CBP... No longer harassing pilots?

N659HB

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Pops
The latest thread on ADS-B used to spy on us got me to wondering about Customs and Border Patrol. I haven't really kept up with CBP antics, er, operations, since leaving AOPA. Have they turned down the heat, or just found bigger fish to fry?

That make-work sack of mother------s? Oh they're still at it. And calling them "Border Patrol" gets them REAL ****ed too LOL. They insist on highlighting that the CBP stands for Customs and Border Protection, and that the Border Patrol is merely a subordinate office with low-skilled green-uniformed sweaties that don't have much correlation with their sky god entity. In general I don't deal much with Border patrol, it's the the Office of Field Operation thugs and the Air and Marine (latter the accomplice to the former) that routinely pizz on my cheerios wrt flying. Boating is a different story, more on that below.

As someone who lives in the border near a lake, BP is actually tasked with doing the maritime mission normally assigned to Air and Marine, since the latter can't be bothered to have field offices in the hardship locations of our large Country. Nancies. I've been harassed on my jet ski at the lake by these people, under suspicion of smuggling drugs across the border, as a CAC-carrying self-identifying U.S. Airman mind you. They're a grade A pack of deputy fife, power-trip, Gen-Ed major skin-o-teeth barely-college-graduates. Add the 4th amendment border search exemption to 200 miles from the border, and welcome to East Berlin. Ze Paperz pleez. The cognitive dissonance of my military service under that level of harassment from the very government I serve, is a moral struggle to say the least. These people are not getting Xmas cards from me I can tell you that. A man who yokes his own brother under the Nuremberg defense ("just following orders, I got a family to feed maaan") is a f***ng coward.

Reason I don't fly my arrow internationally is singularly due to those c-gobblers.
As a veteran, I'm not asking permission to enter my own Country just because my conveyance is different; and certainly not to those rent seekers. My next aircraft purchase will require a 5% mission requirement of being able to make Florida to Puerto Rico non-stop, period dot, in order to file domestic and give the big fat Red White and Blue finger to the CBP.

The day we finally give up the fallacies of the war on drugs and de-criminalize the whole thing, will be the day I'll put on my g-d service dress (for a Reservist that's a tall order, I'd have to find it first), stand at the back of the room at attention, and clap a la Citizen Kane.
#Murica.

That make-work sack of mother------s? Oh they're still at it. And calling them "Border Patrol" gets them REAL ****ed too LOL. They insist on highlighting that the CBP stands for Customs and Border Protection, and that the Border Patrol is merely a subordinate office with low-skilled green-uniformed sweaties that don't have much correlation with their sky god entity. In general I don't deal much with Border patrol, it's the the Office of Field Operation thugs and the Air and Marine (latter the accomplice to the former) that routinely pizz on my cheerios wrt flying. Boating is a different story, more on that below.

As someone who lives in the border near a lake, BP is actually tasked with doing the maritime mission normally assigned to Air and Marine, since the latter can't be bothered to have field offices in the hardship locations of our large Country. Nancies. I've been harassed on my jet ski at the lake by these people, under suspicion of smuggling drugs across the border, as a CAC-carrying self-identifying U.S. Airman mind you. They're a grade A pack of deputy fife, power-trip, Gen-Ed major skin-o-teeth barely-college-graduates. Add the 4th amendment border search exemption to 200 miles from the border, and welcome to East Berlin. Ze Paperz pleez. The cognitive dissonance of my military service under that level of harassment from the very government I serve, is a moral struggle to say the least. These people are not getting Xmas cards from me I can tell you that. A man who yokes his own brother under the Nuremberg defense ("just following orders, I got a family to feed maaan") is a f***ng coward.

Reason I don't fly my arrow internationally is singularly due to those c-gobblers.
As a veteran, I'm not asking permission to enter my own Country just because my conveyance is different; and certainly not to those rent seekers. My next aircraft purchase will require a 5% mission requirement of being able to make Florida to Puerto Rico non-stop, period dot, in order to file domestic and give the big fat Red White and Blue finger to the CBP.

