Carrie Fisher Has Cardiac Event During Flight

Best wishes for a successful recovery. She was a gorgeous woman back in the day. Physically I mean. Harrison Ford agrees.

Seriously, I hope she has a speedy recovery.

Hoping for the best. I don't like to hear cardiac arrest 15 minutes out with EMTs doing CPR on arrival though. Usually that doesn't result for a good outcome.

Hoping for the best. I don't like to hear cardiac arrest 15 minutes out with EMTs doing CPR on arrival though. Usually that doesn't result for a good outcome.

Story said nurses, but yeah

I was actually thinking she could not have picked a better place to have this event, save the parking lot of a hospital: attentive folks all around with an AED within a few feet of her seat. Beats the middle of the night in her bedroom in the Hollywood Hills.

I was actually thinking she could not have picked a better place to have this event, save the parking lot of a hospital: attentive folks all around with an AED within a few feet of her seat. Beats the middle of the night in her bedroom in the Hollywood Hills.

I agree, having a heart attack with that kind of access helps but an AED (if used) doesn't apply to all heart attacks, just those with a shockable rhythm is present. Like James, I've had patients code in my aircraft for a number of reasons. Sometimes the outcome is good but a lot of times the damage to the heart is irreversible and if she had no blood flow to the brain for an extended time...

Sometimes the outcome is good but a lot of times the damage to the heart is irreversible and if she had no blood flow to the brain for an extended time...
No kidding. Sometimes when it's your time, it's your time and there is nothing anyone can do.

We had a shipyard worker collapse from a heart attack literally 20 feet away from our fully staffed medical department on the LHD one day while I was the CDO. Our Senior Chief Corpsman was on him with the AED less than 2 minutes from the point he collapsed.

Dude never recovered. Turns out he had been living with untreated heart disease for a very long time.

No kidding. Sometimes when it's your time, it's your time and there is nothing anyone can do.

Dude never recovered. Turns out he had been living with untreated heart disease for a very long time.

A friend of mine, medivac pilot, just married, passed away at 31. Autopsy showed over 90% blockage in all arteries around his heart, with severe damage to his heart.

Was he a very active guy?

Star Wars VIII and maybe IX just wouldn't be the same without her.

Parking lot of the hospital is one of the worst places... they are not geared up for events outside of patient care rooms.

Parking lot of the hospital is one of the worst places... they are not geared up for events outside of patient care rooms.

Ive also heard stories of them calling EMS for a person down on the hospital grounds, as they arnt chartered for care outside of their doors, or some silly lawyer type thing.

Star Wars VIII and maybe IX just wouldn't be the same without her.

Based on what they did with CGI, actually might have to disagree a little there

But she seems like a cool lady, overcame some demons and made a good life for herself, wishing her a good and speedy recovery. Hope the force is with her in this battle

Last edited:

We had a shipyard worker collapse from a heart attack literally 20 feet away from our fully staffed medical department on the LHD one day while I was the CDO. Our Senior Chief Corpsman was on him with the AED less than 2 minutes from the point he collapsed.

Boxer?

Depends on the hospital. You have an MI at a major heart center, you're in good hands. Have an MI in podunk hospital, better pray the weather is flyable because there's not much they can do. Same for strokes. Time and level of care are critical for a favorable outcome.

Twice I've had cardiac calls show up at the firehouse parking lot. At least they got a fast response time though we came out and couldn't find one and had to call our dispatch back. Turns out he was slumped down inside the old-style phone booth out in the parking lot.

Yes he was, mountain bike, softball, sports, etc., at the gym every morning. Outside he was a picture of health. Also never saw him without a Red Bull in his hand.

Yikes, that hits close to home, minus the red bull

Have a friend, anesthesiologist, who was lucky enough to have his sudden coronary event with cardiac arrest in the Post-Anesthesia Care Unit (ne Recovery Room) - I know of no group of people better able to handle cardiopulmonary arrests than Anesthesiologists.
He continues to do well.

A friend of mine, medivac pilot, just married, passed away at 31. Autopsy showed over 90% blockage in all arteries around his heart, with severe damage to his heart.

One condition I've read about that's related to our line of work is DVTs. All the sitting around can increase chances. I know at least one med pilot who died of it. I try and get out and walk around the base at least once an hour.

Last edited:
Wishing her well. She's a fighter, and here's proof!

carrie.jpg

Don't let that be your only measuring stick. I've always been a runner and and play ice hockey once or twice a week. I'm not going to go in to details here, but I'm now thankfully flying on a 1st class with a special issuance rather than a very grim alternative.

Last edited:
Remember that Olympic runner many many years ago who of a heart attack? Very fit and a distance runner.

Remember that Olympic runner many many years ago who of a heart attack? Very fit and a distance runner.
Not sure if you're thinking of Jim Fixx or someone else. I don't think Fixx was an Olympian, but he authored a popular book touting the health benefits of running. He was strongly predisposed genetically IIRC.

Not sure if you're thinking of Jim Fixx or someone else. I don't think Fixx was an Olympian, but he authored a popular book touting the health benefits of running. He was strongly predisposed genetically IIRC.

Yes that's the one Azure. Thanks.

Last edited:
TMZ now reporting that she passed this morning. RIP, Princess Leia.

Rest In Peace princess. :(

While that can be a contributing factor if you are not active, it is really irrelevant if your number is up. My best friend who in his early thirties was a daily surfer and played hockey twice a week keeled over one morning. Ticker stopped ticking. Autopsy showed that nothing would have or could have been caught in preventative care.

The cat is still a suspect.

If anyone is interested, NPR All Things Considered on Wed, 12/28 will run two interviews, one recent about the new book Fisher wrote about Star Wars, the other interview from the 90s. Will also be available on podcasts.

RIP Carrie. Hard life.
Three or four years ago, I attended a one-woman show on Broadway in which Carrie talked a lot about how difficult her life was, growing up under Debbie Reynold's shadow. She is (still is, in my book) a brave lady. RIP

Back