Canceled Trip

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
I've been doing contact pilot work on the side for a number of years. Recently mostly in twin Cessnas. In all that time I can't remember canceling a trip at the last minute for weather. But I did just that this morning. Trip was in a Cessna 414A from KLZU (east side of Atlanta) to KSRC (central
Arkansas) and back. We'd be penetrating a strong cold front with TS two times. Plane is FIKI but does not have working onboard weather radar. Icing forecast at about anything above 12,000'. Tops up to 45,000'. Oh, and 42kt headwind going west at 12K. This is a tough call because I basically stranded the plane's owner out there, and he'll have to rent a car and make a long drive back. I feel very comfortable sitting on the ground here typing this. OTOH I'm foregoing a paid trip and disappointing a good client. Thoughts?

From a completely outside/ objective point of view - you made the right call.

Cold front, thunderstorms, turbulence, IMC, 42 knot headwinds, you're in a small plane (non-airliner). If this doesn't cancel a trip, then what would? If I may be harsh for a bit - people are better served by the decision making you do vs Kobe Bryant's pilot.

Last edited:
Good call, Captain. A good client will understand, or another will take their place. Now go make your next chain-breaking, potentially life-saving tough call. JMHO.

Spending 45 seconds right now* and given no wx radar your only real option is New Orleans, let the storm pass over, then continue. You'll likely get ice in AR, but hopefully avoid nasty CB Icing. No way I'd go anywhere near direct.

As far as client management, I've found honesty and transparency is key for tough messages. "Hey, with this system moving through our only real option is to fly 2x as far, spend 2x the money, etc etc - yes or no". (if it's a close client you could say that a CJ1 would have made this trip no problem haha)

* no skin in this game

My thoughts are good decision and grab a bloody mary before you change your mind.

If there’s enough time for the owner to from Arkansas to Atlanta, there’s enough time to hitch a ride on commercial or wait it out.

Obviously start your discussion with "I always look for a way to make a flight happen, but your and my safety come first. I've only canceled two flights in the past 15 years, and this weather system exceeds the capabilities of the plane."

blame it on NOTAMgate?

I always thought if I flew for someone like you're doing, that "there IS going to be a time we can't fly due to weather" would be part of my standard briefing to them.

My only thought is how jealous I am that people pay you to fly their twin cessnas around.

Well, if you went to FL240, you would be above the icing and could weave your way through the buildups...into a 100kt headwind. LOL

High likelihood of encountering icing AND T-Storms? Shoot, U dun good. I am NOT a professional pilot, but I DID take off on the leading edge of a cold front once. Once. Just once.

Yeah, the C-414 is not a great ice airplane. Not having onboard radar makes a big difference.

Passenger safety and comfort priority #1. I am thinking the trip would include turbulence.

Look at the weather now. Wow. It’s getting worse.

I've been doing contact pilot work on the side for a number of years. Recently mostly in twin Cessnas. In all that time I can't remember canceling a trip at the last minute for weather. But I did just that this morning. Trip was in a Cessna 414A from KLZU (east side of Atlanta) to KSRC (central
Arkansas) and back. We'd be penetrating a strong cold front with TS two times. Plane is FIKI but does not have working onboard weather radar. Icing forecast at about anything above 12,000'. Tops up to 45,000'. Oh, and 42kt headwind going west at 12K. This is a tough call because I basically stranded the plane's owner out there, and he'll have to rent a car and make a long drive back. I feel very comfortable sitting on the ground here typing this. OTOH I'm foregoing a paid trip and disappointing a good client. Thoughts?
your client would likely be a lot more disappointed had you been forced into an off-field landing resulting in injury or death. you did the right thing.

Hey man… we’re here for ya!

But… you shouldn’t be coming here for support on a decision like this. (Albeit GLAD to do it!!). You should rather be bragging about a decision like that… if ya get what I mean.

Bravo for doin it!

YEARS and this is the first time? Wow… THAT is bragging rights!

"You are paying me nothing to fly when everything is good; that's all free to you.
I am saving up all the money you are giving me for those days when I made the tough decision to tell you "No", to cancel/divert, in order to save your a ss and your airplane."

Nice work. I suspect Kobe Bryant's family wished his last pilot had done what you did.

That's a big bag of nope right there. Kinda like the opening scene of the new season of the Walking Dead.

Appreciate the comments. I've weaved my way between a lot of cells, but I really want VMC to do this. The front is a nasty one. Actually the text messages back from my client were: "OK. Just cancel the flight. We will drive. Thanks for trying.", "I truly appreciate you (sic) keeping us safe.", and "I understand. Better safe than sorry." What did I do in lieu of making the big money ;)? Played 9 holes before the front hits here and did pretty well.

Appreciate the comments. I've weaved my way between a lot of cells, but I really want VMC to do this. The front is a nasty one. Actually the text messages back from my client were: "OK. Just cancel the flight. We will drive. Thanks for trying.", "I truly appreciate you (sic) keeping us safe.", and "I understand. Better safe than sorry." What did I do in lieu of making the big money ;)? Played 9 holes before the front hits here and did pretty well.
That’s a great client. They get it.

That’s a great client. They get it.

Unlike when I flew charter back in the 90’s, most of my customers will cancel for weather before I do. If not, a simple “I can get you there safely, but it’s going to be bumpy” usually convinces them. In the worst case, it’s “I get paid to say no”

Last edited:
I landed in ATL a few hours ago and it was not a fun ride in my airliner from Chicago. Rides were crap from basically 0-39000 feet. Paralleled the line on the arrival from the north east (yes you read that right) and it looked nasty on the radar.

You made the right call

Front just hit here one minute ago. A deluge. And my phone just posted a radar confirmed tornado warning in this area. whew.

it's finally passing thru here and it's pretty nasty

Not sure if your flight would have taken you around this area, but I'd file this as +1 corroborating data point as to why it was smart to avoid flying in this storm :)!

upload_2023-1-12_17-55-25.png

Having watched the tornadoes all afternoon, looks like a good call. Griffin seems to have been hit pretty hard too.

Back