The day we finally give up the fallacies of the war on drugs and de-criminalize the whole thing, will be the day I'll put on my g-d service dress (for a Reservist that's a tall order, I'd have to find it first), stand at the back of the room at attention, and clap a la Citizen Kane.
#Murica.

LOL tell us how you really feel

Hmmmm..... maybe we should open the borders and let anyone and everything in.

That would make me feel better.

And the day that happens I will take my uniforms and service records and burn them.

What are you doing to arouse suspicion and make the agents approach you with weapons drawn?

#Murica.

I couldn't agree with you more...here in Michigan, I often take my kids fishing on Lake Huron, and I'm constantly harassed by these tools...the first time I was stopped by them, I had my 8 year old daughter, my 10 year old son, in an 21 foot open fishing boat with 6 down riggers and lines in the water, cruising back and forth due north and south...not exactly the behavior of any US/Canadian drug runner. They boarded my boat and detained us for 90 minutes (their search was done in 5 minutes). They never did tell us why, and I was polite through out...I've never been polite again.
I'm law enforcement myself, and not that I don't expect to be stopped or checked...it's just the way these morons do it is ridiculous. My two young kids get straight A's and are respectful to everyone (my rule)...but I've told both my kids to be as rude as they want to these idiots. They are a joke.

Didn't realize they were harassing boaters as well, but it figures they would, especially near the borders.

I don't think any of you would like to fly in my area (El Paso) then ... there's all sorts of stupid stuff going on around here. Mexican air force (didn't know they had one) flies "missions" over the Hueco mountains (west Texas) doing low level practice (not sure why they can't on their side of the border). They are horrible on the radio, don't use correct terminology ever, and make up their own phonetic alphabet with Spanish words rather than Alpha, Bravo, etc.

Last flight Austin to El Paso, there was one REALLY confused Mexican air force plane that couldn't understand "Remain clear of U.S. airspace" primarily because of poor radio skills (you could tell ATC did NOT want to work this joker). He comes across anyway, starts giving location information that isn't on our maps, and then proceeds to drop off radar and lose radio comms on our side (of course right in the area I'm flying). ATC asks if I have enough fuel to orbit for a possible downed aircraft and asks me to relay for ATC. I orbit and announce on ATC frequency for that aircraft and am asked if there's an ELT (which there isn't). After 10-15 minutes I *FINALLY* raise the guy on frequency and relay ATC has denied their practice and to climb immediately to 10,000. He never does ... ATC announces to me (so that they can hear) that they're filing a report for an illegal ADIZ penetration. Not sure what they were doing, but they had 15 minutes to do it without radar surveillance. In my area, if you drop below 6500 only the Class C can see you within 50 miles.

EDIT: On another note, I'll probably jinx myself but I haven't had a CPB ramp check in over a year.

#Murica.

As a SoCal native and guy who worked in Tijuana for 18 months, crossing the border daily, I couldnt agree more. MOST of these no-talent-a$$-clowns could barely find there ass with both hands, or pour **** out of a boot if there were instructions on the heel. I happen to have personally known several people employed by that agency so its not only 'on duty' interactions with them that I base my opinions on.

We need to keep illegal immigration, drugs, etc from spilling in from Mexico, or Canada, but the way these people treat normal citizens is f^&*^ing wrong. They need to occasionally remember they work for the people, not the other way around.

I respect all forms of law enforcement (to some degree), but I totally agree with hindsight. Some of these fools get into positions of power and their ego explodes. I have a "friend" who just got on with Highway Patrol (I know this is a bit off topic), and I am amazed at the stuff that comes out of his mouth now. Total egotistical a-hole. We went out for my buddies college graduation and he got plastered WHILE concealing a firearm into the bars. What the hell? How is that legal? Random remarks such as, "I could kill my girlfriend and totally get away with it" crap just ****es me off even more. People like that should not be in any sort of Law Enforcement. Unfortunately there are a lot of these guys.

