Cars are just cars to pilots

saddletramp

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saddletramp
Don't get me wrong...I love cars. Several years ago I had the Porsche bug & nearly bought one but my sweet wife said the 911 would put a pretty good dent in my airplane savings account, so no Porsche. Purely my decision.

I spent last week closing a deal on a 182. We'll take possession on July 5th. That's pretty much consumed my spare time & thoughts.

Several months back we decided a new car was in order for my wife. This had nothing to do with me getting a plane...honest!!! We test drove several SUV's over the weekend. I favored the Audi Q7 but since I drained a good chuck out of the bank to buy the 182 I thought practicality was in order. We pay cash or don't buy. Long story short, we picked up a new 2016 Toyota Highlander. We felt after driving it the 50 miles home we'd made a good decision. After parking the new car in the garage I realized I bought a car & never looked under the hood. I felt so dumb that I popped the hood and saw a new clean engine. No big deal. Don't get me wrong, I did a lot of research & knew what was under the hood.

I guess after closing a deal on an airplane cars are so ho-hum.

Last edited:
Depends.

I still like a well engineered car, I'll buy a 10 year old Subaru before I buy a new Buick or Hyundai for example.

Still a car guy

only thing flying and my plane has done for me is to kill the desire to get a little hot rod boat, turning my kidneys into jello doing 70kts across the water looses its appeal when I can get right off the water at 120kts, touch down at the same dock and with way more dock appeal too ;)

Bought my wife a 2012 Hyundai Tucson with 36,000 miles on it from my brother and sister-in-law. He's an A&P, too, and did an oil change for us before we picked it up, over 3,000 miles later and I still haven't looked under the hood.... LOL.

Now we know the reason for all the slightly used ANR headsets... :D

Someone should start a thread as to whether we should be running aviation oil in our expensive, shiny new cars and SUVs? ;)

I am the proud owner of a 1945 Willys MB. There are "cars" and there are CARS! Some people buy their cars and there are those of us who earn their cars.

After parking the new car in the garage I realized I bought a car & never looked under the hood. I felt so dumb that I popped the hood and saw a new clean engine. No big deal. Don't get me wrong, I did a lot of research & new what was under the hood.

Nowadays there's not much to see when you pop the hood other than a few hoses and a big plastic cover. The last car to have an interesting engine to look at that didn't have a plastic cover is probably the Alfa Romeo 156GTA.

BTW, I wonder whether Tesla buyers ever ask to see the electric motor or do they ask to see the batteries (probably neither ever).

Blown fox body, I'm not a ford guy but I can appreciate that!

What's she running the 1/4 in?

That was a long time ago... That picture was around 2001 or so. That was when outlaw 10.5 was big. It was 3100 lbs on 10.5 inch tires. The 10.5 stuff was 1/8th mile and it ran the best of 4.86 at 160mph in the 1/8th. That converts to low 7's in the 1/4 mile.
It was a 509ci Chevy with a 1471 on alcohol. Made lots of power! We dynoed it to get the fuel system close. It was so rich it was spitting raw fuel out of the headers. It made 1710 Horsepower like that. He didn't want to tear up the dyno so we pulled it off. LOL! Tuned up it made a easy 2000 hp. It was a wild ride and I got more attention than anyone at the track.
Cars are faster now with the electronics and traction control. I was the first one around here to go 4.80's on small tires.
Sold it and built a true 10.5 car with stock suspension. With a 598 Chevy and 700 shot of nitrous it ran a 5.20 first time out. Then I built a turbo alcohol motor but sold the car and started flying before I got to run it.a 025.jpg a 026.jpg

Nowadays there's not much to see when you pop the hood other than a few hoses and a big plastic cover. The last car to have an interesting engine to look at that didn't have a plastic cover is probably the Alfa Romeo 156GTA.

BTW, I wonder whether Tesla buyers ever ask to see the electric motor or do they ask to see the batteries (probably neither ever).

Tesla buyers are probably more concerned about expecting the rest of us to ask to see their Tesla.

With an airplane in the family, a "ho-hum" car is about all we can muster. $$$

Ain't no airplane prettier than a '67 GTO.

1967-Pontiac-GTO--Car-100739572-8ff7e3a723e6be45b1a19afa297c82b3.jpg

My wife is having Corvette fever and will buy one soon. She either wants a 1963 split window or a brand new one.
I told her the 63 is money in the bank... In 5 years it will be worth more.
If she buys a new one in 5 years she will loose half her money.

I'm still definitely a car guy. I will admit that upgrading the airplane may affect how much I spend on the next car, but I think I'll almost certainly continue with interesting cars alongside my airplane habit.

