Dave Taylor
How are we renting now?
Call fbo?
Use airnav's link?
Expedia?
Call counter?
Call 1-800?

All the above. :D

FBO usually can get ya a good rate. Airport rental places (terminal) usually have the higher rates. In town pick up locations usually cheaper.

It helps to have account numbers with each car rental agency. It costs nothing, and it tremendously speeds the process of picking up a car.

For example, before I visited Odessa Texas KODO, I called the FBO and they said they work with Avis, so I gave them my Avis number. When I arrived, the car was presented to me on the ramp by the line guy, with no need to go inside to sign before I drove off. That’s great speed and convenience, and it worked fine even though I rarely use Avis.

I usually check with the FBO first,they can usually find you a good deal ,if your using the car locally.

I left it too damn late! 8am arrival Maf or Mdd; zero cars.
Uber or Taxi it is.

You'd think that the car agencies would respond to the oil boom by now, gawd its been going on for 5? 7 years and still no excess cars.

Maf or Mdd.

Midland Texas, home to unlovable FBOs.

Best plan is to tie down for free at MDD (don’t expect any help), then call Uber. Tell the driver the gate code is 1973# to get in — with that info you can avoid needing to hunt for an unhelpful employee.

haha! familiar with mdd. They've been ok to me. thanks
Now, can you make the spring winds lay down? Forecasting 35kts

I normally check with the FBO first. That or contact the car rental service listed on airnav. I would normally prefer to go through the FBO since a lot of the time when you call an 800 number you get someone who doesn't understand how you're getting to an airport not served by a major airline.

Also in more populated areas, especially where parking is difficult, Uber is not a bad option.

Avoid Budget or AVIS @ KIAH. If you check in after 6PM you're bound to deal with gold teeth. You may be challenged to a fight or two.

Corporate travel site - last time I was in LA, I got a mustang for $6/day for a week.

At $6/day, I can't make a car payment on a mustang...

I generally call up the FBO and arrange it through them. That way the car is there and they pull it up to the plane, works great. Prices are usually reasonable. I've done Uber a couple times as well, and in some cases just walked across the street to the hotel (that works really nice when you can pull it off).

When I'm flying someplace I'm generally on a schedule and need things to work quickly, or I'm with the family and convenience matters. In those cases, it doesn't make sense for me to try to go out of my way to save $10.

Corporate travel site - last time I was in LA, I got a mustang for $6/day for a week.

At $6/day, I can't make a car payment on a mustang...
I’m guessin’ the last time you were in LA was about 1967...

January. LA usually has good prices, but this was off the rails.

Uber everywhere I can now.

But when I have needed a car, I am usually pretty pleasantly surprised by the rates that the FBO can get...plus them handling everything and having the car right there and ready is even worth a few dollar premium if they are not the cheapest game in town.

Uber was $36.
A car had become available for $150 but it was 15 miles from our destination.
So we lost a little flexibility (can't just hop in and go to a thousand places for a flat rate) but it still was cheaper and pretty efficient. Longest uber took was 15 minutes but I planned ahead (book while taxiing!) so little actual wait.

If you aks me five years ago it would be Enterprise, who will normally drop off a car at the FBO and pick it up later. If you aks me now, it's Uber.

In addition to Turo there's also getaround. I have yet to try either though.

I rented a Tesla Model X through Turo back in October. It was an excellent experience. The Tesla was a bit pricey, but a helluva lot cheaper than buying one! :rofl: They also have plenty of cheap options as well.

Back