Centering one self

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
One of the better flights latley.

Flew out with no idea where I wanted to go, found some soft sand and beached her, no cell reception, no other humans as far as the eye can see, just hanging out and walking on the beach, it's like decompressing your head.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
friggin awesome. where is this? I mean, approximately, you don't have to give away a secret like this........

Do you ever worry that it won't start back up when you want to go home? I've had airplanes let me down three times over my time. Do you pack a load of tools and parts?

Flew out with no idea where I wanted to go, found some soft sand and beached her, no cell reception, no other humans as far as the eye can see, just hanging out and walking on the beach, it's like decompressing your head.

image.jpg

image.jpg
It's called head time.. time to get your head right.

Shucks, you're the expert, but to me the floats look pretty low in the water on the first pic. I guess that's normal??

Just how she sits, those are smaller/longer floats, which helps in cruise but I do loose a little gross weight wise on the water, just a trade off, but not one which has ever caused me trouble for my mission.

As for break downs, I carry some stuff and I also am very conscious not to foul plugs and the like.

@James331 that's a great motivator to get an ASES addon. Been thinking of doing that for a while but problem for me is staying current down here. Looks very relaxing though.

I'm insanely jealous right now. I was looking at some seaplanes earlier and I came to the conclusion that a quad city challenger would be the cheapest way I could get something on floats. I know nothing about seaplanes or amphibs but it would be amazing to be able to land on the water somewhere and "beach" it.

Jealous. As someone who loves the water and boating almost more that flying SeaPlane is on my wish list but unfortunately out here is California we do not have a lot of landing opportunities to go explore like other parts of the country to make it truly worthwhile.

Looks like heaven to me! We used to have a small airstrip on a lake nearby. Not quite as pretty, but peaceful and quiet with nobody around. Sure miss it now that it's closed.

@James331 that's a great motivator to get an ASES addon. Been thinking of doing that for a while but problem for me is staying current down here. Looks very relaxing though.
It's easier to stay current in FL. It's just about impossible here in GA.

That's what I was noticing, although there appears to be some effort to open up Lanier. It seems like AL is pretty open to seaplanes and I've thought about going over to waterwings to get that add on.

That's what I was noticing, although there appears to be some effort to open up Lanier. It seems like AL is pretty open to seaplanes and I've thought about going over to waterwings to get that add on.
There has been quite a bit of movement to open up Lanier with little resistance, as far as I know. I haven't personally looked into where it's at but that seems to be the general consensus. I don't know what the hold up could be.

You'd have to be crazy to put an airplane on any large, open area on the weekend at Lanier, though.

Straight floats?

Amphibs

Straight floats really wouldn't work for my mission, and it's better for the plane to live in a nice hangar, shy of a overnight somewhere. Float planes don't make the best boats.

True, if you live anywhere near a seaplane rental. For me that's about 2 hours away on a good day..one way. Or if I had about 200K lying around I could buy a nice 185 :)

When centering myself I usually take a look at the ball on the Turn Indicator. ;-)

Nice flight though! :)

Too cool man, thanks for sharing!

Oh wow, that's just what I needed for my sh*tty Tuesday at work.
We need more pictures!!

Haven't been back out yet, with work and all that stuff, but here's some more and I'm cutting ya off ;)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Those are nice, they make me feel like I am on vacation. Thanks.
(and I see you value your privacy as much as I do mine :) )

Now, would you mind enlightening us dry-walkers on the procedure of anchoring an aircraft like this? I would have to guess you water taxi toward the shore, kill the engine, throw out the anchor, throw the rode over the strut and when you get close enough to shore, you tie off the rode and swing her around? (And eventually tie it to a float or somewhere?)

Thanks!

Not a whole lot of anchoring with seaplanes, at least for me, one you got to haul the anchor with you, two you got all that line and three its harder to use power to really set a anchor properly like with a boat.

What I do with nice soft sand beaches like the one in the picture is to make a few passes in the air, a couple on the water to check the condition of the landing area, after that I approach at a 45 dead slow, like idle and only on one mag, with avionics off, belts off, door open, once I know I'm good and shallow I'll pull my water rudders, pull the mixture and get on the float, step off and just stop the plane (not too much weight), turn it around by hand and pull her up onto the soft sand, if I'm going to overnight I'll tie a line from the tail stinger to a tree and possibly a few springs lines too if conditions warrant it. SOMETIMES I will use a smaller aluminum danforth anchor on the beach if I know there won't be anything else to tie off to.

Aside from that, I'll sometimes tie a bridal off from the bow cleats to a buoy or something and break out a little cheapie inflatable roll up, or better yet I'll have a canoe or something already tied off the buoy.

Docking is the least ideal, it's OK for loading buy not good for longer term, especially high docks, the floats actually go outwards from the water line, unlike most boats where it's straight down or even inward from the waterline down.

For overnights I prefer to beach/ramp the plane or just have her on a airport on her wheels. Amphibs are great at a lot of stuff, but they are not really great at being a full on boat

FAA is gonna nail ya one day with all that spray paint covering the N#. Dare ya to blast though a TFR like that!

image.jpg

image.jpg

James,

You suck.. Love POA. Really though, I would kill to be just unplugged for a weekend.

Back