Car Smashed - Insurance Claim Oh Joy

Last evening as my wife sat in a line of traffic at a light, a young guy driving a Mustang smashed into her from behind. Thankfully my wife appears to be OK but reported soreness - we will likely have x-rays taken. Her car is another story.View attachment 50958

She was forced into the car in front of her and her 2012 Honda Accord V6 w/ 40 k miles in superb condition sustained substantial damage to the front and rear of the vehicle. He has e-Insurance, which is an Allstate company. The intake agent over the phone has already stated "we are not eligible for a car rental until the claims examiner (who is in Texas) makes a determination as to the damage to the vehicle." And so it begins...

This is my first major vehicle claim in over 20 years and I could use a little advice on the pitfalls and traps to avoid. :(:mad:
I'm gonna go with the car is a total. The trunk pan is crushed. $6900 just for parts and labor for the trunk pan. And I'm sure quarters are moved also. I had same car with Same damage.

Last edited:
Someone with Progressive hit my wife's car in October 2015, still haven't paid for the repairs, they generously offered to pay 60% of the $20,000 damage caused by their insured! I refused to turn it into my insurance, I have a $5000 deductible. So, we are going to court!
If you'd filed a claim with your insurer, they'd have taken care of your damage and gone after the other driver. That's why you pay for un/underinsured coverage.

I'm gonna go with the car is a total. The trunk pan is crushed. $6900 just for parts and labor for the trunk pan. And I'm sure quarters are moved also. I had same car with Same damage.
Thanks Brian, good to know. I'll be sure to point that out to the claims guy when he shows.

Remember also that the adjuster will not remove parts to inspect for hidden damage. Many times the bodyshop will begin removing parts and find something else underneath. That kind of stuff generally gets handled between the bodyshop and insurance company. They have certain limits to operate inside, but once in a while that hidden damage can put you over the top.

The two times I've gotten quotes, hail and fender-bender, the bodyshop giving me the estimate said the insurance companies generally look at a score, 75% I think. If the estimate of the cost of repairs reaches 75% of the value of the vehicle, they generally will total it. I think that cushion is partly there to protect against the additional cost of hidden damage.

Thanks Brian, good to know. I'll be sure to point that out to the claims guy when he shows.
What shop you going to take it too? please don't say 3C.... i worked for a body shop for many years.

The claims guy just left and he totaled the car. So far everyone has been totally cool to deal with. I'm glad I don't have to mess with a body shop. . . I took a Jeep Cherokee to 3C years ago after my hit skip - never again. So now we're on the hunt for a replacement vehicle but first we'll need to see how much they offer for hers.

Probably a good thing then, it more than likely would not feel like the same car after being repaired.

I asked my wife and when she said, are you calling the police, he said "I don't have my phone with me." Would love to pull the phone records and know for sure. But based on his admission to the officer that he was 'looking for a restaurant' I can believe he was distracted.

At least he was apologetic, unlike the 22 YO who was texting with his ex GF and knocked off the side mirror of my 530i. He sped off and I caught him hiding behind the Kroger. I should have called the cops but took a picture of his D/L and License Plate and turned it over to State Farm. Although the mirror was almost 1 AMU to replace, he was unemployed and they weren't interested in subrogating. I asked SF's attorney if I could send him a letter threatening to sue him in small claims court for my $250 deductible and he said "sure go for it!" and promptly gave me his mailing address. A week later a check arrived in the mail from his Mom. No note, nothing but the check cleared.

Few months back I had someone side swipe my car, I pulled over and they drove off. I too found them later on, got out of my car and took a pic of the license plate and recorded it.

They all switched seats at that point and everyone claimed they didn't know who was driving. Ended up costing me about $300 but insurance went after her and got me most of the money back.

There are some stupid people on the road...

A little late (saw that they're totaling it), but my two pieces of advice are to not accept aftermarket parts and to make sure you are the one that selects the body shop of your choice. Many companies will push aftermarket parts. This is because they are cheaper for them, not because they are good for you.

If you'd filed a claim with your insurer, they'd have taken care of your damage and gone after the other driver. That's why you pay for un/underinsured coverage.
They were only wanting to pay 60%, my coverage only pays 75% of the cost to repair after a $1000 deductible. So, I doubt they would have pursued it for $1000.00. Anyway, they pizzed me off and I took care of the car and it gives my attorney some more practice. IF they had been fair upfront, this would have been settled a year ago. Probably good that we didn't settle for their offer, my wife was seeing a chiropractor for her back and a few months ago, after she had stopped the treatments we discovered she had a bulging disc in her back. :eek:

we'll need to see how much they offer for hers
One thing they might do is to provide you with two settlement offers: One will be if they take possession of the car, and the other will be a lower number based on you keeping the vehicle.

