Can we quickly compare AOPA's Membership to EAA's

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
I got a letter in the mail to renew AOPA and I wasn't really satisfied with my membership. What memberships are you guys using and is it worth it?

So far I'm looking at EAA and I haven't become a member yet but what are your experiences?...Thank You.

FP

I belong to both mostly because I feel for political reasons the higher the membership numbers the better. I like both magazines but since i don't fly an experimental or homebuilt the EAA magazine isn't as pertinent to me.

When I had a medical issue a few years back with my CPAP usage I contacted the AOPA. All they did was email the number of the FAA medical dept. It was the same number that I'd spent countless hours on hold with very little help.

Both organizations are about collecting money. The only other organization that's more money hungry is the NRA.

Been with AOPA since the late 70s, didn't renew this year. Might be considering EAA though.

While I understand general aviation is slowly dying off, I support AOPA as I feel they do something vs nothing to help keep the last generation or two flying. I joined in 1989 and think I got a hat once and that's about it. I don't send to their political PAC, but I don't send to any political PAC! I do like the magazine and Flying as well. The price is a pretty small fraction of a % of what I spend on flying, so I am good with it. I don't get hit up for the fundraisers that seem to get other folks upset, maybe they don't think I can afford to spend any more money and they leave me alone??

I am a member of both AOPA & EAA. I am also a member of Seaplane Pilots Association (SPA). None of them are perfect and they all fall short at times in delivering the results they strive for, however when you are trying to change regulations & laws and are dealing with Congress and other political bodies, it is hard to have a 100% success rate. Any group of individuals who share a common interest/activity that is not shared by the population as a whole needs to have organizations that defend our interests. Without them, we risk losing what we hold dear. Now not everyone will join multiple organizations but I believe that each of us should join at least one. Which one you join is a personal choice but please do not bash the other ones.

EAA for me. Young Eagles program for introducing young folks 8-17 to general aviation (celebrating 25 years in 2017). Local chapters where you can meet like minded individuals and enjoy the events that they sponsor. EAA working on STC's for our certified aircraft such as the Dynon D-10 & D-100 and last, but not least Air Venture.

I am a member of both AOPA & EAA. I am also a member of Seaplane Pilots Association (SPA). None of them are perfect and they all fall short at times in delivering the results they strive for, however when you are trying to change regulations & laws and are dealing with Congress and other political bodies, it is hard to have a 100% success rate. Any group of individuals who share a common interest/activity that is not shared by the population as a whole needs to have organizations that defend our interests. Without them, we risk losing what we hold dear. Now not everyone will join multiple organizations but I believe that each of us should join at least one. Which one you join is a personal choice but please do not bash the other ones.

You are right and well noted but I didn't bash I said: " I wasn't satisfied with my membership" so I wanted to know of different options that are out there that I might not have seen.

EAA,.. AOPA, apples and oranges.
Different organizations and different mission statements. Yes some of it overlaps, but predominantly they have different interests.

Neither cause both magazines don't have a center fold out like that old guy's magazine does.

Eaa's work on 3rd class medical and recent part23 work seal it. Think Garmin G5 and electric attitude indicators. Huge deal and just the beginning.

You see aopa's response to the recent SMO news? Omg - where is the action?

Aopa had huge reserves. Stop hoarding cash and get to work lobbying not just raising $$.

Aopa reads this form - wonder if they will comment.

EAA can actually point to accomplishments over the last 5 years that benefit most pilots. AOPA, not so much.

I'm a member of both, but my current AOPA membership is only because they auto-renewed my account by tracking down the replacement card for the one I previously used to Auto-renew with them. That won't happen next year.

My sense is that AOPA has conceded the fight(s) for the most part, and now lives on as a zombie organization, out to collect member dues and advertising fees so the folks at the top of the AOPA food chain can keep their very well compensated jobs for as long as possible.

AOPA vs. EAA . . . .

Both have:
  • Magazines
  • Weekly email
  • Window decals
  • Nearby meetings (30-45 minute flight to all)
  • Lobby in Washington, D.C.
  • Webinars
  • Periodic get togethers
  • Insurance (I don't use either)
  • Daily emails during SnF and Osh
  • Flyins
  • Hats
  • T-shirts
  • Polo shirts
  • Jackets
  • Web forums
AOPA perks:
  • Air Safety Foundation (great stuff!)
  • Online seminars for WINGS credit
  • Easy links to FAA webpages
  • Online flight planner (haven't used the new one)
  • Airport information database (love this!)
  • Lobby in cities / states having issues
EAA perks:
  • Young Eagles
  • Cool new STCs coming to certified planes
  • Experimental information (I own a certified plane)
  • Work with RC pilots (through AMA)
  • Local chapters (none near me)
They both sound good, don't they? Slightly different focus, though. So I'm a happy member of both, plus my manufacturer-supported type club.

I'm only a paying member of the EAA. This is mostly b/c I am a member of the local EAA Club though.

