Car Smashed - Insurance Claim Oh Joy

iflyvfr

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Greg
Last evening as my wife sat in a line of traffic at a light, a young guy driving a Mustang smashed into her from behind. Thankfully my wife appears to be OK but reported soreness - we will likely have x-rays taken. Her car is another story.IMG_5449.JPG

She was forced into the car in front of her and her 2012 Honda Accord V6 w/ 40 k miles in superb condition sustained substantial damage to the front and rear of the vehicle. He has e-Insurance, which is an Allstate company. The intake agent over the phone has already stated "we are not eligible for a car rental until the claims examiner (who is in Texas) makes a determination as to the damage to the vehicle." And so it begins...

This is my first major vehicle claim in over 20 years and I could use a little advice on the pitfalls and traps to avoid. :(:mad:

I've gone through several insurance claims where the vehicle was totaled. A few years back my wife got t-boned in her Mercedes. I thought at the time the car should have been totaled but due to its high value the others driver's insurance co said they were fixing it. I told them fine but all parts installed had to be genuine Mercedes parts. Thy agreed but didn't like it.

When the car was finished we were very unhappy with the way it looked and drove. We took it 90 miles from home to the Mercedes dealer where we purchased it and asked them to inspect it. They said the car was repaired so poorly it shouldn't be on the road. I called my insurance company, State Farm, and told them we weren't accepting the car. Since we owned it outright we had a check the next day for more than we paid for the car. They said they would work it out with the other driver's ins co. It was a certified pre-owned when we bought it & i negotiated a great deal. We were very happy.

The most important thing to remember is that all offers are negotiable Don't agree with anything you're uncomfortable with.

Like I said, I've dealt with four totaled vehicles & felt all were fair settlements. Just don't be in a hurry to get it settled.

If it's repairable, make sure you choose the body shop, most states allow you to choose, the insurance company will just you towards their "preferred shops" some are good, most are on their list because they are fast and cheap.:rolleyes: If it's totaled, make sure you get retail value including sales tax for the replacement. Again they will offer you black book or loan value, you are a retail buyer, not a wholesaler! :D If it's totaled, you can send me the specs including miles, options, VIN and I can get you some values.

Tell them that if they don't approve a rental car similar to your Honda now, you will rent a Mercedes and make them pay for it later. They know they will have to.

Glad your wife is ok.
Thanks I'm relieved she's ok obviously. Can I force them to get her a rental car now? The lady said on the phone we can get one now but she won't guarantee they will pay for it - unless they do total it. I just opened up the trunk and it is torn up inside. Pieces parts are falling off and the trunk isn't going to reclose anymore. Sad...

If it's repairable, make sure you choose the body shop, most states allow you to choose, the insurance company will just you towards their "preferred shops" some are good, most are on their list because they are fast and cheap.:rolleyes: If it's totaled, make sure you get retail value including sales tax for the replacement. Again they will offer you black book or loan value, you are a retail buyer, not a wholesaler! :D If it's totaled, you can send me the specs including miles, options, VIN and I can get you some values.
Thanks John. Appreciate the advice and the offer. After we talk to the claims guy Monday (I'm doing the negotiating) we'll know more but I'm getting a rental car ASAP.

Also, make a diminished value claim. My wife was rear-ended in her eight month old, 12,000 mile car in the fall. Got $3k in addition to full repair. They will low ball you so do some homework and you should get a decent settlement. Their first offer was $1,500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell them that if they don't approve a rental car similar to your Honda now, you will rent a Mercedes and make them pay for it later. They know they will have to.

Glad your wife is ok.
You can tell them that, but they won't pay for a Mercedes (and you will not be able to compel them to do so).

Thanks I'm relieved she's ok obviously. Can I force them to get her a rental car now? The lady said on the phone we can get one now but she won't guarantee they will pay for it - unless they do total it. I just opened up the trunk and it is torn up inside. Pieces parts are falling off and the trunk isn't going to reclose anymore. Sad...

Worth a call to your own insurance company. Let them work it out with the other driver's company. Your company may pay for the rental car and surrogate back against the other guy. Remember that you are not the customer of the other insurance company.

Well the claims agent assigned to us from Dallas, Texas just called and took a statement. She was very pleasant. She did not offer but I stated my wife needed a rental car and without batting an eye she set one up for us for Monday. My Mercedes comment was met with a laugh ;-). I will absolutely make a diminished claim value too, it was a very nice car. An adjuster is coming on site Monday to inspect the damage. I really feel I should be there to ensure he appreciates the full extent of the damage. Just noticed the pax door is now hitting the front right quarter panel & making a loud bang when opened.

It didn't hurt that I mentioned the Cowboy's star running back just came from Ohio State, which is right down the road. I little honey & all that.