I have talked with many folks who come to me wanting to sell a car that they retained after a loss such as this. Their hope is that a salvage yard's offer for the vehicle will be higher than what the difference between the settlement offers was.

Unfortunately, that rarely happens and what I would offer them is less than that difference.

Also remember that the amount they write up is an offer. And all offers can be negotiated. They will also play on the fact that you won't ask them to justify (aka show the documentation and the math) their offer. You have the right to ask for that and see if you can't get their offer pushed upwards.

Finally, make sure all of the medical issues on your side are properly dealt with before the claim is officially closed.

The claims guy just left and he totaled the car. So far everyone has been totally cool to deal with. I'm glad I don't have to mess with a body shop. . . I took a Jeep Cherokee to 3C years ago after my hit skip - never again. So now we're on the hunt for a replacement vehicle but first we'll need to see how much they offer for hers.
I'm sure you will do your research, but I don't accept an offer that is less than you think it would be to replace your car with something at least as nice. I was surprised when I heard a friend yelling on the phone that the offer sucked for her 1980 GTO. She got them to come up another $1,500 without having to go to court or arbitration.

If you want any replacement cars inspected before purchase let me know I can help out

I deal with my insurance company, not theirs. My company will authorize what I need and then go after the other company.

I think that cushion is partly there to protect against the additional cost of hidden damage.

That, and what they get back from selling off the salvage. I'm not licensed to practice in Ohio, but in my state, the law is that you can recover from the tortfeasor the value of the personal property before the accident, less the value after the accident, plus additional expenses, such as loss of use (i.e., the fair rental value of the vehicle). That amount can be measured by the cost of repair, plus stigma damages (how much less the car is worth because it was damaged and repaired), where the cost to repair is not unreasonable in light of the value of the car. My guess is that this measure of damages is probably pretty consistent with Ohio law.

If you want any replacement cars inspected before purchase let me know I can help out
Thanks, my wife is going to look at a comparable car over at Roush. Do you work for an indy shop now? Might take you up on the offer.

eInsurance has offered us $14,500 for her 2012 which doesn't seem too bad - though I haven't pulled blue book on it yet. The challenge will be to find a comparable car that has all the bells and whistles that she had: Navigation being the primary. I do intend to either pull the brand-new battery out of the wreck or get them to increase the valuation accordingly and she had tinted windows which I want the dealer to add and insurance to pay for.

One item for all to remember in case you suffer a total loss of a vehicle.

If you add any item of significant value to a vehicle, make sure to go to your agent and have the upgrade details declared on your policy. Things like an upgraded engine, sound system, interior, etc.

If you don't, then the adjuster is going to use the "stock" numbers to compute the claim, and not account for the upgrades.

This lesson got learned the hard way by one of my customers who had an 1990's honda Civic with a very expensive rice rocket engine/transmission package. Just the motor was worth multiples of the basic car. Someone else struck him, the car was declared a total loss, but his initial settlement offer was based on the stock 1.6L engine.

eInsurance has offered us $14,500 for her 2012 which doesn't seem too bad - though I haven't pulled blue book on it yet. The challenge will be to find a comparable car that has all the bells and whistles that she had: Navigation being the primary. I do intend to either pull the brand-new battery out of the wreck or get them to increase the valuation accordingly and she had tinted windows which I want the dealer to add and insurance to pay for.
A very fast look at www.kbb.com for a 2012 Accord V6 with 20k-ish miles and stock EX options and the DFW market showed me a valuation that was less than your offer.

If the accident is the other guy's fault, you shouldn't have to pay the deductible.

Yes, I plan to call my agent Monday to discuss it, but I suspect he'll push me in the direction we're headed anyway. Plus we'll be out the deductible. Years ago I got nailed in a similar fashion but it was a hit skip. A witness got a partial plate and knew the make/model/year because his brother had owned one at one time. I furnished all the data to my insurance company which went after and subrogated against the turd that hit me. They got a summary judgement when she failed to appear, and garnished her wages. :) 5 years later I got a check for my $500 deductible back.

But interestingly, the LEO at the scene told my wife twice to NOT call our insurance company, but to call his.

