit for
Models O-235:
N2A,N2C,P1,
P2A,P2C,P3C Narrow Deck
Nitrided Barrel

The price of a 0-200-A cylinder is $899.00

both engines take 4

You are speaking of the 0-235-N__

the cylinders for that engine are
Item #: O5K23038
Lycoming Cylinder Kit
Retail Price: $1681.52

Your Price: $1,597.44

Lycoming Cylinder Kit for
Models O-235:
N2A,N2C,P1,
P2A,P2C,P3C Narrow Deck
Nitrided Barrel

The price of a 0-200-A cylinder is $899.00

both engines take 4

Tom, just curious - how do crankshaft and cam prices compare for those two engines?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I appreciate the feedback given by all. I definitely have quite a bit to consider yet before making any final decisions. Finishing the training will be my first priority though, and I'll see what happens after that.

Yes, I do fly out of KAPA, and has been noted it would largely be a single seat aircraft at these density altitudes for much of the year.

I appreciate the feedback given by all. I definitely have quite a bit to consider yet before making any final decisions. Finishing the training will be my first priority though, and I'll see what happens after that.

Yes, I do fly out of KAPA, and has been noted it would largely be a single seat aircraft at these density altitudes for much of the year.
Welcome to POA! There are a number of pilots (including me) based at KAPA and quite a few around the Denver area. We occasionally get together for lunch, dinner or flying so keep an eye out for posts on that subject.

For your criteria there really isn't much other than the 150/152 or the Cherokee 140. The Grumman Yankee sure but like the Piper Tomahawk - not many out there to choose from.

Pretty much so... I did the same homework as OP and nothing dents 150's superiority as the cheapest certified option (that is not a ragwing taildragger). AA-1 and PA-38 round up the picture. There's also an odd Beech B19 here and there. What's really amazing, the cheapest B19s are not necesserily those with O-346. I see how everyone points to Cherokee and 172, but they really aren't in the same price class. Put together a spreadsheet and you'll see.

After poking at 150s for a while and coming very close to a deal, I started to think that I actually want a used RANS S-6ES with Poli-fiber sails. Just need one discounted to something like $30k. It's like a Tri-pacer, only with Rotax and EXB maintenance regime. I really don't have the taste for antiques.

yet you advocate buying a C-150 ?
Anything built before I was born is an antique. Anything built aft that but before I started flying is a classic. Anything built after that is modern. Relevant dates are 1951 and 1969.

Anything built before I was born is an antique. Anything built aft that but before I started flying is a classic. Anything built after that is modern. Relevant dates are 1951 and 1969.
fair enough, but another way to look at it is which design is being made today ? Piper pacers (in the form of wagabonds) cubs (various clone manufacturers) and champs (scouts) are still in production. There hasn't been a new C-150 made in a long time

I searched for months until I came up with a 1976 150M, 2000TT and 100 SMOH. Flew it from Bend OR back to Louisville KY.

I'm going to go back to the original question because I've been having the same thoughts - with a focus on a specific aircraft. Obvioulsy nobody here has done a pre-buy on this airplane, but given the specs, is it reasonably priced?

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/aircraft/Single+Engine+Piston/1968/Cessna/150H/1592996.html

That's 3492 total time, 100 smoh, $14,500 for a basically bare bones 150H that I could probably keep at a grass field a couple of miles from my house.

I see this and it feels like a relatively good deal, pending a positive pre-buy. As an extra bonus I'd get to fly it 30 hours across the country to get it home.

So what do you think about the 150? There's always other aircraft models that you can pick and maybe should pick. But for the price, is this reasonable or does the relatively low price alarm you?

I'm going to go back to the original question because I've been having the same thoughts - with a focus on a specific aircraft. Obvioulsy nobody here has done a pre-buy on this airplane, but given the specs, is it reasonably priced?

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/aircraft/Single+Engine+Piston/1968/Cessna/150H/1592996.html

That's 3492 total time, 100 smoh, $14,500 for a basically bare bones 150H that I could probably keep at a grass field a couple of miles from my house.

I see this and it feels like a relatively good deal, pending a positive pre-buy. As an extra bonus I'd get to fly it 30 hours across the country to get it home.

So what do you think about the 150? There's always other aircraft models that you can pick and maybe should pick. But for the price, is this reasonable or does the relatively low price alarm you?

Nothing about that aircraft alarms me, but the one caveat is that the fellow who does the pre buy inspection will not be the one who does the annual. Hence you could be in for a surprise down the road. Time was one wouldn't have to go on tremendous cross countries to pick up an acceptable aircraft like a 150 or a 152, but perhaps things have changed.

I
.....that I could probably keep at a grass field a couple of miles from my house.

What's the length and altitude of that field? The 150 is not a short-field airplane, especially on grass, at altitude, on a warm day.

Dan

fair enough, but another way to look at it is which design is being made today ? Piper pacers (in the form of wagabonds) cubs (various clone manufacturers) and champs (scouts) are still in production. There hasn't been a new C-150 made in a long time
They're also building replica Spads and Camels at Rheinbeck, but those are special cases. In terms of design, those "new" Cubs are still antiques in my mind.

