Cat Mauled by Pit Bull

1600vw

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
H.A.S.
I was asleep, the wife and cat where setting on the couch witching tv at around 10 pm. She had the sliding glass door open about 6 inches for air. All of a sudden the pit bull from next door comes in.
My cat jumps up and attacks the dog and the dog goes after the cat. My cat got the worse of it. The owner comes over drunk and throws beer on my cat.
The next day the wife and I are taking my trash out and this pitbull comes after us. I yell at the owners and tell them to chain thier dog.
Jump forward three days and again the dog comes over sticking his head in my door.
I go over and confront the owner this time I want to kick his ass. He tells me my cat attacked his dog and him and he will never chain his dog. I call the police.
Police go talk to him and tell me. The man said the next time the dog comes over to your house to shoot it.
I feel like shooting the owner of this dog.

Oh he just got this dog a few days ago...He told me it has a strike against it, I told the police this but they did nothing, wait until I get mauled or my wife or granddaughter but then its to late.

Yes that is what the police officer told me.
The cop said....He said if his dog comes back over here again to shoot it....I told the cop I would just call him.....
I told him I am not hurting the dog because the owner is a jerk. I will hurt the owner. Take him out behind the shed.

Try Animal Control, not the police.

Or a can of pepper spray or bear repellant. One blast of that stuff and that dog will never come near you again!

Go to Court for cat vet bill. Lien on house/car if non payment.

Or a can of pepper spray or bear repellant. One blast of that stuff and that dog will never come near you again!

What a great idea. I will pick some up today.
Where would I get some of this?

We treated the cat ourselfs. He is doing better today. Still what I call gun shy, he is scared to death. This happened in his home not outside. It was a few days before he would come out from under the bed.
That night my wife had to wake me up and I had to get him out of a tree. By the time the fight between the cat and dog ended they where on the front porch and the cat took off. We had to find him, he was in shock. I wanted to go beat this man. He never came over to help and when I did ask why he never came over to see how my animal was he said why, your cat attacked my dog and me...I wanted to beat him..and just might still.

This took place right inside this door area.

Attachments

• Cat and door 004.JPG
    Cat and door 004.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 96
There are no lease laws in your area?

So you would rather hurt a human being than an attacking dog? :mad2:

Let the dog inside your house, trap it, and take it to the human society. After 2-3 times of him having to pay to get his animal out of doggie jail that will be the end of that.

See how we leave the door open, its mainly for the cats to come and go but also for fresh air.
We have only lived here for a short time and we came from the city. We had some deer walk up to the road and my cats about had a cow. They both took off and hid under the bed. Those where the biggest dogs they ever seen...lol
My cats do not go anywhere, they are scared out here and then this dog comes in the house and my cat freaked out. I have two cats one is 22 pounds and one 11 pounds. My little 11 lbs cat did this. The 22 lbs cat took off and hid.

Geico where do you get that cool map that tells you where you've flown in your signature?

Let the dog inside your house, trap it, and take it to the humane society.

That sounds wrong. No way I'd let that thing in my house. If you do trap it, do it outside and drop it off at the shelter. To them it'll be just another stray that can't be adopted.

Otherwise, call animal control and let them take the dog for you - it's what they do. And go after him for the vet bills.

I imagine a hunting store would carry bear repellant. Pepper spray at a gunshop.

I'd be careful trying to "capture" the dog in your house...good way to get you and/or your wife bit. I wouldn't hesitate to try and lure it back onto your porch (discreetly) so you could spray it on your own terms and in a controlled manner. Best to not let the owner know you've done that though because the dog will likely go ape s--- and could potentially run out in the road and get hit! Lol

Sure, poor dog, blahblahblah.....unfortunately, the owner is either an idiot or an a-hole (or both). "I refuse to control my animal, so why don't you do it?"

There is a lot more to this story. Pit bulls are by nature dogs that want to please their owners. This is why they are called nanny dogs in England, and are used as fighting dogs in the South Bronx. This is an owner mistreating his dog and making it aggressive, and if it is not nipped in the butt now this dog is eventually going to find itself on the wrong end of IV tubing being injected with air or an overdose of pottasium.