The LEO on the scene gave you the best piece of advice I've read on this thread. I have over 10 years now in the insurance business; trust me you don't want to involve your insurance unless you absolutely have to (like in your hit skip.)

Insurance is now not based on your driving record. It's based on many factors (including credit) and one such factor is how often you submit claims. Even claims where your company pays zero dollars. Your insurance company can't raise your rates for a zero pay claim (in almost all states) but other insurers that you might be looking at switching too CAN and DO look at even zero pay claims as claim frequency and factor that into your rate equation.

Ever wonder why you guys can't find rates lower than USAA? It's most likely because you have submitted claims that USAA had to act on but weren't responsible for. Having worked for both State Farm and Farmers (and consulted with Allstate & Nationwide) I can tell you that USAA is not always the cheapest. But that's beside my main point.

Insurance Companies now have some of the worlds largest databases on you and your behaviors. They keep EVERYTHING and with AI and Big Data making their way into the FinTech circle, things are going to get even "scarier" in regards to how insurance companies rate the risks that they insure. The contracted Agents Office (something USAA doesn't have!) is going to become your most powerful ally in having smart insurance and will be able to guide you through these questions without fear of future rate increases from the behavior. One of my larger fears has been watching "Usage Based Insurance" market develop over the last few years. This is where you put an app on your phone or plug a device into your car and you supposedly get lower rates from it. Insurance companies are really just trying to find more data over driving behavior to save, share with others (we use 3rd party services to do this legally!) and use to develop "better" rating structures. In my opinion, this is a sham as the rate is no longer determined by loss frequency or claim amount, but on a perceived risk of loss frequency or claim amount. My best comparison would be of putting a person in jail because a formula said that person had a risk of committing a crime. I know, it's a bit off the deep end, but that's where I see insurance going.

Good luck with the loss. Like others have said, you are now in a negotiation with a human who has an upper limit established by their supervisor. A little honey does go a long way in finding that upper limit and getting an offer as close to that upper limit as possible. Consult with your attorney before signing the final paperwork. Especially if your wife is still sore and the paperwork indicates the settlement is final. You may sign any medical benefits away that may haunt you later (although some states have laws to prevent that.) I am unfamiliar with Ohio insurance law as I have never been licensed in that state.

Good luck.

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks TJ. Now I'll just go change the AV/Nav screen on my car to display this image and to greet me as Winston Smith.

hqdefault.jpg

Insurance is now not based on your driving record. It's based on many factors (including credit) and one such factor is how often you submit claims. Even claims where your company pays zero dollars. Your insurance company can't raise your rates for a zero pay claim (in almost all states) but other insurers that you might be looking at switching too CAN and DO look at even zero pay claims as claim frequency and factor that into your rate equation.

I found out this is our current "problem" when I did my every couple of years "shopping" of insurance this year.

Karen had a legitimate claim after she rear ended someone who was out and unhurt who apparently later claimed medical issues. Insurer never told us the other driver had done that, and we've had "the talk" again that in any accident the camera phone comes out and is recording VIDEO at the scene no matter what, no matter how nice the person seems, no matter how uninjured they appear or not, because they'll go home and LIE.

She trusts people too much. I don't. You're getting videoed if you hit me or I hit you. I don't care anymore. It's too expensive not to. I'm going to capture you up and walking around and refusing the ambulance ride.

Then I had a hit and run with a real claim to repair the 17 year old Subaru which I probably should have just paid out of pocket. Was barely more than the deductible. Someone rear ended me and ran. Couldn't get a plate, it was a temporary in a rear tinted window.

And my claim after I tossed a rock through her truck window with the mower. That was spendy. Power rear window. But insurance didn't pay that much after the deductible.

And then she got caught in a monster hailstorm in her truck and that was a bunch of work.

All in a three year or so timeframe with no other claims in forever... she had her run of six accidents that weren't her fault in seven years long long ago.

But when shopping I had two places flat out refuse to quote and others that quoted total ridiculousness.

So since the current company -- that I was originally quite happy to pay them too much money to keep comprehensive on vehicles way too old for that -- got a note to remove it from all but two of them.

I'll fix my old junk myself for cash if this is the new game. It'll be cheaper. (Plus let's not even go into the total scam multi-car is when you have more vehicles than you can drive at once. You can tell them to lower the annual mileage and it'll still be insane numbers to insure four or five vehicles in a two driver household. The assumption is that you're scamming them and have uninsurable teens or you're a house full of illegal immigrants or whatever in their computers. Not two people with four old vehicles that you've paid off.)