Worth a call to your own insurance company. Let them work it out with the other driver's company. Your company may pay for the rental car and surrogate back against the other guy. Remember that you are not the customer of the other insurance company.
Yes, I plan to call my agent Monday to discuss it, but I suspect he'll push me in the direction we're headed anyway. Plus we'll be out the deductible. Years ago I got nailed in a similar fashion but it was a hit skip. A witness got a partial plate and knew the make/model/year because his brother had owned one at one time. I furnished all the data to my insurance company which went after and subrogated against the turd that hit me. They got a summary judgement when she failed to appear, and garnished her wages. :) 5 years later I got a check for my $500 deductible back.

But interestingly, the LEO at the scene told my wife twice to NOT call our insurance company, but to call his.

Sounds like you've notified your insurer. That is the most important thing. They will advocate for you and are more than happy to do so.

My insurance is with USAA and I told them I had been hit by a driver with Progressive. My agent only verified that Progressive was in fact covering their driver. Everything else was handled VERY WELL by Progressive and the only other USAA contact was to assure the matter was resolved to my satisfaction. Cost to me was Zero, including not premium increases or marks whatsoever.

Texting driver?
I asked my wife and when she said, are you calling the police, he said "I don't have my phone with me." Would love to pull the phone records and know for sure. But based on his admission to the officer that he was 'looking for a restaurant' I can believe he was distracted.

At least he was apologetic, unlike the 22 YO who was texting with his ex GF and knocked off the side mirror of my 530i. He sped off and I caught him hiding behind the Kroger. I should have called the cops but took a picture of his D/L and License Plate and turned it over to State Farm. Although the mirror was almost 1 AMU to replace, he was unemployed and they weren't interested in subrogating. I asked SF's attorney if I could send him a letter threatening to sue him in small claims court for my $250 deductible and he said "sure go for it!" and promptly gave me his mailing address. A week later a check arrived in the mail from his Mom. No note, nothing but the check cleared.

Last evening as my wife sat in a line of traffic at a light, a young guy driving a Mustang smashed into her from behind. Thankfully my wife appears to be OK but reported soreness - we will likely have x-rays taken. Her car is another story.View attachment 50958

She was forced into the car in front of her and her 2012 Honda Accord V6 w/ 40 k miles in superb condition sustained substantial damage to the front and rear of the vehicle. He has e-Insurance, which is an Allstate company. The intake agent over the phone has already stated "we are not eligible for a car rental until the claims examiner (who is in Texas) makes a determination as to the damage to the vehicle." And so it begins...

This is my first major vehicle claim in over 20 years and I could use a little advice on the pitfalls and traps to avoid. :(:mad:
Um, isn't your insurer responsible for paying for a rental?

No his insurer is responsible. He was at fault - his insurer even said so on the call.

No his insurer is responsible. He was at fault - his insurer even said so on the call.
I don't understand why you called his insurer. My first call would be to my insurance company. Also, I pay an annual premium rider for rental car expense to my insurance co; why would I call the at-fault's guy? My insurer would just subrogate the at-fault guy's company.

I posted admittedly because I don't wish to betaken advantage of by his or my insurance companies. I expect to be made whole but I am not an expert by any means. However, it has been my experience that my insurer would tell me to get with his insurance company since he is at fault. So far, e-Insurance is acting as if they will handle my claim: sending out an examiner, agreeing to pay for the rental, accepting responsibility.

I see what you're saying payflyer, and will surely get with my agent Monday. I've been with him forever and expect he will steer me in the right direction. Thanks for your replies! I would much rather be out flying than having to deal with this mess. o_O

Glad you wife is ok. Good luck with the car and the insurances (I have no experience to share).

If u don't have rental car coverage in your policy, u won't get it, simple. U can go after them, not worth the trouble. Next time get a policy with rental coverage. Though, since she was rear ended, the other guys insurance should cover it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sounds like you've notified your insurer. That is the most important thing. They will advocate for you and are more than happy to do so.

My insurance is with USAA and I told them I had been hit by a driver with Progressive. My agent only verified that Progressive was in fact covering their driver. Everything else was handled VERY WELL by Progressive and the only other USAA contact was to assure the matter was resolved to my satisfaction. Cost to me was Zero, including not premium increases or marks whatsoever.
Someone with Progressive hit my wife's car in October 2015, still haven't paid for the repairs, they generously offered to pay 60% of the $20,000 damage caused by their insured! I refused to turn it into my insurance, I have a $5000 deductible. So, we are going to court!

Make sure your wife gets thoroughly checked out and reports any and all slight issues now, like sore knee or back or lazy husband so that they could be followed up on if need be.
The last time I had to deal with insurance was on an accident exactly like your wife, my wife was rear ended in Virginia beach and propelled into the car I front of her as well. The responsible party's insurance wanted to repair the car where our insurance just totaled it an cut us a check. It was a Jeep Grand Cherokee and there was no way they could have straitened out the frame and body to my satisfaction for the amount it was worth to just cut a check. Our insurance was a real treat to deal with and we were very happy not having to deal with that other guys company.

USAA is great.

X10000

Had Allstate (You're in bad bad hands) when we were rear ended in our brand new (3 months old and less than 3k miles) $37k SUV by an uninsured driver. The repair cost was 34k, and the estimated to take 8-12 weeks. So with the rental car, the total estimated repair was about 36k. They decided to repair it versus total. I asked why and the only thing they could tell me was that "is what the computer said to do". So.... during repair they find another 3k of damage. Good grief, it was never the same, couldn't wait to get rid of that car.