Didn't realize they were harassing boaters as well, but it figures they would, especially near the borders.
Try to cruise the San Juans, see if you don't get boarded.

We were held by customs for 4.5 hours while they tried to figure out what forms to fill out to bring the Varieze down from Canada. It wasn't until after I suggested I call their supervisor that they finally found a form that would suit their needs. after that it took 5 minutes to fill it out and give us back our passports and issue the relieve to exit the compound.

Trump's gonna build it and it ain't gonna cost a dime!

:rolleyes:

#Murica.

dhMeAzK.gif

Well said sir!

Speaking of, came across this today: http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2016/08/in-minnesota-an-airport-runway-spans-two-countries/

"Along his journey, he encountered plenty of kindness, flying without any sort of plan of where he’d end up on any day. And then he made it to Minnesota."
"I was wiping down the Dove, enjoying the beautiful greenery and the rolled-up hay bales, when suddenly an SUV with U.S. Customs markings pulled up. Leaving the engine running, an officer stepped out wearing combat fatigues and body armor. He was a young guy. He didn’t look happy. In fact, he looked pretty stone-faced and too serious for his own good. I looked at his uniform. Stitched over his heart was the name, Miller. “Good morning!” I greeted him. I was in a great mood. Then that guy showed up. “Where are you coming in from?” he asked me. He looked at me like he was about to reach for his gun."

Try to cruise the San Juans, see if you don't get boarded.

Well, I will admit that I haven't had my boat up to the San Juans since 1994, but I didn't have any problems then. Nor have I had any problems with flying up to Friday Harbor. Perhaps because I typically have flight following and they know where I am coming from (KOLM)?

Speaking of, came across this today: http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2016/08/in-minnesota-an-airport-runway-spans-two-countries/

"Along his journey, he encountered plenty of kindness, flying without any sort of plan of where he’d end up on any day. And then he made it to Minnesota."
"I was wiping down the Dove, enjoying the beautiful greenery and the rolled-up hay bales, when suddenly an SUV with U.S. Customs markings pulled up. Leaving the engine running, an officer stepped out wearing combat fatigues and body armor. He was a young guy. He didn’t look happy. In fact, he looked pretty stone-faced and too serious for his own good. I looked at his uniform. Stitched over his heart was the name, Miller. “Good morning!” I greeted him. I was in a great mood. Then that guy showed up. “Where are you coming in from?” he asked me. He looked at me like he was about to reach for his gun."

Wow! That is quite the story. I hope Miller's superiors heard about it. Of course there is no guarantee that they would do anything.

Well, I will admit that I haven't had my boat up to the San Juans since 1994, but I didn't have any problems then. Nor have I had any problems with flying up to Friday Harbor. Perhaps because I typically have flight following and they know where I am coming from (KOLM)?
When you are a certain distance from the border you are required to call and inform them of your intentions.

Put your congressperson's office number on speed dial. Make sure the speaker is on when you call during the harassment.

Wow! That is quite the story. I hope Miller's superiors heard about it. Of course there is no guarantee that they would do anything.
Miller's superiors did hear about it: he got a promotion.

That is actually how you fire a federal employee who is past their probationary period.

You 'encourage' them to apply for a position in another office to get them out of yours.

I kid you not.

Seen that. Haha. Up and out. See ya. Someone else's problem now. Sent them a glowing recommendation but not too glowing just so they don't get suspicious.

Looks like we need to schedule a fly-in weekend at that airport
Mixed team of Canada and US sky divers at dawn followed by obligatory pattern work beginning at 9AM sharp!

Never had any experience with CBP other than Flying Internationally on a commercial carrier or returning from a cruise to foreign country and never had an issue. However, somewhere deep in the archives of POA is a post by Dr. Bruce that describes an incident he and a LEO friend had when landing in Florida from the Bahamas, that was a bit scary.

#Murica.

I think that I would like you...do you live anywhere near Eastern NC?

Back