Still a car guy. I like El Caminos, had a '79 now I have an '87, last year they built them. Looked at a '59 and too much rust and work to bring it back. Had a Honda S2000 that I sold a few years ago, fast and fun to drive. Dream car is a Toyota GT2000, which if you can find one are a lot of $$$, and my fav year 'Vette, 1962.

I recently bought a new-to-me truck. It's 6 years older than my plane. So now I drive my 1962 Willys pickup to fly my 1968 Cessna Cardinal. Neither has air conditioning but both have vent windows so no problem keeping cool.

I'm definitely still a car guy and it helps that my wife is into cars too... So unlike the OP I will admit that when I do buy a new plane, I time it with buying her a new car as well. :D Not a fair trade I will admit, but it is the thought that counts.

I'm still a car guy. The difference is I now spend more time doing work on the plane and less time doing work on the cars. Fortunately, the cars have been reliable. Also a bike guy, we have our Harleys (gotta have something that's slow).

Laurie's daily driver is a 1997 BMW 740iL. I basically rebuilt the thing (this was before moving here) and it's been a great car for her with almost 170k on it. Fits everything, reliable (now that I've rebuilt it), and even reasonable gas mileage for what it is. My 2003 Mercedes E55 AMG Kompressor just turned over 197k on the drive to work this morning. Love that car, although it has a lot of lights on that I've been ignoring because I've had other things I need to deal with (like the plane).

Toyota? I don't see myself buying one of those... ever.

I'm in the "a car is a car" camp. Given that I ride motorcycles and fly airplanes, if it has four wheels and stays on the ground, just make sure it's comfy and the AC works.

The most fun to drive car I've ever owned was a 2000 Toyota Corolla. Well I guess I didn't "own" it, it was a company car, but I put 210,000 miles on it, absolutely thrashed it, redlined it at every opportunity, and shifted without the clutch. Still ran fine when I gave it up. A more powerful, "better handling" Beemer or Acura or whatever wouldn't have been more fun. My second most favorite car was a Crown Vic.

Well, a Beech Staggerwing is close, but I'd rather have the '67 Goat for practicality! Still my all-time favorite muscle car, preferably Mariner Turquoise with the Parchment interior. 400, 4-speed manual.

Still a car guy. I love most of the muscle car group, I haven't owned many. I do love my Z cars, although my DD is a Pontiac GP GXP. Not much on looks, but it's got some pep for daily driving. I love late-60's-1979 trucks as well. While I appreciate Porsche/Lambo/Ferrari for their heritage and contributions, the cost-benefit doesn't translate well for me.

Last edited:
Tesla buyers are probably more concerned about expecting the rest of us to ask to see their Tesla.

Not necessarily. I am on the list for the Model 3, and I have no interest in "drawing attention". Bottom line, the driving experience (as sampled on a Model S) is vastly superior to combustion engine vehicles.

Bottom line, the driving experience (as sampled on a Model S) is vastly superior to combustion engine vehicles.

Well, it depends on what it is about the "driving experience" you enjoy. If it's sheer performance, minimal noise, and limited range, sure, the Tesla will do it. If you enjoy the sound of a high-revving 6/8, the loping-idle of a high-cu.in. V8, or the smell of burning hydrocarbons . . . the enjoyment of the driving experience in a Tesla may be lackluster.

The most fun to drive car I've ever owned was a 2000 Toyota Corolla. Well I guess I didn't "own" it, it was a company car, but I put 210,000 miles on it, absolutely thrashed it, redlined it at every opportunity, and shifted without the clutch. Still ran fine when I gave it up. A more powerful, "better handling" Beemer or Acura or whatever wouldn't have been more fun. My second most favorite car was a Crown Vic.

“Driving a slow car fast is more fun than driving a fast car slow

Of course driving a fast car fast beats both of those but those opportunities don't come easy.

I'll have to admit to still being a motorcycle guy. I still have two very fast Yamaha's in the garage. I'm more of a sport bike guy...I could never get into the cruiser/Harley thing. Last Sunday I was riding my FJR1300 & a couple on a Harley passed & he tried to engage me in a race. I just let him go. It would have been too easy to pass him & ruin his ego.

Of course driving a fast car fast beats both of those but those opportunities don't come easy.

Exactly. And it isn't that slow. That Corolla was clocked at 107 on the 80 over the Davis Causeway. Since there was no traffic and it was my birthday, the CHP dude knocked it down to 90.

Well, it depends on what it is about the "driving experience" you enjoy. If it's sheer performance, minimal noise, and limited range, sure, the Tesla will do it. If you enjoy the sound of a high-revving 6/8, the loping-idle of a high-cu.in. V8, or the smell of burning hydrocarbons . . . the enjoyment of the driving experience in a Tesla may be lackluster.

