Cell phone use with GA headset

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Who has used an adapter to connect a cell phone to their GA headset? I was thinking of this from AS. $100 not a bad investment if radio failure.

Call the tower and let them know what is up.

PA-86A.jpg

There are lots of headsets out there with a bluetooth interface for calls and/or streaming music. I have made use of both functions many times.

There are lots of headsets out there with a bluetooth interface for calls and/or streaming music. I have made use of both functions many times.
Not looking to upgrade on headset. I figure I can spent the $1500 better elsewhere. But that would be a cleaner install for sure

Not looking to upgrade on headset. I figure I can spent the $1500 better elsewhere. But that would be a cleaner install for sure

I believe You can buy a Sierra for a discounted price for around $500 from @pigpen. I believe the Sierra it does allows you to use the phone via BT.

I use the Sierra and love it. I haven’t ever used it with my phone yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the Sierra it does allows you to use the phone via BT.

I use the Sierra and love it. I haven’t ever used it with my phone yet.
It does. The calls sound crystal clear too.

Check eBay @AKBill. Quite a few good deals on like-new headsets.

Lightspeed Zulu and done

Yes on upgrading to Zulu 3 or A320’s. Also the PS Engineering 450A or 450B have the absolute best Bluetooth cell interface. It operates through the audio panel much like a cars system. You see the in coming number and a soft key allows answer or ignore. Works with any headset connect to the panel, even old DC passive headsets.

Might be overstating it just a little bit. The Bose are only $1k. :biggrin:

Who has used an adapter to connect a cell phone to their GA headset? I was thinking of this from AS. $100 not a bad investment if radio failure.

Call the tower and let them know what is up.

PA-86A.jpg

Ahhhh who even has a phone that has a headphone jack anymore? Note that the photo shows some sort of strange communication device similar to what I used two decades ago.

I like the idea personally...
but I can picture that thing fumbling around in the bottom of my flight bag...patch cord getting misplaced, batteries getting low....then at a high stress time trying to deal with it.... not so good.

and bluetooth...having to unpair my phone from my hearing aids or ear uds.....then reconnecting with the headset...a pain too.

I do like the hardwired solution though!

Who wants to use their phone in the plane? My bird is my retreat... couldn't pay me to get my calls in the air...
Cell phones are needed to obtain an IFR clearance at remote uncontrolled airports without radio communication alternatives. Void in five minutes if not off clearances require getting them when you are in the cockpit. My old flip phone had a jack but my IPhone 6 does not. I don’t even know if it has Bluetooth? Does it?

My old flip phone had a jack but my IPhone 6 does not. I don’t even know if it has Bluetooth? Does it?
iPhone 6 has a jack. As a matter of fact, the 6S was the last iPhone to have a jack. It was the iPhone 7 that got rid of it.

iPhone 6 has a jack. As a matter of fact, the 6S was the last iPhone to have a jack. It was the iPhone 7 that got rid of it.
You are correct, it was inside the case. I will have to see if I remember how I hooked up the flip phone? Thanks

I phone 6 has Bluetooth.

And technically, the 7 still has "a jack" but only one and it's a "one size does all" lightning, which furthers the need for adapters. Or more bluetooth ...

I have a iPhone 7 and the lightning adapter/splitter does not allow communication via a headset. It’s listen only (no mic function). I can’t wait to dump my Apple phone. Such a dreadful series of devices that foreflight makes me own.

I have a iPhone 7 and the lightning adapter/splitter does not allow communication via a headset. It’s listen only (no mic function). I can’t wait to dump my Apple phone. Such a dreadful series of devices that foreflight makes me own.
Thanks for sharing that - I didn't know that. I just "upgraded" my personal 6s to a 7s and my work phone is also a 7s. But, I haven't flown with my personal phone yet. I have bluetooth to my headsets and never use it. So far, i haven't seen the need.

The above solutions are definitely more elegant, but putting your phone between one headset cushion and sandwiched to your ear has worked well when needing to speak to ATC. Don’t even have to hold it until ready to remove it.

The above solutions are definitely more elegant, but putting your phone between one headset cushion and sandwiched to your ear has worked well when needing to speak to ATC. Don’t even have to hold it until ready to remove it.
your method is more my speed..:rolleyes:

Back