Besides the aircraft mentioned, the two seat CH 2000 trainer is also still being built and sold by AMD. Allegedly roughly comparable in performance to a C-152 (even uses the same engine.)
Here's one late model 1997 CH 2000 with IFR panel and an asking price just under $21k:

http://www.controller.com/listingsd...H-2000/1997-ZENAIR-ZENITH-CH-2000/1186155.htm

46" wide cabin sounds more appealing than the C-152 I trained in.

This aircraft sold this spring at $18,500. 4300+ TT 850+ SMOH, 0-200-A with early Superior Millennium cylinders, No Damage history, New King KY 97 com, and new King Transponder with mode C. new interior, new paint and windows. New Cleveland brakes, wheels and tires.

Over 850SMOH for $18,500, that must be a typo, or maybe he was drinking! And a "new" king 97, that's like a new 1992 Buick. I wouldnt touch that at all, you can get one for less with less hours on the engine!

Almost 1,000hrs SMOH, hows that a good deal?

Seems like a fair, but not low, price if it results in a airworthy and straight aircraft.

$32,500 WHOLY SMOKES! Is that the price for just one, or is there a second 150 that comes with it?

Perhaps he forgot it's STILL a 150 lol

The 150-152 are very similar and the extra TBO doesnt make up for the extra premium people seem to think they command, and the bowed doors, that started on the 150G and only buys you like a 1.5 inches. As for the TBO... how many hours are you really going to be putting on??

Buy it like you're going to flip it, when it comes to 150s I wouldnt bother EVER overhauling one unless I could do it myself.

It's easier to just buy a 150 with a few hundred since overhaul and sell it BEFORE it hits 1000SMOH.

If you can negotiate you might even sell for a few bucks more then you bought it.

Last edited:
Over 850SMOH for $18,500, that must be a typo, or maybe he was drinking! And a "new" king 97, that's like a new 1992 Buick. I wouldnt touch that at all, you can get one for less with less hours on the engine!

The guy who bought it is as happy as can be with it.

Buy it like you're going to flip it, when it comes to 150s I wouldnt bother EVER overhauling one unless I could do it myself.

It's easier to just buy a 150 with a few hundred since overhaul and sell it BEFORE it hits 1000SMOH.

If you can negotiate you might even sell for a few bucks more then you bought it.

In this market?? get real.

In this market?? get real.

You seems to be a good A&P, sales, not so much :wink2:

In a market where someone bought that 150 for 18k and is HAPPY with that deal, hell I'll open up a used plane lot :rofl:

You seems to be a good A&P, sales, not so much :wink2:

In a market where someone bought that 150 for 18k and is HAPPY with that deal, hell I'll open up a used plane lot :rofl:

Gotta remember he bought it at 18, he can try to sell it at 14 and maybe get a call.

But he has flown it all summer with students in the left seat, he is ahead of the money.

For the Denver area, I'd recommend a 160hp Cherokee 140 over the C150. The Cherokee 140/160 will still give you two usable seats with room for some baggage and fuel at that elevation. It's much faster too, much roomier inside and it's cheap to maintain and insure and any A&P knows how to work on them. The heaters work much better in a Cherokee too for cold winter flying.

Last edited:
It depends of course on what you want to do, not everyone wants to be a commercial rated multi-engine cloud puncher and many could be quite happy with a little 150. Especially these days with avgas near six bucks a gallon.

Kind of pushing the envelope and there aren't a lot of them but one of those Varga Kachina's might be fun. I've never flown in one but always liked the looks of them.

Heh. Ever thought about co-ownership in a 182 with a busted DME? Haha. :)

You should meet up with us nutty other Colorado PoA groupies sometime. We haven't done a fly-out recently, but we sometimes get organized enough to do it. Clark and Murphy are over at KFTG, Greg is up at KBJC, and some are either at KAPA or KBJC... One had a nice Cherokee Six destroyed in the KAPA hailstorm earlier this year. :(

I won't be at the airport (that I know of) this weekend, my airplane is wandering around South Dakota unless co-owner's plans changed, and I have a family-mandatory event to attend on Saturday.

But, happy to meet up at the hangar sometime. If you don't have a ramp badge, easiest place to meet up is Denver Jet Center East/Denver Air Connection Terminal, out at the East end.

A year older than me, and many years earlier starting to fly. That said, what you consider to be modern is classic to me. I refer to anything in our club, the oldest being our Arrow built in 1969. We got rid of our (in your definition) classics a while back. :D

What's the length and altitude of that field? The 150 is not a short-field airplane, especially on grass, at altitude, on a warm day.

Dan

A couple of choices - 1) 2800' grass, 350 MSL, 2) 2200' grass 300 MSL or 3) 3000'x40' "paved" 240 MSL

Personally I don't like the 40' wide runway, the club has already lost a plane there when someone let a tire get off the side in a crosswind. I put paved in quotes because it was paved 30 years ago, poorly and has not been well maintained. It might be more like 35' wide by this point. It's also in a hole with trees all around...just not comfortable.

The mission is to fly...and sometimes to go somewhere very slowly.

Back