If they'd have left my rates alone instead of doing the usual yearly creep up, and trust me, they were getting plenty of money to cover their "losses", I wouldn't have shopped this year. I was busy and I always do it in a particular month. They could have just collected lots of money and I wouldn't have told them to shove it. I wouldn't have been annoyed by the industry saying we had too many claims, and I wouldn't have cut my insurance bill nearly in half with the current provider. I don't mind paying good money on the table to get good coverage. But start messing with me and it's game on.

Slitting their own throats. I hope they drown in their own blood. I used to be one of those "loyal" customers they claimed to want, pay for 20 years, claims always well below what they charged in total, high deductibles, and all that traditional insurance game "stuff", but no more. They want to play games, I'll play. Never seen an insurance company not make a profit.

They're getting dumped as soon as these other companies will quote reasonably again. Idiots. All they had to do was sit back and collect their money that I was happy to pay, but they had to get greedy. Easily covered all the losses and more.

Interestingly this (of course) also triggered insane numbers for homeowners quotes. You should have seen some of these things. LOL.

Most funny part -- one of the major carriers quoted us something so outrageous it was insulting. But better... they then sent a note addressed to my deceased father that they could beat his current homeowners on the same house and it was 1/4 of what they quoted us. LOL. I had fun calling that agent back and playing dumb... "So why can't I get THIS deal? You would have given it to my father..."

Agents are also worthless today. The computers and algorithms are running the show. About all I've ever seen an agent do is try to convince me to lie when applying to get a better rate, which is both illegal and also a serious problem when someone finds out later during a claim. A sure sign that the agents have also given up trying to put any sanity back into the system -- they're playing games with their own employers now. The only people who have any sway are adjusters. And like you said, you're just trying to get them up to their upper limit.

My current agent was at a party I attended recently. She got all excited when their golf tournament came on the TV at the sports bar and their CEO was being interviewed. All that did was solidify my desire to kick that company out of my life. Golf tournament? Seriously? Now I know where they're spending it.

Thanks TJ, interesting how Insurance is putting big data to work - and no surprise. Certainly doesn't take big data to know that a 20-something driving a Mustang is going to have high rates to start with, but after this, I wonder if he's even insurable?

I will say that eSurance has been very good to deal with. My wife drove home today with a 2015 Honda Accord V6 with 15k miles that she found in NW Ohio. Even without the Navi (who needs it w/ Google maps and a power port at your elbow) it's clear this is a nicer vehicle than her 2012. All that's left is to negotiate the final settlement amount and cut the checks. I have NADA comps for her old one and online data showing how they are low-balling us in this market and expect a positive outcome.

My mother, 85, had car insurance with a company, lets call it Liberty Mutual. Last year she backed her vehicle into that garage, opened the back window and gate to get groceries out. Later in the day she pulled it out of the garage, forgetting to close the rear hatch. It hit the garage door and broke out the window. After fixing it, Liberty Mutual dropped her for being a big liability.

A lifetime ago:

The dad of one of my college roommates was the State Insurance Commisioner. I stopped to visit his parents one afternoon and parked in the street in front of their house. About an hour later, they saw their across-the-street neighbor walking up to their front porch. One of them said, "Oh, I hope Mr. xxx didn't hit your car." Sure enough, he backed out of his driveway, crossed the street, and hit the front left fender of my car.

My car was an old beater, and had plenty of body damage already, so no big deal. I was even going to just let it go. The damaged left fender now matched the damaged right fender that a friend of my own dad had given me.

The next day, I got a call from Mr. xxx's insurance company telling me to get a repair quote anywhere and send it in. I did, they sent a check. Nice service, it helps to know the guy that licenses all insurance companies in the state.

Turns out, the old guy would visit his wife in her nursing home every Sunday afternoon. My car was not the first one he'd backed into.

My mother, 85, had car insurance with a company, lets call it Liberty Mutual. Last year she backed her vehicle into that garage, opened the back window and gate to get groceries out. Later in the day she pulled it out of the garage, forgetting to close the rear hatch. It hit the garage door and broke out the window. After fixing it, Liberty Mutual dropped her for being a big liability.

LibMu drops everyone who makes claims. Ask me how I know. LOL. They always seem to have plenty of money for mega-national TV ads, though.