Sheer performance, minimal noise, and minimal maintenance is what I like.

Range - if it's 200-300mi, that's all I use. Any further than that, I'm taking the plane!

All that obnoxious noise and hydrocarbon burning complexity doesn't do anything for me. I'm not a tree hugger either.

My wife is having Corvette fever and will buy one soon. She either wants a 1963 split window or a brand new one.
I told her the 63 is money in the bank... In 5 years it will be worth more.
If she buys a new one in 5 years she will loose half her money.

Split window! Split window! Split window!!

And for the record, I think cars and airplanes are tied for me. Cars are just so much more accessible with shows nearly every weekend and the opportunity to get on the track almost any day of the week. Or maybe I just feel that way now because my we're picking up my boyfriend's Focus RS this weekend and he said he'll let me drive it. :oops:

Frankly, I do not enjoy driving the wife's li'l Honda fast because it is no joy.
However, driving my car fast is much more like it. Firm suspension, stick shift, my own engine, it is a blast.
I always say I like to drive as fast as I fly. But ... well ... not as fast as I fly this one. ;)

IMG_0518_Anon.jpg

Agreed.

After all, anyone can drive a fast car, but only a few can drive a car fast.

I've seen that proven several times at autocrosses, when a soccer mom in a Corolla, kiddie seat still in the back, kicked the butt of some wannabe in a Porsche. Going to a few driving schools and developing some skill will pay off much greater than buying horsepower.

Agreed.

I've seen that proven several times at autocrosses, when a soccer mom in a Corolla, kiddie seat still in the back, kicked the butt of some wannabe in a Porsche. Going to a few driving schools and developing some skill will pay off much greater than buying horsepower.

That is even more so applicable to motorcycles.

I beg to differ. A '77 Chevelle Super Sport in metallic blue, or a '78 Camaro Super Sport pace car edition with the racing stripes were the cars I grew up with -- drooling over my stepdad's toys.

I'm definitely a fan of nice cars, but I won't subject them to our two miles of awful dirt roads. We sold dad's Miata LE in British Racing Green to a friend of his who'd take better care of it than us beating hell out of it on the washboards and rocks. Plus with an 85 lb dog and a 45 lb dog, it couldn't carry our buddies with us on adventures.

About the most impractical vehicle I've ever had, was the '68 Chevy Van with a bunch of horsepower mods, painted by some previous owner in a multi-color psychedelic paint job. It was a sleeper that nobody thought would beat them off the line, but with the mods and oversized tires and wheels all around, it stuck to the road well, and that great three on the tree manual, it'd smoke the back tires for a block if you got your foot in it. Not bad for 6000 lbs of van! Thing was dangerous as hell with the stock drum brakes all round. Wouldn't stop. And being able to see the pavement going by through the rust hole under your left foot in the wheel well was entertaining on long drives.

Since then, it's been mostly 4x4 stuff, Jeeps and trucks for daily drivers since I always needed to drive forest service access "roads" for my radio site/tower site hobby/habit.

Couple of Jeep Cherokee XJs, both lasted incredibly long periods of time even rock crawling them fairly regularly even though their brakes sucked, the Yukon, and now the "fleet" that still includes the Yukon, the 2000 Subaru Outback, and the 2001 Dodge 3500 DRW for towing the heavy stuff. I rolled the first XJ into a ditch on a dirt road when I was young and really stupid. Drove it with the right side smashed in for years. My first lesson in "who cares what it looks like, it's paid off and it runs fine".

There was a brief stint of total stupidity with a Geo Metro in there somewhere back when I was storm chasing regularly in between the XJs, and I wanted really good fuel mileage. It went away after I got caught in a hail shaft with it. Good god it's loud inside a beer can in a hail storm. We'll pretend I never owned that POS. I had it less than a year.

The best cars are the ones you hold the title to. So many great vehicles out there too old to put consumer debt loans on that look and run great. Cash is king on those. Even the "nice" ones. But for basic transport, I can't imagine paying what some people pay for new little rolling econoboxes. Or even pickup trucks. The car loan biz sure convinces people to buy serious junk for lots of money.

A buddy picked up a beautiful Ford F-150 with the Rousch engine in it for less than $13K recently with less than 40K miles on it and tons of add on goodies from someone who overbought on credit and had it repo'd. Cash deal with a dealer. I'm not a Ford fan, but that was a steal. I think he added an LED light bar for rural roads and had a few small dents popped by a paintless dent repair place for about $500. He can't use the remote start on it because it wakes up his neighbors. Haha. Thing hauls butt.

