Cautionary Notice from OK City

Discussion in 'Medical Topics' started by midlifeflyer, May 16, 2018.

1. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    There was a discussion either here or the Red Board about a "friendly" cautionary letter sent by the FAA to some BasicMed applicants, cautioning them about limitations and their obligations to self-ground in cases of medical deficiency.

Here is similar one I received yesterday. I redacted it for a bit of privacy. Parts of it are actually humorous, especially in the context of my history. I should have left in the "Dear "Mr. Mark" reversal of my first and last names :D

Considering I never received anything like this in the almost 30 years I've had medical certificates, is this something new OK City is doing?

@bbchien or anyone else with a line into medical policy?

180507 faaMedAdvisoryRedact.jpg

2. steingar

steingar Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    steingar
    Wasn't operation of the aircraft prohibited in the advent of changes in your condition or side effects all along?

3. midlifeflyer

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Yes.

4. midlifeflyer

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    In case it wasn't here, this is the BasicMed one:

BasicMedCauton.jpg

5. DFH65

DFH65 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    DFH65
    This is why it should have been drivers license medical. You either have it or you don't.

6. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Now offering reverse discounts.
    This reads like a big load of covering their hind quarters

Referring to the BasicMed letter... I wonder which of the 6 items they think that "you do not meet one or more of the above requirements"?

It would be more helpful if they said "of these items, you're deficient in #___" than to be so cryptic.

But knowing you, Mark, and how aware you are of the applicable regs, I don't see why they are trying to wrap you around an axle.

7. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
  8. dans2992

dans2992 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dans2992
    So, in the letter mentioning a history of “x” medical condition, do you know where they got this data?

9. DFH65

DFH65 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    DFH65
    Dear airman, you have violated one of the following FARs please check all that apply and submit this form to the local FSDO.

10. Stewartb

Stewartb En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    stewartb
    I imagine the aeromed guys had a meeting and somebody figured it would be a good idea to be proactive and remind Basicmed users about self evaluation. Not a big deal. Certainly not a threat.

SkyDog58 likes this.
  11. azure

azure Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    azure
    Big Brother, just making sure you know he's watching...

12. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    I got the same letter from Mr O’Brian after my last 1st class. It’s stupid. I have continuously held a medical since 1995. I did appreciate the friendly reminder though, made me feel special.

13. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Now offering reverse discounts.
    Or someone running around the enclosure thumping their chest

14. bnt83

bnt83 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian
    "we have money to burn, start stuffing envelopes" Postal Service loves junk mail.

15. Stewartb

Stewartb En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    stewartb
    In case any of you has never held an SI medical, the OP letter's verbage is standard text on an SI letter and generally similar to what's on the back side of a standard medical certificate, which a lot of guys overlook.

16. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    The fact that it’s already on the back of the medical is what irritates me. It’s a waste of time and money.

17. midlifeflyer

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    They are both form letters. Mine is just a bit more specific. I suspect in the BasicMed one, it's triggered simply by something in the reported medical history. It would be more helpful to be less cryptic, but I can kind of understand why since it doesn't involve a current FAA medical.

I really don't think they are trying to do anything. For now I'm taking the FAA at its word - that's it's some quality control review thing. But that's why I asked here. One of the medical folks might know more. Besides, I doubt they know my professional background, that I represent Airmen, and post and write on regulatory subjects, or would care if I did.

Yeah. It's also in the medical certificate regulations. Kind of Medical Certificate 101.

Funny you should mention SI. That's one of more humorous things. None of the conditions mentioned in my letter was the subject of an SI. Basically, all no big deal items which went through OK City without any inquiry. For example, one was my mild seasonal hay fever, something I disclosed in my first medical application and every one after. OTOH, I had an SI for a number of years for something much more serious which does have a recurrence potential and it is not one of the "conditions" mentioned in the letter.

18. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    I spent a few years trying to convince the FAA I didn't have a condition that was brought to their attention because my provider wrote, "There was an indication of XXX, but subsequent tests shows no sign of it." After further testing to show that I didn't have any signs of XXX, they gave me a SI. After the second annual medical after the SI issuance, my NEW AME (who wasn't an corrupt moron like my first), wrote "THIS IS A ******** DIAGNOSIS" on his letter (his exact words).

I got a letter saying "OK, you don't have XXX" but if you ever do get XXX (like this is likely) stop flying.

midlifeflyer likes this.
  19. Clark1961

Clark1961 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Display name:
    One doctor says one thing, another doctor says the opposite. What’s a good little bureaucrat supposed to do? Can you imagine the horrors you caused in Oklahoma City?

20. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    No, all the real DOCTORS said the same thing. It was some pencil necked bureaucrat in Joklahoma city who couldn't parse the sentence in the first letter that said the first test was a false positive who thought that I "didn't meet the requirements." Every piece of documentation from the one submitted with the initial deferral from the lying turd AME (he outright LIED to me, the RFS confirmed it, and Dr. Bruce subsequently told me that the AME did things that should have gotten his designation yanked) to the subsequent tests I sent direct to OKC, to the final one that the new AME wrote, ALL SAID THE SAME THING. I did not have, nor is it any more likely than anybody else to develop what they thought I had.