Cats are evil...

M

Mark S

Michigan man shot when cat knocks gun onto floor

Wednesday, March 9, 2005

ASSOCIATED PRESS

BATES TOWNSHIP -- An Upper Peninsula man cooking in his kitchen was shot after one of his cats knocked his 9mm handgun onto the floor, discharging the weapon, Michigan State Police said.

Joseph Stanton, 29, of Bates Township in Iron County, was shot in his lower torso around 6 p.m. Tuesday, the state police post in Iron River reported. He was transported to Iron County Community Hospital.

Michelle Sand, a spokeswoman at the Iron River hospital, said Stanton was treated there before being transferred to Marquette General Hospital for further treatment. But Marcie Miller, a representative of the Marquette facility, said there was no record of the hospital receiving a patient by that name.

A telephone message seeking comment was left Wednesday at Stanton's home.

State police said he was cooking at his stove when the cat knocked the loaded gun off the kitchen counter behind him.

See, I bet this cat shot it's owner on purpose. Probably didn't like the cat food, or the litter box hadn't been cleaned properly. Remember, what cats really want is you out of the house and the keys in their hands, er paws...

Mark

Our cats just keep trying to burn the house down; much more pleasant than getting shot at.

Dan

Mark S said:
Michigan man shot when cat knocks gun onto floor

See, I bet this cat shot it's owner on purpose. Probably didn't like the cat food, or the litter box hadn't been cleaned properly. Remember, what cats really want is you out of the house and the keys in their hands, er paws...

I agree. This was a calculated plot by the cat to gain control of the house. They should have arrested the cat and brought it to a dog kennel for "re-education". :)

Anthony said:
I agree. This was a calculated plot by the cat to gain control of the house. They should have arrested the cat and brought it to a dog kennel for "re-education". :)

I dunno about re-education, Anthony. How can you make a basically evil (that's pronounced eee-vile) creature into anything but what it is? One the plus side, the dogs might get a meal out of it...

I hope he didn't do anything to the cat!

why would someone leave a loaded gun on the counter?

Hmph. Just goes to show you can't trust a cat. I guess this is what happens when you don't feed the little bugger on time. :(

Attached is a photo of the suspect.

-Rich

woodstock said:
I hope he didn't do anything to the cat!

why would someone leave a loaded gun on the counter?

Obviously, to defend himself against the cat.

rpadula said:
Hmph. Just goes to show you can't trust a cat. I guess this is what happens when you don't feed the little bugger on time. :(

Attached is a photo of the suspect.

-Rich

HAHAHAHA, Tha's great. First time I've actually seen a mouse gun.

Mark

this is what you do when they target your new chair. then they think you did it just for them!

Brian Austin said:
The cat probably got tired of this...

There is a problem with that because?????????????????????

Squeeze, don't jerk the trigger.

woodstock said:
this is what you do when they target your new chair. then they think you did it just for them!

It's obvious who runs this house, and it ain't the people in it. One of these days the cats are going to figure out how to change the locks and you will be stuck outside looking in...

Mark

Dogs have masters, cats have staff!

At least, that what ours think. It's THEIR house. They just share it with us.

Mark S said:
It's obvious who runs this house, and it ain't the people in it. One of these days the cats are going to figure out how to change the locks and you will be stuck outside looking in...

Mark

I just pay the mortgage for them. they won't lock me out, they don't know how to feed themselves. if they did, they wouldn't wake me up at 6 AM to eat.

Ghery said:
cats have staff!

Ever see a cat with that attitude strutting through a backyard that's owned by a terrier that just happens to be peacefully sitting in the grass observing his well guarded kingdom? The fight's not over until the cat is dead or escapes in mangled pieces.

I find it interesting how accurately dogs can often assess the character of people near instantly on first sight and has no issues with the appropriate behavior toward said individuals. With that established record, it doesn't leave much to wonder about when a dog's first sight of a cat results in a full out unrestrained attack.

Ghery said:
Dogs have masters, cats have staff!
How Cats and Dogs think.

The Dog:
"He gives me food.
He gives me water.
He must be a GOD!"

The Cat:
"He gives me food.
He gives me water.
I AM A GOD!"

guess_who.jpg

Later that day..The cat is seen here teasing the neigborhood dog.

fgcason said:
Ever see a cat with that attitude strutting through a backyard that's owned by a terrier that just happens to be peacefully sitting in the grass observing his well guarded kingdom? The fight's not over until the cat is dead or escapes in mangled pieces.

I find it interesting how accurately dogs can often assess the character of people near instantly on first sight and has no issues with the appropriate behavior toward said individuals. With that established record, it doesn't leave much to wonder about when a dog's first sight of a cat results in a full out unrestrained attack.

