Car wrapping. As an aside, is it 'legal' to wrap a plane in vinyl?

docmirror

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Cowboy - yeehah!
Anyone ever wrapped a whole car? 3M makes some new vinyl that is supposed to take most of the trouble out of it with some kind of vented backing adhesive. I've been watching some youtubes, and all they ever show is a hood or fender. Guessing the bumper is a lot more challenging.

I never wrapped a car but I have done a lot of dirt bike graphics and it can be really tricky. I think plasti-dip is the way to go for cars.

Wrapping is gaining traction in the RV (airplane) community and looks very good...I'm considering it but still researching the longevity. Yes it's legal.

Nauga,
clinging to tradition

Not only is it legal it's probably not a bad idea. Have a basic white background then change the graphics whenever you feel like it.

Anyone ever wrapped a whole car? 3M makes some new vinyl that is supposed to take most of the trouble out of it with some kind of vented backing adhesive. I've been watching some youtubes, and all they ever show is a hood or fender. Guessing the bumper is a lot more challenging.

Airliners get wraps

Not only is it legal it's probably not a bad idea. Have a basic white background then change the graphics whenever you feel like it.

It's likely what I would do if I ever put a paint job on a plane, do it in a pearl white base and then do shrink wrap to modify. I think I would have to watch it closely for a bit because it has the potential to increase and accelerate corrosion under the right (or rather wrong) conditions. In general though, I think it can be managed to a good effect. It's nice to be able to change the art around. We had one lawyer/tenant/maintenance customer with a T-210N he used to commute to Vegas weekly that I would repaint his prop tip design every week. He used to stand there and look at it like an art critic.:lol:

That's one of the businesses I'm partnered in; www.EliteVinylDesign.com

Tricky over non flush rivets...
Probably better suited for composite?

Cost delta vs a traditional paint job.

I just got a quote for a very nice job on the 911 of $6880. For that, I have to do a fair amount of prep like taking off panels, and trim, bumpers, etc. and installing it after the job is done. The wrap is around $1500-2400, or I can DIY and buy the wrap for prolly $7-800. I may not get a perfect job on the first car, it's a learned skill. but I can always take a panel of wrap off and do it over for the cost of the vinyl.

I just got a quote for a very nice job on the 911 of $6880. For that, I have to do a fair amount of prep like taking off panels, and trim, bumpers, etc. and installing it after the job is done. The wrap is around $1500-2400, or I can DIY and buy the wrap for prolly $7-800. I may not get a perfect job on the first car, it's a learned skill. but I can always take a panel of wrap off and do it over for the cost of the vinyl.

If you do a wet application, it's pretty easy. I'd still go for the paint, though

Have you looked at the GA market? How well would it work over an old and chipped up paint job? Can you replace a paint job with it, or just augment one?

That's the next step we're looking into, the best time to apply the vinyl would be after the plane is painted (and has cured) or after it's had a paint correction as the vinyl can and will show through any dings, dents, cracks, etc in the paint. It also really depends on how detail oriented you are, from ten feet it will look pretty much like a paint job.

Sweet. Wish you were in TX. I have a 911 I'm going to do soon. Was thinking of a DIY job with a couple helpers. If you have a few hints to pass along, I sure won't mind! :D

We have plenty of experience with 911s, shoot me an email with which year your 911 is an we'll try to give you some pointers. Also, let me know which color you're looking to get, we might have something in the shop. I'll also let you know how much material to buy so you aren't left with fifteen yards of extra vinyl.

Tricky over non flush rivets...
Probably better suited for composite?

There are specific tools for vinyl application to help with things such as rivets, it doesn't pose that much of an idea.

Cost delta vs a traditional paint job.

And that cost delta can be huge, in favor of vinyl. It depends on how thorough the paint job is, generally if your repainting a car in this area you're paying between $4500-$9000, whereas a full color change in vinyl will cost between $2500-$4500.