Member of both. Need to join eaa to camp at OSH. like the aopa flight planner and airport info. read both magazines. life insurance through aopa and plane insurance through eaa.

Eaa's work on 3rd class medical and recent part23 work seal it. Think Garmin G5 and electric attitude indicators. Huge deal and just the beginning.

You see aopa's response to the recent SMO news? Omg - where is the action?

Aopa had huge reserves. Stop hoarding cash and get to work lobbying not just raising $$.

Aopa reads this form - wonder if they will comment.

I wish they'd just let SMO die and get on with it. It's been a fight for how many decades now? The only GA there are those in the biz jets anyway, and I'm sure they have enough money to fight it themselves if they care that much. I'm all for fighting to save GA airports, but SMO is one that seems like the community flat out hates it and it's unlikely to change, no matter how much cash AOPA has to throw at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was an AOPA member when I started flying with the student discount. Was great, saved money on the PPL and instrument written, got a neat training magazine to read. When I bought my plane I went through AOPA to try and find insurance and financing. In the end I found insurance cheaper on my own and the brokering of finance was a mess so just ended up paying cash.

Then I discovered expierementals and went nutty down that path and joined EAA. Like the building focus and the mag better. Also like the chapter meetings and tech counselors. Then AOPA started blowing up my email and snail mail with solicitations and fear mongering about losing my right to fly. I didn't renew out of spite....

That said next cycle with EAA I'll probably just reup on AOPA to support both organizations, it's less than I spend on going out for dinner so why not.

Hi FloridaPilot.

You didn't say why you weren't satisfied with your AOPA membership, but I am (as a pilot and AOPA member for many years) sorry to hear that. I am a member of AOPA and EAA like many here. I am really not a member because of the benefits, like magazines, hats and other similar things I can get for my membership dollar. I am a member because I believe airplane owners and pilots need to be represented in Washington if we want to keep flying our small airplanes, and AOPA lobbies on our behalf to help us keep doing that. I believe the airlines (not the airline pilots) would tax us out of flying if it weren't for AOPA's representation. It takes a lot of work and money for an organization to get in a position to be respected by members of congress and looked to by those members and their staffs for input on aviation issues. I believe AOPA has risen to that level. I like to fly and would like for my grandchildren to have the opportunity to fly also. If we, as pilots, don't have representation in Washington, then the Young Eagles rides we give as EAA members will not amount to much as the young kids we fly won't be able to afford to fly. Take a look at Europe if you don't agree with me. There but for AOPA, go we. I know a lot of the people here don't agree with my view, and that is their right and I respect that. As long as I can, though, I will remain a member of AOPA.

I wish they'd just let SMO die and get on with it. It's been a fight for how many decades now? The only GA there are those in the biz jets anyway, and I'm sure they have enough money to fight it themselves if they care that much. I'm all for fighting to save GA airports, but SMO is one that seems like the community flat out hates it and it's unlikely to change, no matter how much cash AOPA has to throw at it.

SMO is very convenient if you want to visit LA. I've been there in a 172 a couple of times, it's not that expensive and the location is great. VNY is more expensive and waaaay further out.

SMO is very convenient if you want to visit LA. I've been there in a 172 a couple of times, it's not that expensive and the location is great. VNY is more expensive and waaaay further out.

I'm not denying that it is a welcoming GA airport, and in a great location. My point is that AOPA and the airport residents have been fighting the neighborhoods and city council members for so long that even the FAA apparently got tired of hearing about it and caved.

and wrench turning.

I used to really enjoy reading the columns by Mike Busch, but they have not had one by him in over a year. Some don't agree with his methods but regardless he gave some good info that I've learned from. I even ran a mag until failure that left my plane stranded...hahaha but seriously I wish they would bring his work back in the Mag.

I am a member of both, they both offer things of value to me. EAA doesn't give out hats, I like hats..The secret to AOPA is not joining auto pay. Buddies of mine are on auto pay and they haven't got a hat in years. I hold out every year until the one that offers a hat, then I renew. Sorry I like hats and chap stick, my two favorite things in life that are cheap. Everything else I have expensive taste for.

Someone said AOPA reads this forum and asked if they respond.

I believe we have the answer.......

Hi FloridaPilot.

You didn't say why you weren't satisfied with your AOPA membership, but I am (as a pilot and AOPA member for many years) sorry to hear that. I am a member of AOPA and EAA like many here. I am really not a member because of the benefits, like magazines, hats and other similar things I can get for my membership dollar. I am a member because I believe airplane owners and pilots need to be represented in Washington if we want to keep flying our small airplanes, and AOPA lobbies on our behalf to help us keep doing that. I believe the airlines (not the airline pilots) would tax us out of flying if it weren't for AOPA's representation. It takes a lot of work and money for an organization to get in a position to be respected by members of congress and looked to by those members and their staffs for input on aviation issues. I believe AOPA has risen to that level. I like to fly and would like for my grandchildren to have the opportunity to fly also. If we, as pilots, don't have representation in Washington, then the Young Eagles rides we give as EAA members will not amount to much as the young kids we fly won't be able to afford to fly. Take a look at Europe if you don't agree with me. There but for AOPA, go we. I know a lot of the people here don't agree with my view, and that is their right and I respect that. As long as I can, though, I will remain a member of AOPA.