Frank, you and I are on the same page.

Chip

gibbons said:
Frank, you and I are on the same page.

Chip

One of the funniest things ever was when we visited our neighbor with our newly acquired Border Terrier (about 20 lbs.). They had a Tom Cat (over 20 lbs) that had a reputation of attacking dogs. I mean like riding Dobermans around the yard firmly latched on the back attack. The terrier was straining on the leash to get to the cat and I was holding her back. The cat owners laughed and said go ahead and let go, the dog will learn a lesson.
Apparently the cat was not used to a dog that was small, fierce and would attack until one of the combatants was dead. The cat ended up under a bush with the dog. After a little rustling, snarling and unpleasant sounds, the cat appeared through the top of the bush whereupon it proceeded to haul boogie in other directions.

From then on, the cat would still attack big dogs, but small ones it would give a wide berth to. :D

Mark

Mark S said:
Apparently the cat was not used to a dog that was small, fierce and would attack until one of the combatants was dead. The cat ended up under a bush with the dog. After a little rustling, snarling and unpleasant sounds, the cat appeared through the top of the bush whereupon it proceeded to haul boogie in other directions.

From then on, the cat would still attack big dogs, but small ones it would give a wide berth to. :D

Mark

Yep. Cats are capable of learning proper behavior but it takes 8.5 of their lives to do it and terriers have absolutely no personal problems at all with educating cats.

The scene I was thinking of was our part terrier part poodle (mutt). He was just laying in the grass enjoying the view on a nice day. There was a barrier wall he couldn't see past. I see this cat who had been determined to walk through our yard just once without being attacked. This cat starts cautiously, then more confident, then just head up in total arrogance for about 2/3rds of the yard. About then supercat steps past the barrier looking the wrong direction. The dog tenses up and has a look of "I can not believe what I'm seeing here" on his face. After a few seconds all of a sudden he takes off at a full run totally silent. The cat saw and heard nothing. Just strutting along all snotty and BAM!!!! Then got hit hard again and again before he realized what was going on. By then he was clamped good on the throat. Somehow the cat gets loose and realizes he's about to die and starts running the wrong direction. Fence is way too far that direction. Quick turn and hits the 8ft wood fence and goes up. So did the dog. About 6ft up he caught the cat by the tail and just stopped. He body slammed the cat on the concrete driveway. After a few rounds of more abuse the cat decided he was going to fight the dog then realized that was completely suicidal. He managed to get away with about 1/16 of a life left. The dog comes trotting up to the house all smug looking with a mouth full of fur and not a scratch on him. I never saw that cat again.

As Frank, Eric and other Coloradans know we have lots of Coyotes and Foxes here. Often we hear the neighbors losing cats out of their back yards. Fluffy goes out, but never comes back in. I'd even be careful with small dogs out here. The yotes and foxes own the night!

Anthony said:
As Frank, Eric and other Coloradans know we have lots of Coyotes and Foxes here. Often we hear the neighbors losing cats out of their back yards. Fluffy goes out, but never comes back in. I'd even be careful with small dogs out here. The yotes and foxes own the night!

Daytime too, just fewer observed incidents.

A lady I use to work with was out in her yard (2-3 acres) in the middle of the day with her little dog (probably 25 lbs). Apparently she wasn't too far from the dog at the time and a coyote jumped up out of the deeper grass a few feet away. Fifi was a goner before he could react to the threat and dinner within a few minutes somewhere over the hill.

I saw a young adult eagle take a cat out one day over in a field next to COS arpt. It wasn't a fight. It was an execution. One hit and carried it off. High speed in, minimal speed change and a not overly shallow climb gradient out.

Mountain lions have been known to have a no hassle dinner from time to time, up to and including children. You parent types pay attention here: A couple years ago in RMNP, there was two groups of adults hiking just out of sight of each other. A young kid with them ran around the corner to catch up with the other group or something like that and the kid never arrived. I can't really blame the cat for that one.

In the wilderness if something happens to you, it's your fault.

I only just discovered this thread by accident. Two of my all-time favorite Far Side cartoons were "What we say to dogs/what dogs hear" and "what we say to cats/what cats hear". Both had a woman scolding her pets, with the usual admonitions about garbage or whatever sprinkled with the name of the pet. In "What dogs hear", the dog is sitting watching the woman, wagging his tail, and what he's hearing is "Blah blah blah blah Ginger blah blah blah blah blah Ginger blah blah."

The balloon for what the cat is hearing is blank.

Pretty much sums it up.

Judy

fgcason said:
Daytime too, just fewer observed incidents.

