Century I autopilot with GPS, what can it do?

MarkH

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MarkH
I'm a low time PPL, looking to buy my first plane. My only experience with autopilots is with a club TTA with a GFC500/650/Dual G5 setup and it is awesome. I am working on my instrument rating and I don't plan on much more than logging some hood time in my personal plane (even after rated, I don't think I can afford a plane I would be comfortable flying single-pilot IFR in). I am planning to do most of my training and check ride in the club plane mentioned.

Having said that, I have come across a couple of older planes with Century/Piper/Altimatic autopilots, and I am wondering what capability they could offer if I bit the bullet and bought the GPS. (For simplicity, I am focusing this question on single axis, so no trim or altitude, but with the presumption that a 2 axis will offer at least equal features)

To my question:

I'm trying to get an idea of how much capability a GPS navigator can add to an older airplane.

If starting with a Century 1 with VOR following, and adding a GNX 175 (or GNC 430W) to replace one of the 2 Navs, what additional abilities will it add to the autopilot?

I presume it will be able to track paths to any GPS waypoints, not just VORs, but other things that I am wondering about:

Will it be able to automatically follow the flight plan?

Will it be able to follow an approach, one fix to the next?

Will it be able to perform an automated hold?

It might hold course....but doesn't transition well to new waypoints. I had one in my Six with a 430W. This was the main reason for selling and buying my Bo.....to upgrade to a better autopilot.

It will not track an approach.

Last edited:
Not sure what a Century 1 autopilot is and what it can do, but the nomenclature is a bit confusing. For example, my Piper Autocontrol III B is really a Century II. While it does not automate vertical commands at all, it follows headings, tracks VOR courses and ILSs, and possessed a wing leveler. When you couple a capable G430W to this autopilot with GPSS( I have an Aspen), it transforms the airplane magically able to follow flight plan legs or GPS approaches or holds. I’m not sure what problems with new waypoints mean, but if I put a new fix in, it will fly direct to it.

It will track a course but won't hold a heading. Because of this, I believe GPSS is out the window, hence @Checkout_my_Six 's comment about not transitioning well to new waypoints. This also means it won't fly a hold. Furthermore, it won't intercept a course. You'll have to get yourself on the course line and track it before engaging the Century I.

I have one tied to GPS.. it will sometimes hold a course and sometimes not.. it will fly a localizer approach pretty well for some reason (even though it's not meant for that) I spend more time fiddling with it that what it's worth. I want a GFC500 if that tells you anything!

I have a Century 1 and I never use it.
I wanted it to be better since I fly a Cirrus which means I can't hand fly an airplane anymore.

The Century 1 literally levels the wings so I can grab a flask out of my flight bag.
It wanders and kinda lethargically tracks VORs.

I guess if I got disoriented, I would flip it on so I could get my head back on straight.
Just don't expect much from it.

Thanks for all of the help. It cleared things up for me a good bit in the digital vs old school autopilot debate.

I have a Century 1 and I never use it.
I wanted it to be better since I fly a Cirrus which means I can't hand fly an airplane anymore.

The Century 1 literally levels the wings so I can grab a flask out of my flight bag.
It wanders and kinda lethargically tracks VORs.

I guess if I got disoriented, I would flip it on so I could get my head back on straight.
Just don't expect much from it.

If the Century I is not much more than a wing leveler, then it is not very capable. On my Piper Autocontrol IIIB (Century II), I have long ago abandoned using the wing leveler capability as the knob has to be constantly adjusted to actually keep the wings level, not much more helpful than actually holding the ailerons via the yolk to level it with the horizon. A Century II is much much more capable and connectable to a GPS that gives you something that is truly desirable.

Back