Okay, I'll bite. What are some of the lies that you were taught as history?

Hi FloridaPilot.

I get it now, and you guys are right. At this point in GA we need anyone who can fight for us in Washington to keep GA going. I just signed up for both. I'm excited what EAA has to offer though!

Neither. Both are too caught up in their own hype. Both publish stories that inflate their role in any issue. If you actually question any of the staff they know very little about the actual issue.

AOPA especially wouldn't know a real GA airport/community if it came and crapped on the ramp in frederick.

There was a poll about this about a year ago. It basically lead to a bunch of AOPA bashing. EAA doesn't ever seem to draw much bashing.

I belong to both. I think AOPA sends more spam and money requests. Also the AOPA magazine tends to have more high end advertising and I'm not likely to be getting into a M-600 unless I win the lottery or change occupation to hitman or drug runner (those seem exciting and well paying).

For the little money the memberships cost, do both for a year and decide on the value based on your read of the magazines.

Member of both and enjoy both magazines. As a builder of experimental airplanes, EAA is the best from that perspective. As a pilot, I love the safety videos and courses sponsored by AOPA.

So my money goes to both.

Cheers

Someone said AOPA reads this forum and asked if they respond.

I believe we have the answer.......

Sorry to disappoint, but I am not associated with AOPA other than being a member. We will have to keep waiting :).

I belong to both. It can't hurt, and I enjoy the magazines and other benefits of both.

Thoughts on AOPA Medical & Legal plan??

Does EAA offer that?

This comment is way off base.

I attended AOPA's Prescott, AZ fly in and was very impressed. AOPA had the congressman from the area address the crowd, lined up lots of vendors displaying their wares, put on multiple seminars and programs, organized an airshow, had all the top staff available (and I will say they were all very approachable), hosted a breakfast, lunch, ice cream social, arranged for static displays of aircraft, as well as other activities and attractions. I don't see how it could have been more GA friendly, addressing GA issues and concerns.

I also regularly attend the safety seminars AOPA puts on twice a year. Those seminars are always well attended, so folks must like them and get something out of them as I do.

I can't imagine how difficult it is in today's highly partisan environment in Washington DC trying to get anything done. It has to be worse than herding cats. I believe AOPA is doing as well as they can.

I'm as skeptical as the next guy, but I do think AOPA delivers value for the membership fee.

Prescott Arizona, home of Riddle Diddle, (or any of the other fly in locations) hardly represent the vast majority of GA airports.

Was a member of AOPA for many years but dropped them last year.
They have and spend way too much money and the political correctness of the magazine became more than i was willing to accept. So i left and i feel much better now. :)

I have to admit, So far my favorite out of the two is EAA

The only other organization that's more money hungry is the NRA.

No joke! Eeesh... Lifetime Member and I still get pinged incessantly for money.

I am member of both EAA and AOPA. Like features of both, but probably relate a bit more to AOPA.

aopa for longer than I can count, not anymore.eaa is my choice as they have the average single engine recip driver as there target.aopa is working for the pros and turbine guys of which poa has many so aopa is a better option for them . and they need to take a look at were there dollars are going and see if is within their tolerance of pain.

The one thing I always hear about GA is that it's too expensive.

After seeing what the EAA did with the Avionics stuff and potentially with the parts stuff. I am going to join them too. I am also going to attend my local EAA chapter meeting next month.

As some others said above, I don't fly experimental but I joined EAA last year and dropped AOPA. I don't read the magazines anyway, I just feel like EAA has done more recently especially with avionics. Will plan on going to my local EAA chapter meeting next month as well.

The one thing I always hear about GA is that it's too expensive.

It's because they're doing it wrong... sure the term 'expensive' is subjective but get 6 guys together buy an old 172 and split the costs 6 ways. Don't do any wet rate/dry rate nonsense with MX hold backs ect... just fly the crap out of the plane and split any costs and have everyone fill up by the end of the day. It's cheaper than golf!

Both - AOPA has it's flaws, but the membership price is low, the magazine is well done, and their online training resources are useful. I find something valuable in the magazine every month, and it's a good supplement to Flying magazine. The pings for donations don't bother me particularly, and we need someone lobbying.

EAA just because it's fun, and they do seem to get legislative results - I don't go to the local chapter meetings, but I am sloooowly building (actually, might never finish a wood and fabric design, but we'll see, in retirement. Or not!) - I have been to Oshkosh; I may consider a homebuilt as a purchase eventually, as well, so the EAA resources are useful, and interesting. And again, the price isn't very high.

Back