Central America

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
Has anyone here flown into Mexico or deeper into Central America?

Looking at joining Baja Bush Pilots or Caribbean Sky Tours. Any thoughts of these organizations?

I'd like to fly my plane from Reno to Panama.

Last edited:
FoxMike often heads south, not sure how often he visits here.

Thoughts? Caribbean Sky Tours seems to be a good source of info compiled in one place. A little bit spendy but would save a lot of research time. If you do make it to Panama be real careful how you enter Mexico from the south. Their are some pretty stiff fines if ya screw it up.

For what it's worth I've flown into Panama many times and used a number of airports there. But those trips were in a LearJet and we generally flew direct from FL across Cuba and the Caribbean. Panama is great. Beautiful country, people, beaches, fishing, etc. and they use the US$ as currency. Landing in Mexico. Ugh.

Last edited:
Flown into Monterrey a bunch, but that was 121.

Don't drink the water. :D

I was in Guatemala last May, but I tubed it. I drank the water, ate everything put in front of me, swam in the lake and I was just fine. Nice to know I still have the GI system of Superman.

Sorry I can’t help the OP with his question. When he figures it out I hope he’ll tell me, I’d like to take my airplane back there sometime soonish.

Thoughts? Caribbean Sky Tours seems to be a good source of info compiled in one place. A little bit spendy but would save a lot of research time. If you do make it to Panama be real careful how you enter Mexico from the south. Their are some pretty stiff fines if ya screw it up.

Yup. Looks like only MMTP and MMCZ are the only valid POEs from the south.

Never gone to Panama, but gone to Mexico and Belize. Personally I would use Belize as a fuel stop over Mexico if you can make it that far. If you're talking about taking your Dakota, you'll need to stop in Mexico somewhere... at least once. I've only done Cozumel (pretty easy) and Cancun (a real pain).

it all depends i have stopped from texas into veracruz on the way to guatemala and if you have a nice talk with the boss he may let you do La Aurora-veracruz-texas with permission. Unless you can go direct from guate to texas avoid laredo as entry
suggest handler in guatemala and in mexico make sure you get an import permit at the entry into mexico if you are going to spend time there otherwise big fine
60 bucks for the permit usual fee

I flew into Loreto as part of a Baja Bush Pilots tour - we had a blast. BBP made everything really easy, highly recommended. I'm not sure how much they'd help if you're going on your own (sans tour) ... even with the tour hand-holding, it was a bit scary.

I have been to Panama several times as well as all of the other Latin Countries. I think the best information you can get comes from Baja Pilots. It does take a lot of research to be able to do the trip without difficulty. I always get a trip kit from Jepp as they have the most reliable entry information for each country. If you speak Spanish things go easier but I get along OK with only a few words of Spanish. Some countries require one to two weeks of notice before arrival. This is done by FAX or email. They usually want proof of insurance up front so check your policy territory limits. Lots more to know so join Baja Pilots and begin your study.

Looking at joining Baja Bush Pilots or Caribbean Sky Tours. Any thoughts of these organizations?

I do indeed.

Baja Bush Pilots and Caribbean Sky Tours are both great organizations. I have a bit more history with Caribbean Sky Tours (they are closer to me geographically) and they are the AOPA partner in Mexico, so if you have AOPA + Legal then they are the ones who will get the call.

I'd be happy to help you get things figured out. I sent you a PM with my email address.

I’ve flown to Mexico.
I joined BPP and they were a huge help.
Do it. It’s a piece of cake.

Barry Seal did it for a while.....

:cheers:
I have been waiting for mention of him since this thread was started.
As I read through the posts I thought "Surely someone has mentioned him already". Once I read all the posts, I looked at myself in the mirror and thought "No one mentioned it, here is your chance, and stop calling me Shirley"

As I read through the posts I thought "Surely someone has mentioned him already". Once I read all the posts, I looked at myself in the mirror and thought "No one mentioned it, here is your chance, and stop calling me Shirley"

And you let the 'Dog beat you to it! See what marriage does to you. Slows you down. ;)

On a more serious note, headed to St Lucia on Saturday. Struggling to find any GA planes to rent, at all. Or any info on an American PPL flying down there but coming up zeros, anyone?

Back