You need not to call the police, nor your humane society, but the local animal control department and have them investigate the dog. While today it is attacking your cat, tomorrow it may be the two year old riding her trike on the sidewalk.

Get this dog help!

There are no lease laws in your area?
You adopt dogs, you don't lease them. :D

So you would rather hurt a human being than an attacking dog? :mad2:
That would certainly be my choice.

Let the dog inside your house, trap it, and take it to the human society. After 2-3 times of him having to pay to get his animal out of doggie jail that will be the end of that.
Good advice, except that I would trap it outside and call Animal Control to come get it.

Nice juicy steak slathered in A1 arsenic sauce should do the trick quite nicely. The animal is dangerous and needs therapy or euthanasia. The OP will feel horribly if that animal attacks one of the neighborhood children.

Nice juicy steak slathered in A1 arsenic sauce should do the trick quite nicely. The animal is dangerous and needs therapy or euthanasia. The OP will feel horribly if that animal attacks one of the neighborhood children.

Around here, that will get you arrested for animal cruelty. Likewise luring the dog to your porch and injuring/trapping it. Acting in self defense is a different matter, though you need to understand the laws well (we don't need another sensational trial).

First, no sympathy for the maroon next door. I'm not saying you shouldn't lock the dog in the garage and call animal control. etc.

But...

If the cat survived, the dog wasn't really trying to maul it - more likely it was just being playful. If he/she/it is trying to get into your house, it likely just wants to hang with some peeps. Obviously, the cats don't see it that way. And, at this point you don't either.

Failing the animal control option. A sharp NOPE!!! as you glare at the dog when it does something you don't want may actually work. Point, issue commands, an occasional reward, etc. and before long the dog will obey you better than it obeys the owner.

Or, just lock it in the garage and call animal control.

This guy lets his dogs out with him as he is working in the yard and he says he is controlling them. More then once this dog has come over here. Right after they got this dog I pulled up in my car and this dog of about 70 lbs jumps in my car. I took it over to them, knocked on the door for now the owner is in the house and said please take your dog.
This is not a bad dog its a bad owner. The dog was not there to hurt us but was looking around and came in, my cat went after it, it did not back down and came after my cat. But the dog will be the one who is in trouble not the owner. In my book this is an owner issue not an out of control dog issue.
This dog already has one strike against it and I saw on my first in counter with this dog this is not a bad dog, its bad owners. Now this dog has another bad owner.
This man has had one dog shot by the police a few years ago. The police was called out to this mans house for a fight between man and woman, when the police arrived this mans bit pull came at the cop. The cop drew his weapon and the dog kept coming, the officer shot once killing the dog. He told this guy he did not come to his house to kill his dog but when you can not control your dog....see a pattern here. The man whom owns the property where I live told me this when he found out about this.
He also told me he has been pinned down by this mans dogs and thought he was going to die or be mauled, they happened to come out of the house and get the dogs in time. Now understand we are talking different dogs then the one I am dealing with.

This man is an IDIOT. I feel sorry for any animal in his care.

Last edited:
Those dogs that pinned the land owner down are long gone today, this is a different dog

This guy lets his dogs out with him as he is working in the yard and he says he is controlling them. More then once this dog has come over here. Right after they got this dog I pulled up in my car and this dog of about 70 lbs jumps in my car. I took it over to them, knocked on the door for now the owner is in the house and said please take your dog.
This is not a bad dog its a bad owner. The dog was not there to hurt us but was looking around and came in, my cat went after it, it did not back down and came after my cat. But the dog will be the one who is in trouble not the owner. In my book this is an owner issue not an out of control dog issue.
This dog already has one strike against it and I saw on my first in counter with this dog this is not a bad dog, its bad owners. Now this dog has another bad owner.
This man has had one dog shot by the police a few years ago. The police was called out to this mans house for a fight between man and woman, when the police arrived this mans bit pull came at the cop. The cop drew his weapon and the dog kept coming, the officer shot once killing the dog. He told this guy he did not come to his house to kill his dog but when you can not control your dog....see a pattern here. The man whom owns the property where I live told me this when he found out about this.
He also told me he has been pinned down by this mans dogs and thought he was going to die or be mauled, they happened to come out of the house and get the dogs in time. Now understand we are talking different dogs then the one I am dealing with.