If you do a wet application, it's pretty easy. I'd still go for the paint, though

Most of the vinyl films available right now are actually meant to be applied with dry application. It isn't that difficult to do, but it does take practice and experience to know how to work with the vinyl. It's absolutely incredible how resilient the film is and how much it can actually stretch, but you have to know what temperature the vinyl needs to be and have the tools to ensure that it remains in a particular temperature window so it doesn't discolor or tear.

We just had our two parts vans wrapped, they look great! It's not cheap, but compared to painting an airplane it seems almost free!! I don't think I'd put a wrap over a new paint job on an airplane, not a full wrap. Maybe for stripes and graphics, but if you're going to cover the whole plane, I wouldn't spend the money to get it painted first. :dunno:

We've vinyl stripes on the Free Bird and I'd never do vinyl on an aircraft again. When paint chips you can paint back in the spots. Vinyl not so much.

That's the next step we're looking into, the best time to apply the vinyl would be after the plane is painted (and has cured) or after it's had a paint correction as the vinyl can and will show through any dings, dents, cracks, etc in the paint. It also really depends on how detail oriented you are, from ten feet it will look pretty much like a paint job.
So buff the paint and feather some spot putty in the chip areas and we have a good base?

We've vinyl stripes on the Free Bird and I'd never do vinyl on an aircraft again. When paint chips you can paint back in the spots. Vinyl not so much.

Carefully cut via razor blade, remove damaged vinyl and reapply new vinyl?

Always risk pulling off the paint when removing vinyl if you want to change it down the road.

Thanks, good to know. Is there good wet apply material available?

Most of them are put on wet, or are repositionable. The stuff I worked with had mico holes in it to let air out. Any air bubbles were gone in a few days. Amazing stuff.

Last edited:
Most of the vinyl films available right now are actually meant to be applied with dry application. It isn't that difficult to do, but it does take practice and experience to know how to work with the vinyl. It's absolutely incredible how resilient the film is and how much it can actually stretch, but you have to know what temperature the vinyl needs to be and have the tools to ensure that it remains in a particular temperature window so it doesn't discolor or tear.

That's why the roof on my Camaro is still body color. I'm probably just going to change the panel out for a carbon fiber one. I have heard a lot of good things about 3M 1080, though.

We have plenty of experience with 911s, shoot me an email with which year your 911 is an we'll try to give you some pointers. Also, let me know which color you're looking to get, we might have something in the shop. I'll also let you know how much material to buy so you aren't left with fifteen yards of extra vinyl.

Thank you sooo much. It's always good to have a pro avail for some pointers and gotchas. I'm going to be doing a 2001 996 with a taco (GT3) wing. the hardest parts look like the upper wing, the curves around that wing, and the front bumper inlets.

Prolly going to use the 3M 1080 stuff in speed yellow or maybe a burgundy. I've been wondering how much to buy, and even if I"m not the most efficient in utilization I'll need a couple panels done twice when I screw up. The car seems to lend itself to wrap with the exception of the wing and that bumper front facia.

I keep waiting for someone to plasti-dip an airplane. It's going to happen eventually.

I keep waiting for someone to plasti-dip an airplane. It's going to happen eventually.

I am always sorely tempted to try Line-X or Rhino Liner. You can manipulate the texture and you may even be able to pull the ff a major aerodynamic clean up. Thing is, the stuff is bloody heavy. I used to put it on steel decks on boats and it's fantastic against small damage and rust and outlasts paint by an infinite time period considering some boats get the decks painted continuously, and I see Rhinoliner still at it a decade later.

When I've seen fancy vinyl on airplanes, I've noticed it never extends onto control surfaces (ailerons, rudders, ...).

Does putting on something like that cause a kicker in some regulations somewhere?

When I've seen fancy vinyl on airplanes, I've noticed it never extends onto control surfaces (ailerons, rudders, ...).

Does putting on something like that cause a kicker in some regulations somewhere?

Yes, typically anything you do on control surfaces will require an A&P to rebalance them to guard against flutter. There may be other issues as well.

another thought, those surfaces usually aren't flat so I bet they're a B to vinyl.

Back