Cancelling IFR

I started to make a snide remark after the debacle, er, debate last night then thought better of it and logged out. So, I just now signed in again and began to say something more civilized when I noticed my remarks from last night were "remembered" by this editor. Must be a cookie thing. Ya'll be careful what you think is deleted out there. Even though you think it's gone it may not be and you could accidentally publish it for all to see. I wouldn't want anyone to know what I really think of Trump. I will say, Cruz looks like a bad actor portraying a politician.

dtuuri

I started to make a snide remark after the debacle, er, debate last night then thought better of it and logged out. So, I just now signed in again and began to say something more civilized when I noticed my remarks from last night were "remembered" by this editor. Must be a cookie thing. Ya'll be careful what you think is deleted out there. Even though you think it's gone it may not be and you could accidentally publish it for all to see. I wouldn't want anyone to know what I really think of Trump. I will say, Cruz looks like a bad actor portraying a politician.

dtuuri

I don't think other members can see your draft. I don't know whether admins can.

You can get rid of the draft by deleting the text, and then waiting at least a minute before closing the window. (According to one of the admins, the draft-saving feature updates once per minute.)

I think I am really overthinking this one.

I was flying on an IFR flight plan in severe VMC weather. As I started to approach the airport I asked for the RNAV with the intention of flying it at around cruising speed, then slow down during my circle to land. As I got near I was asked to slow to 120. It was a 40 knot reduction but I did it anyway just because. Then the controller asked me to turn for spacing. There was a 172 doing a practice approach in front of me. Being inpatient and in a hurry, I responded with "cancel IFR, I am not waiting for this slow guy"
He acknowledged the IFR cancellation and I turned to fly parallel to the approach and pass the 172 on the right. Upon receiving the acknowledged cancellation I literally disregarded every instruction the controller had given me, altitude heading and speed, I am no longer operating under IFR, that is the reason I cancelled.
I was in class E at the time but I got to thinking would it be any different if I was in Class C or Class B. If the controller wanted me to continue following one of those restrictions/clearances would they have to give them to me again as a VFR target. I guess what I am asking is what, and when (if any), does an IFR instruction carry over to VFR once the IFR cancellation is received?

Classic example of anti-athority and impulsive dangerous attitudes.

What was the need to be in such a hurry and get past the aircraft ahead of you?

Might be a hooker or stripper on board ... ride home was the wife, needed to arrive a little earlier than the ground transportation as the "PAX" wasn't aware it was a cashier check transaction that could lengthen her departure:eek:

Besides, there's no such thing as an "anti-authority dangerous attitude." I Googled the phrase one day. No hits other than US aviation. I think the FAA made it up.
And we wonder why no one questions their CFI and why misinformation gets passed along to students. ;)

Besides, there's no such thing as an "anti-authority dangerous attitude." I Googled the phrase one day. No hits other than US aviation. I think the FAA made it up.

Only authoritarians would consider "anti-authority" hazardous. Just sayin'... :)

Usually the real hazard in ignoring authority is when the person ignoring authority is already an idiot and doing something stupid and the "authority" is simply someone who knows better. But it's not really about the "authority", just run-of-the-mill retardedness.

I would like to add to this discussion, as this is a common occurrence at our airport. We are in a rural area and a Center is the approach control for our uncontrolled airport. In this area the radar floor is about 4,000 ft, and that requires Center to limit IFR operations to one aircraft at a time since it they are not in radar contact. It is not uncommon to have one aircraft cleared for the approach tying up the airspace while several other IFR aircraft are waiting to approach as well. It may take 10-15 minutes to shoot the approach, land, then cancel IFR on the ground, during which other traffic may be placed in a hold. If weather is VMC, some aircraft will cancel in advance to speed things up, there is no need to space aircraft out 15 minutes apart during VMC conditions just because the controller can't see them. Especially if one of the aircraft is just doing practice approaches.

Now all of that being said, I probably wouldn't have said anything on the radio other than, "Airport in site, I'd like to cancel IFR."

Typical POA...everyone bashing the OP for the context and trying to prove who is a superior aviator rather than answering the actual question.

No wonder this place is dying.

If the OP just wanted an answer to his question he could have gone and looked it up. Or he could have posted a more generic version of his situation. But he told a story and that story included more then just that narrow question. It included his dickpilot comment over the air. Why did he include that in the OP if all he wanted was just a simple answer to a simple question? You post on a forum, people will discuss every aspect of what you posted. He posted it, not us.

No, I think he wanted to (or at least should have expected to) get into it with that little humblebrag.

I will add that I fly a TR182 and I can easily see flying the 10-miles-out portion of an approach at near cruise speed. Once on the final approach course I'm slowing to 120 in prep for gear and flaps just before FAF.

But yeah I can see keeping my speed up in order to get into the airport to a certain degree. Those who think this will lead to a gear up are probably not flying RGs much. VFR, I don't drop gear and flaps until I am within about 3 miles straight in or about to join downwind. But then I'm not cooking at 140 (which both Vle and Vlo in that type), much less 160, at that point either. Prolly 120. Dropping gear early and then trying to keep speed up is a good way to heat up the engine unless descending. So yeah, cancel and pass per the rules. Nothing unsafe there. No one drops gear and flaps 10 miles out anyway.

What I think is unnecessary and unprofessional, and possibly indicative of a hazardous state of mind, is the comments made on the radio about "not waiting on this slow guy.". It implies that he is irritated. Why?

Last edited:
I would like to add to this discussion, as this is a common occurrence at our airport. We are in a rural area and a Center is the approach control for our uncontrolled airport. In this area the radar floor is about 4,000 ft, and that requires Center to limit IFR operations to one aircraft at a time since it they are not in radar contact. It is not uncommon to have one aircraft cleared for the approach tying up the airspace while several other IFR aircraft are waiting to approach as well. It may take 10-15 minutes to shoot the approach, land, then cancel IFR on the ground, during which other traffic may be placed in a hold. If weather is VMC, some aircraft will cancel in advance to speed things up, there is no need to space aircraft out 15 minutes apart during VMC conditions just because the controller can't see them. Especially if one of the aircraft is just doing practice approaches.
It's one at a time because the field is untowered. There are nonradar procedures that permit multiple aircraft to be cleared for the approach but they require a towered field.

Thanks. No it wasn't the intent to be douchy, I just wanted to be on the ground and I wanted atc to know that was what I was about to do. Usually, when the weather allows, it's good manners to pick up the pace when occupying an approach, especially when someone is behind you. When I passed him he had his flaps way out and wasn't even at the faf. Even if he was on the same frequency I doubt he was even aware I was arriving at the same airport. Let alone know I was talking about him. Same kind of guy that lands at an uncontrolled airport and doesn't call to cancel until the cover is on the airplane. Certainly not a person I am going to make a day celebrating their birthday with.

I guess I subconsciously get annoyed with people who do things at their own leisure with no regards to how it affects those around them. I made a remark yesterday to planes occupying different taxiways for midfield departures. " I'm just going to taxi all the way down the entire 9000' runway because a Cessna and piper are occupying the only midfield taxiways" maybe that was douchey too? I thought it was douchey they couldn't depart from the same taxiway so arrivals have a place to exit. I'm done ranting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for removing all doubt that you are a badass pilot who has **** to DO!

Back