Switched back to USAA (never should have left). Got backed into by a guy with a pick up truck and trailer in a parking lot. Took all kinds of pictures, totally his fault. Notified USAA, they went after his insurance company (State Farm) who for 30 days claimed they "couldn't get ahold of their client". USAA investigator zoomed in on a photo and found a different name registered on the truck than the driver at the time. They tracked them down and got things handled. #boom

Let your insurance company handle it..

X10000

Had Allstate (You're in bad bad hands) when we were rear ended in our brand new (3 months old and less than 3k miles) $37k SUV by an uninsured driver. The repair cost was 34k, and the estimated to take 8-12 weeks. So with the rental car, the total estimated repair was about 36k. They decided to repair it versus total. I asked why and the only thing they could tell me was that "is what the computer said to do". So.... during repair they find another 3k of damage. Good grief, it was never the same, couldn't wait to get rid of that car.

Switched back to USAA (never should have left). Got backed into by a guy with a pick up truck and trailer in a parking lot. Took all kinds of pictures, totally his fault. Notified USAA, they went after his insurance company (State Farm) who for 30 days claimed they "couldn't get ahold of their client". USAA investigator zoomed in on a photo and found a different name registered on the truck than the driver at the time. They tracked them down and got things handled. #boom
A lifetime ago I went to a local insurance agent to talk renter's insurance for my apartment (not USAA). He asked about my car insurance. I noticed the USMC flag on the shelf behind him, along with a few other items, and told him, "USAA". He said, "Never mind."

A lifetime ago I went to a local insurance agent to talk renter's insurance for my apartment (not USAA). He asked about my car insurance. I noticed the USMC flag on the shelf behind him, along with a few other items, and told him, "USAA". He said, "Never mind."
yeah, if I was ex-military I'd do USAA in a heartbeat, but State Farm is best I can do.

We have "Farmers" I've had 2 claims with them. 1 call each time was all that we ever made.

It always makes me giggle when I go into an RV show, and someone there tells me they can save me money on car/RV insurance. I tell them no you can't. They insist, so I say ok, and let them ask all the questions, then they ask who my current carrier is. I say USAA, they stop and concede that they can't save me money. Then I ask, what do I win..??? :D

I like USAA because since they deal with the military they're used to people moving around. They are also early adopters of document imaging and web services as a result. I can call them and they have every piece of correspondence at their fingertips. I can draw pictures on my bill and they can see it when I call. Also, they don't bat an eye when I use phonetics when reading off a VIN number to them.

I posted admittedly because I don't wish to betaken advantage of by his or my insurance companies. I expect to be made whole but I am not an expert by any means. However, it has been my experience that my insurer would tell me to get with his insurance company since he is at fault. So far, e-Insurance is acting as if they will handle my claim: sending out an examiner, agreeing to pay for the rental, accepting responsibility.

I see what you're saying payflyer, and will surely get with my agent Monday. I've been with him forever and expect he will steer me in the right direction. Thanks for your replies! I would much rather be out flying than having to deal with this mess. o_O
:cheers:

It always makes me giggle when I go into an RV show, and someone there tells me they can save me money on car/RV insurance. I tell them no you can't. They insist, so I say ok, and let them ask all the questions, then they ask who my current carrier is. I say USAA, they stop and concede that they can't save me money. Then I ask, what do I win..??? :D
You should ask that first.

Glad to hear your wife is ok. My wife got rear ended in her '08 Acura TSX Wednesday morning on her drive in to work by a young guy driving a Mustang. Doesn't look like she was hit as hard as your wife. Wasn't the same guy was it :dunno:. My wife got checked out at the hospital after the accident and they didn't see anything wrong, but her back and neck have been sore for a few days.

I have to give credit to Geico. So far they've been great to deal with. We had our rental car Wednesady evening. Our car was transported to the shop of our choice by Thursday afternoon. The adjuster (I think that's the right term) took a look and called me to talk about the car on Friday. They didn't total it! <relief>.

unnamed (1).jpg

Last edited:
I had a good experience with Geico as the injured party. I was rear ended on my way to work by a guy insured by Geico. About an hour after the accident, Geico called me about the claim (it was clearly their customer's fault). They handled it as I would expect my insurance company (USAA) would have handled it--body shop, rental car, etc.

I was rear ended by a Pep Boys truck while waiting for a pedestrian to clear a crosswalk. He was rear ended by a tire shop van and I got hit a second time. I ended up going through my insurer (Farmers) who offered me more than I was expecting. They subrogated against Pep Boys who tried to blame the van driver. Farmers was about to litigate, but then Pep Boys paid up and I got my deductible back.

Ugh. I was pax in a car that got rear-ended. Low speed, we were stopped, got hit from behind, then hit the car in front of us. Wow, those forces are strong. Nothing totaled, but the three of us in the car sure were feeling it for a few days.

Back