Can you get cleared through a TFR?

jd21476

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
jd21476
Im in South Florida right now visiting family and they have a large TFR over most of the area because Biden is arriving today. It went active about 2 hours ago from SFC to 17,999 but on radar I still see many small planes flying in the area. I expected the skies to be empty. So can you get clearance from ATC through a TFR if on FF or IFR?

You need to read the specific NOTAM. But in general, for a VIP TFR, you can fly through the outer ring if you file a VFR (or IFR) flight plan, and get a squawk code from ATC. They also want you to transit directly, or to/from your destination airport in the outer ring.

For GA flights with a discreet squawk code you can typically fly in the outer ring; with restrictions, such as no flight training (see the NOTAM). The inner ring is a no-go zone for GA flights.

As stated above, read the NOTAM for specifics.

Im in South Florida right now visiting family and they have a large TFR over most of the area because Biden is arriving today. It went active about 2 hours ago from SFC to 17,999 but on radar I still see many small planes flying in the area. I expected the skies to be empty. So can you get clearance from ATC through a TFR if on FF or IFR?

Yes. You can also not get one.

Don’t know about executive TFR’s, but I deploy with a voluntary disaster relief organizations and have flown into a TFR on a flight plan, even a VFR flight plan.

As others have said, read the restrictions. Usually talking and squawking you are good for the outer ring, but things can be different.

We used to depart Jackson Hole when Cheney was there, and I *believe* we were cleared through the inner, but not sure. Regardless, we were a commercial IFR departure. Avoidance was basically imposible.

Back