Cannula for a CFI?

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
As a CFI, I am sometimes presented with opportunities to fly with people where oxygen use is a requirement. I'm not really that fond of sharing cannulas, so I would like to be able to bring my own.

What type would you recommend? One like this?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/pilot_supplies/ps/menus/ps/oxygen_cannulas.html

Also, are the attachments for cannulas standardized? In other words, if I buy the one above (for example), is it likely to work with any system I come across? Do I need any additional parts to ensure compatibility?

I am obviously not that experienced with oxygen systems, having only used one a couple of times.

Thanks!

The connectors are the same. They all fit on to a "Christmas tree" type conical barbed fitting.

The one with the bag where the cannula meets the nose is a reservoir cannula. The reservoir cannula is purported to conserve oxygen over the standard nasal cannula. Studies have shown similar blood oxygen saturation percents with half the oxygen flow rate when using a reservoir cannula.

Don't tell anyone but I got a set of cannula when I went for a medical procedure. I asked to keep the ones I used during the procedure.

Why do I suspect they would be cheaper in a medical supply store than a pilot shop. Hmmmm.....

If you've got a simple flow regulator, as pointed out, it's just plastic tubing on a barb.

If you've got one of the demand regulators (Precise flight or Mountain High), then you need one of the two-tube canulas because they need to sense inspiration.

If you've got a simple flow regulator, as pointed out, it's just plastic tubing on a barb.

If you've got one of the demand regulators (Precise flight or Mountain High), then you need one of the two-tube canulas because they need to sense inspiration.

Not all demand regulators require a special cannula. I have demand regulators (pulse 5) which use regular cannula.

Back