A lady I use to work with was out in her yard (2-3 acres) in the middle of the day with her little dog (probably 25 lbs). Apparently she wasn't too far from the dog at the time and a coyote jumped up out of the deeper grass a few feet away. Fifi was a goner before he could react to the threat and dinner within a few minutes somewhere over the hill.

Can I rent that Coyote? We have a number of "Fifi" type dogs around here and they are getting on my nerves.

Mountain lions have been known to have a no hassle dinner from time to time, up to and including children. You parent types pay attention here: A couple years ago in RMNP, there was two groups of adults hiking just out of sight of each other. A young kid with them ran around the corner to catch up with the other group or something like that and the kid never arrived. I can't really blame the cat for that one.
[\QUOTE]

And its illegal to carry a firearm in a National Park. So when the big kitty goes after junior you are SOL.

Anthony said:

Up in Bar Harbor we have a pretty strong coyote population. We used to have to haul (by hand) one of the lame sheep (older, arthritis in the rear right leg) into the barn when we heard the coyotes coming.

Foxes aren't as bad, but those coyotes will really wreak some havoc.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I've owned a few evil cats.

When I was young, we moved to Elkins, WV. We moved into a house that a poodle across the street had, while it was vacant, decided was hers, and that we were intruding. YAP YAP YAP, all the time. Came into the yard and did her business when we weren't around.

Nitty Gritty Kitty (the only cat I've ever known who was able to take down a fully grown Blue Jay), had finally had enough.

This tale was recounted to us by our neighbor (not the cat owner) who also was annoyed with the dog.

One day, he climbed up the dog's favorite tree and *waited*. As she always did, eventually the yipping dog came over to our yard and started doing her business, under her favorite tree.

At the most opportune moment, Nitty Gritty dropped out of the tree, landing on the dog's back, and rode that dog Bronco around the yard for several seconds, the dog in a right state of terror.

The dog never re-entered our yard, nor did she ever bark at us again.

I've owned a few evil cats.

I encourage it. ;)

We just lost one of our old (17 years) cats on Monday. This old character absolutely hated our daughter's Golden Retriever. Don't know why, the previous Golden in the house didn't bother him at all. He would attack that dog any time she came within range. Dog was scared to death of that cat. Daughter now has a kitten that curls up with the dog. All is fine unless the kitten curls up near the dog's face. The dog just cringes, expecting to get hit. Well trained.

Anthony said:
....We have a number of "Fifi" type dogs around here and they are getting on my nerves.

I call them "bedroom slipper" dogs.

fgcason said:
The fight's not over until the cat is dead or escapes in mangled pieces.

i had a cat that mangled a few dogs. never underestimate Tigger on Catnip with superextended claws.

here's a mental image to help those of you smirking:

cats are women in cheap fur coats.

cats that taunt dogs are (pick one: {menopausal hot flashing} { PMS=ing} "die you lazy scum, why can't you clean up your OWN poop" women in too tight high heels after a lousy day at the office, two hour delays in a two hour commute coupled with their rolling briefcase being searched in a subway with no air conditioning.

:D

I had a (former) boss tell me I reminded him of a cat. :D

Thinking that was, perhaps, not a compliment. :eek:

sierra said:
in WI we called 'em "Muskie Bait"
This one calls them "appetizers"...

She regularly gets her butt kicked by the resident King of the House, however...

Anthony said:
Can I rent that Coyote? We have a number of "Fifi" type dogs around here and they are getting on my nerves.

Move out here. I have yet to see a coyote pass up a meal that's too dumb to run away.

Anthony said:
And its illegal to carry a firearm in a National Park.

Unless the rules have changed, you can't even have them in the national park either. However, next time you're at a national park, look at the windows of the RV's. NRA stickers are everywhere. Want to take a guess at how many of those left their guns at home? There are lots of hidie places inside an RV that would hide a pistol from a more than cursory inspection. Don't ask, don't tell and don't attack the occupants and no one will ever know is the general rule of thumb.

FWIW, a couple days ago (last weekend I think - the last two weeks kinda ran all together on me) there was a knifing at a campground not 20 miles from here. I don't know the circumstances or what lead up to it however: One dead, two others scoop and run to the hospital. Sounds like too many campers obeying the law at the wrong time.

Anthony said:
So when the big kitty goes after junior you are SOL.

Kitty is not that stupid. Kitty is smart enough to wait until the meal is out of sight of the protecting adults. No point in getting into a fight when you can wait 30 seconds and just do takeout. That's pretty much how it happens a lot of the time too.

This is not the animals fault. You're tresspassing in it's dining room at mealtime. Don't want to get eaten? Take the appropriate precautions or stay at home in your concrete city where you belong.

Last edited:
Back