This man is an IDIOT. I feel sorry for any animal in his care.

Find out who carries his homeowner insurance. After an incident like this they'd have an interest in the dog and his ability to control it.

Because the dog has one strike and I saw this is not a bad dog, I did not want to call anyone about this. I thought great the owner will now control his dog. After having this dog over to my house a few more times in about as many days I have had it. Fed up is what I am. So I called the law, thinking maybe someone can talk to this man. The next day here comes the dog.

Here is a pic of this house in relation to where we live.
I showed the window I am looking out of and where this window is to our front door.

Attachments

• house 002.JPG
    house 002.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 47
  • house 003.JPG
    house 003.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 56
This thread is all screwed up, it should be about those very cool model airplanes. Dogs and cats are everywhere, all the time, but how often do you get to see such great toys?

-John

If you do not want to call Animal Control then you do not want to fix the problem. I guess you want to change human nature as regards the neighbor. Good luck with that.

This thread is all screwed up, it should be about those very cool model airplanes. Dogs and cats are everywhere, all the time, but how often do you get to see such great toys?

-John

I too was eyeballing the RC stuff :D

Because the dog has one strike and I saw this is not a bad dog, I did not want to call anyone about this. I thought great the owner will now control his dog. After having this dog over to my house a few more times in about as many days I have had it. Fed up is what I am. So I called the law, thinking maybe someone can talk to this man. The next day here comes the dog.

Why do I have the gut feeling this problem is not going to end well.:confused::sad:

I'd be weary of spraying a dog with pepper spray. Sometimes that just ****es them off even more. Now a bottle of skunk **** , that may learn him

Sent from my iPhone
using Tapatalk

I guess there is one other option. Close the door, but is that fair to my family, others get to do what they want but we must stay shut up inside so others can enjoy the outdoors.

Attachments

• airplanes more airplanes 003.JPG
    airplanes more airplanes 003.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 36
I'd be weary of spraying a dog with pepper spray. Sometimes that just ****es them off even more. Now a bottle of skunk **** , that may learn him

Sent from my iPhone
using Tapatalk

Teach the owner also...I like the skunk spray..good idea..

I really hope it does end well. I do not want the dog hurt, I do not want my cats hurt and above all I do not want anyone hurt.

I guess there is one other option. Close the door, but is that fair to my family, others get to do what they want but we must stay shut up inside so others can enjoy the outdoors.

Does your wife like airplanes?

At the risk of being very politically incorrect.... I will paraphrase one of the best TV show lines ever....

"As god is my witness.... I thought pit bulls could fly...":D:D:D

Rather than have the door open for the cats that also permits entry by the dog, can you accomplish the cat access with a window? Provide the surfaces needed outside for the cats to jump up to the open window, and the same inside.

I agree with others that the neighbor is not being a responsible pet owner.

As far as control methods, you might have a conversation with the local animal control officers about what you're permitted to do. While the spray ideas are interesting, I'd hate to read about you getting a citation for cruelty because you employed a method that was verboten and the upset neighbor lodged a complaint.

What are the other neighbors experiencing?

Finally, as far as reluctance about turning the dog into animal control because it already has a strike against it, consider working with a local rescue organization to take it. If the owner continues to not be responsible for the proper behavior, then perhaps the neighborhood could convince him to voluntarily give it up to a no-kill rescue organization who will find a better guardian.

To me this is a no brainer....either call animal control and file the complaint , get bear spray or put up a fence or any combination of those 3. Your concern for the dog is touching but misplaced...you mention more than once the dog already has 1 strike against it...that should tell you something right there...and that along with the very obvious douchiness of his owner means you should concentrate on protecting yourself,your wife and your cats...the well-being of the dog is not your business.......otherwise I suspect your cats are going to pay the price.

Back