Everyone rates their service highly, because they survey right after the claim and the letter that you're non-renewable comes a few months later after you've given them a 10 out of 10. Hahaha.

One of the many tricks of the industry. Right up there with automakers and JD Power & Associates awards. Hahahaha.

Over the next 10-20 years car insurance is going to become much cheaper and many companies are going to fold. The advent of collision avoidance and prevention systems, including autonomous vehicles, will all but eliminate accidents. At some point virtually all accidents will be caused by drivers in older cars that don't have these systems.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/amydani...erald-the-end-of-auto-insurance/#279853156d98

Over the next 10-20 years car insurance is going to become much cheaper and many companies are going to fold. The advent of collision avoidance and prevention systems, including autonomous vehicles, will all but eliminate accidents. At some point virtually all accidents will be caused by drivers in older cars that don't have these systems.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/amydani...erald-the-end-of-auto-insurance/#279853156d98

Hmmm. Yeah. A friend just purchased a brandy-new Subaru with the EyeSight system. His insurance went DOWN switching from an early identical Subaru that was eight years older. The actuaries already know.

The thing tries really hard not to hit things, and if it does hit things, it has slowed considerably before the impact for most sorts of "typical" collisions.

He's demoed it for me. It's eerie to leave the cruise set and let it come up behind cars at a red light. It just stops. Then when the cars foot prompts and you touch the gas pedal and it follows he traffic. Amazing tech.

The only oddity he's run into is if the cruise is set at a higher speed and you're following slower traffic and you make a lane change to a completely open lane... and a red light is coming up... the car wants to return to the requested speed, so it gooses the throttle. Haha.

Look. An open lane. Let's gooooo! It says.

It doesn't know what a stop light is... yet. I'll add the "yet". The systems will see those eventually, too.

The system hasn't been without problems, but his is the third generation of it already, I believe. Working all the kinks out slowly. It's pretty amazing.

Not $30,000 worth of amazing. Not until the wheels fall off of mine. But amazing enough it'll be worth finding a vehicle with the stuff on it in a number of years on the used market.

Thank god I sell lots of engines and transmissions

Not $30,000 worth of amazing. Not until the wheels fall off of mine. But amazing enough it'll be worth finding a vehicle with the stuff on it in a number of years on the used market.
Sorta like eventually one day finding an airplane with a G600, JPI 940, dual GTN's and a good Autopilot for less than 60 AMU's?

Sorta like eventually one day finding an airplane with a G600, JPI 940, dual GTN's and a good Autopilot for less than 60 AMU's?

I guess. Most of the cost of that stuff would at least be justifiable. $30,000 for a rolling box with wheels and an EyeSight system is a bit silly though.

The friend's new one has one feature I love on first sight but would want to know more about how it stores the data -- like if the battery is pulled to replace it -- and that's an entire page of touchscreen buttons with every possible maintenance item on the car, tracked by date, mileage, or both. If that entire screen is lost upon power loss, then it's just a gimmick. But if it stores it in something non-volatile or even allows you to download it out and play with it in a spreadsheet, that's geeky heaven. Ha.

Come to think of it, avionics that would provide all the regulatory and other custom maintenance requirements in an aircraft, that allows retrieval and configuration via simple open file formats and an SD card, wouldn't be something to sneeze at either. Rental places and clubs would love that. There's already small bits of that for GPS database renewal reminders and what not. Why are we still sticking stickers to the panel to remind people of stuff in 2017? There's a freaking touch screen display right there on the panel. ;)

Last evening as my wife sat in a line of traffic at a light, a young guy driving a Mustang smashed into her from behind. Thankfully my wife appears to be OK but reported soreness - we will likely have x-rays taken. Her car is another story.View attachment 50958

She was forced into the car in front of her and her 2012 Honda Accord V6 w/ 40 k miles in superb condition sustained substantial damage to the front and rear of the vehicle. He has e-Insurance, which is an Allstate company. The intake agent over the phone has already stated "we are not eligible for a car rental until the claims examiner (who is in Texas) makes a determination as to the damage to the vehicle." And so it begins...

This is my first major vehicle claim in over 20 years and I could use a little advice on the pitfalls and traps to avoid. :(:mad:

I'm glad your wife is okay and also that she's found a suitable replacement car.

As for car insurance companies in general, I believe that the best way to choose one is to walk into every collision shop within a certain radius of your home, tell them that you're considering changing your car insurance company, and ask them which companies they like and which ones they hate. The answers may vary in different areas because a lot depends on the local adjusters.