I beg to differ. A '77 Chevelle Super Sport in metallic blue, or a '78 Camaro Super Sport pace car edition with the racing stripes were the cars I grew up with -- drooling over my stepdad's toys.

I'm definitely a fan of nice cars, but I won't subject them to our two miles of awful dirt roads. We sold dad's Miata LE in British Racing Green to a friend of his who'd take better care of it than us beating hell out of it on the washboards and rocks. Plus with an 85 lb dog and a 45 lb dog, it couldn't carry our buddies with us on adventures.

About the most impractical vehicle I've ever had, was the '68 Chevy Van with a bunch of horsepower mods, painted by some previous owner in a multi-color psychedelic paint job. It was a sleeper that nobody thought would beat them off the line, but with the mods and oversized tires and wheels all around, it stuck to the road well, and that great three on the tree manual, it'd smoke the back tires for a block if you got your foot in it. Not bad for 6000 lbs of van! Thing was dangerous as hell with the stock drum brakes all round. Wouldn't stop. And being able to see the pavement going by through the rust hole under your left foot in the wheel well was entertaining on long drives.

Since then, it's been mostly 4x4 stuff, Jeeps and trucks for daily drivers since I always needed to drive forest service access "roads" for my radio site/tower site hobby/habit.

Couple of Jeep Cherokee XJs, both lasted incredibly long periods of time even rock crawling them fairly regularly even though their brakes sucked, the Yukon, and now the "fleet" that still includes the Yukon, the 2000 Subaru Outback, and the 2001 Dodge 3500 DRW for towing the heavy stuff. I rolled the first XJ into a ditch on a dirt road when I was young and really stupid. Drove it with the right side smashed in for years. My first lesson in "who cares what it looks like, it's paid off and it runs fine".

There was a brief stint of total stupidity with a Geo Metro in there somewhere back when I was storm chasing regularly in between the XJs, and I wanted really good fuel mileage. It went away after I got caught in a hail shaft with it. Good god it's loud inside a beer can in a hail storm. We'll pretend I never owned that POS. I had it less than a year.

The best cars are the ones you hold the title to. So many great vehicles out there too old to put consumer debt loans on that look and run great. Cash is king on those. Even the "nice" ones. But for basic transport, I can't imagine paying what some people pay for new little rolling econoboxes. Or even pickup trucks. The car loan biz sure convinces people to buy serious junk for lots of money.

A buddy picked up a beautiful Ford F-150 with the Rousch engine in it for less than $13K recently with less than 40K miles on it and tons of add on goodies from someone who overbought on credit and had it repo'd. Cash deal with a dealer. I'm not a Ford fan, but that was a steal. I think he added an LED light bar for rural roads and had a few small dents popped by a paintless dent repair place for about $500. He can't use the remote start on it because it wakes up his neighbors. Haha. Thing hauls butt.

Reading that post, I've been Jonesing for a Toyota Land Cruiser. The real ones - 1981 and prior, not the crap they produce today. Those things are going for ridiculous prices!

Agreed.
I have been dreaming of the day when the speed limit would be applicable based on class of DL. If you CAN drive fast and safe, you get to drive faster than regular soccer moms who pull attempted murder on the road every single day.
Heck, we should have road segregation based on driving skills. Let the idiots kill each other on the "regular" roads and allow the skilled ones to drive fast and safe on highways with limited access. :)
But now we're talking utopia. It wouldn't fly in this country, people (as in: the prevalent general public) like equal rights.

The mooney shot a hole in my zeal for cars. Flying is so much more enjoyable than driving. Lots of idiots hanging around airports (including me :D), but a million more idiots on the streets.

Reading that post, I've been Jonesing for a Toyota Land Cruiser. The real ones - 1981 and prior, not the crap they produce today. Those things are going for ridiculous prices!

They need upgrades to do serious off road work, but they're great to do that to. The engine is wimpy at this altitude too, but what can you do? ;)

Seen the prices on running International Harvester Scouts and Travelall's lately? Mind boggling. For the same reason. If you can get parts, they're indestructible on 4x4 trails. Getting hard to find parts though on those.

A friend bought a Toyota FJ thinking he'd turn it into an off road truck. He's a lot of money in, and not too happy about the process. Definitely not the same deal as old Toyotas.

For cheap rock crawling, and old Tacoma is fun. Grab a cutting torch and a welder and get to work. There's one running around the Parker, CO area where the guy gave up on the body and sprayed the entire truck in spray on bedliner material. Ha. Looks kinda cool in all black and he no longer has to care about maintenance of paint. Ha.

My Dad has one of the newer ones. Far from crap. None of the Land Cruisers will do what a Jeep will though.

Back