Where I live, the insurers that consistently come out on top are USAA (my insurer), Farmers, Erie, and Amica Mutual. At the other end of the spectrum are Progressive and Geico, the mere mention of which (especially Geico) immediately causes the body shop guys to get angry, spit on the ground, and use language that would sober up a drunken sailor. Having once been a drunken sailor, I can personally attest to that.

Rich

I guess. Most of the cost of that stuff would at least be justifiable. $30,000 for a rolling box with wheels and an EyeSight system is a bit silly though.

The friend's new one has one feature I love on first sight but would want to know more about how it stores the data -- like if the battery is pulled to replace it -- and that's an entire page of touchscreen buttons with every possible maintenance item on the car, tracked by date, mileage, or both. If that entire screen is lost upon power loss, then it's just a gimmick. But if it stores it in something non-volatile or even allows you to download it out and play with it in a spreadsheet, that's geeky heaven. Ha.

Come to think of it, avionics that would provide all the regulatory and other custom maintenance requirements in an aircraft, that allows retrieval and configuration via simple open file formats and an SD card, wouldn't be something to sneeze at either. Rental places and clubs would love that. There's already small bits of that for GPS database renewal reminders and what not. Why are we still sticking stickers to the panel to remind people of stuff in 2017? There's a freaking touch screen display right there on the panel. ;)

My Jeep Grand Cherokee has one of those systems. The cruise is cool, but it uses the brakes to maintain that distance to the car in front of you, which can get aggravating behind some drivers. Also the collision avoidance system will hit the brakes if you don't remember too. Good idea, but sometimes it hits the brakes when it is not needed, like when a car makes a right turn in front of you but slows way down to do it. Driver, me, knows other car will still be out of the way in plenty of time, car apparently doesn't and slams on brakes, not fun.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee has one of those systems. The cruise is cool, but it uses the brakes to maintain that distance to the car in front of you, which can get aggravating behind some drivers. Also the collision avoidance system will hit the brakes if you don't remember too. Good idea, but sometimes it hits the brakes when it is not needed, like when a car makes a right turn in front of you but slows way down to do it. Driver, me, knows other car will still be out of the way in plenty of time, car apparently doesn't and slams on brakes, not fun.

When we bought a new car for wife about a year ago, I avoided ordering all that nanny crap. I'm not a big fan of cars that go to full emergency braking for no good reason. It's a good way to get rear ended.

As a motorcycle rider that stuff scares me actually, will the automatic cruise and brake systems recognize motorcycles? Especially in traffic where there may be a large vehicle in front of the motorcycle? Will drivers become too reliant on the technology and not be aware of their surroundings?

Some innocent motorcyclists are going to get squished by these these cars.

LibMu drops everyone who makes claims. Ask me how I know. LOL. They always seem to have plenty of money for mega-national TV ads, though.

Everyone rates their service highly, because they survey right after the claim and the letter that you're non-renewable comes a few months later after you've given them a 10 out of 10. Hahaha.

One of the many tricks of the industry. Right up there with automakers and JD Power & Associates awards. Hahahaha.

Liberty Mutual called my mom this morning. They told her the letter cancelling her policy was a mistake. Sorry, already changed to USAA. They didn't even ask if she would like to switch back....

When we bought a new car for wife about a year ago, I avoided ordering all that nanny crap. I'm not a big fan of cars that go to full emergency braking for no good reason. It's a good way to get rear ended.

As a motorcycle rider that stuff scares me actually, will the automatic cruise and brake systems recognize motorcycles? Especially in traffic where there may be a large vehicle in front of the motorcycle? Will drivers become too reliant on the technology and not be aware of their surroundings?

Some innocent motorcyclists are going to get squished by these these cars.

I think it would sense a motorcycle or pedestrian but I would never test it for obvious reasons. I don't rely on it at all, what it will do is sound an alarm and "jerk" the car if it senses an issue, it rarely goes off for me, once in a while it'll warn as I'm applying the brake. The only time it ****es me off is when someone is turning and I know I will clear easily and it fires, scares the crap out of you, but that doesn't happen often either. I don't use the smart cruise feature because I don't like the car braking on hills, I'd rather downshift myself.

Some hero in an old BMW hit me this morning; he cut across the dashed white lines in a two-lane to three-lane left turn. Zero damage to my car, and a dent in the door of his. Hopefully my dash-cam will show clearly how it was his fault when I review it this evening.

Back