Can we have a recipe section?

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
Business is slow, so I have less money to fly :( , but more time to cook :smile: .

-Rich

I'm liking your idea. I'm not that great in the kitchen, but I do love cooking on the grill and usually cook the entire meal on the bbq. Don't tell the WindWood POA Crew that though, cuz I was drinkin' whilst they were cooking! It was a great meal I must admit!

I'm all for the recipe section. To include in your business case - we do, do a lot of campin' and could use good recipes for those "roughing it" situations.

A lot of good recipes have been posted here; would be handy to have them all in one place.

In that case, just get rid of all sections and search for whatever you're looking for. :eek:

I will volunteer to test any recipe you choose to try! Esp those in the cookie/cake/pastry category. My address is.......

In that case, just get rid of all sections and search for whatever you're looking for. :eek:

Ah, extremism at its finest. ;)

I just think we have "sections" that don't really make sense already (for example, the sports section) when there won't really be the volume of threads to justify it. If we keep making up a new forum for every little occasionally-discussed subject, PoA is going to turn into a hard-to-navigate mess.

Ah, extremism at its finest. ;)

I just think we have "sections" that don't really make sense already (for example, the sports section) when there won't really be the volume of threads to justify it. If we keep making up a new forum for every little occasionally-discussed subject, PoA is going to turn into a hard-to-navigate mess.

Yeah, can't argue that. Just bustin' your chops, Kent. :yesnod:

I will volunteer to test any recipe you choose to try! Esp those in the cookie/cake/pastry category. My address is.......

Ingredients for rum cake
bullet_arrow_up.gif

• 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 cup of dried fruit
  • 1 tsp of baking soda
  • 2 eggs, large
  • lemon juice
  • 1 or 2 quarts of rum
  • brown sugar
  • 1 cup of butter
  • baking powder
  • nuts

Directions
bullet_arrow_up.gif

1. Before starting, sample the rum to check the quality.
  2. Good, isn't it?
  3. Now proceed.
  4. Select large mixing bowl, measuring cup, etc.
  5. Check rum again.
  6. It must be just right.
  7. To be sure rum is of proper quality, pour one level cup of rum into a glass and drink it as fast as you can.
  8. With electric mixer, beat one cup of butter ina a large fluffly bowl.
  9. Add one teaspoon of thugar and beat again.
  10. Meanwhile, make sure rum is alright.
  11. Try another cup.
  12. Open second quart if necessary.
  13. Add eggs, 2 cups fried druit and cheat til high.
  14. If druit gets stuck in beaters, pry loose with drewscriber.
  15. Sample rum again-checking for tonscistitcity.
  16. Nest, sift 3 cups of pepper or salt. (really doesn't matter.) Sample rum.
  17. Sift 1/2 pint lemon juice. Fold in chopped butter and strained nuts.
  18. Add 1 bablespoon of brown thugar or whatever color you can find.
  19. Wix mel.
  20. Grease oven, turn the cake 360 degrees, pour mess in oven and bake.
  21. Check rum again and bo to ged.

I also like to cook. Even if we just post them in Hangar Talk, I think its a great idea.

I agree. A single recipe thread would be a great idea.

And you can always use tags on the posts. It's a fairly underused technology here, IME.

Ingredients for rum cake
bullet_arrow_up.gif

• 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 cup of dried fruit
  • 1 tsp of baking soda
  • 2 eggs, large
  • lemon juice
  • 1 or 2 quarts of rum
  • brown sugar
  • 1 cup of butter
  • baking powder
  • nuts

Directions
bullet_arrow_up.gif
  1. Before starting, sample the rum to check the quality.
  2. Good, isn't it?
  3. Now proceed.
  4. Select large mixing bowl, measuring cup, etc.
  5. Check rum again.
  6. It must be just right.
  7. To be sure rum is of proper quality, pour one level cup of rum into a glass and drink it as fast as you can.
  8. With electric mixer, beat one cup of butter ina a large fluffly bowl.
  9. Add one teaspoon of thugar and beat again.
  10. Meanwhile, make sure rum is alright.
  11. Try another cup.
  12. Open second quart if necessary.
  13. Add eggs, 2 cups fried druit and cheat til high.
  14. If druit gets stuck in beaters, pry loose with drewscriber.
  15. Sample rum again-checking for tonscistitcity.
  16. Nest, sift 3 cups of pepper or salt. (really doesn't matter.) Sample rum.
  17. Sift 1/2 pint lemon juice. Fold in chopped butter and strained nuts.
  18. Add 1 bablespoon of brown thugar or whatever color you can find.
  19. Wix mel.
  20. Grease oven, turn the cake 360 degrees, pour mess in oven and bake.
  21. Check rum again and bo to ged.

ROTHLMAO!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Can we get a condiment section? I think we need to have a frank discussion about the regal spice known as mustard and the bastardized tomato sauce known as ketchup!

Can we get a condiment section? I think we need to have a frank discussion about the regal spice known as mustard and the bastardized tomato sauce known as ketchup!

Man, I had a bbq on Saturday, big success. The most commonly used condiment? Ketchup.

MMMMMmmmmm!!!! Ketchup/Mustard on a hot dog is the only way to go. How anyone can stand in the face of that, but still put tomato and onion SLICES on their hotdogs blows my mind.

Seriously, how anyone be against ketchup, but be ok with:
ChicagoHotdog.jpg

By my count, that has Peppers, Onions, Tomato, Pickle, mustard, and a slew of other grossness on it. Blegh.

Man, I had a bbq on Saturday, big success. The most commonly used condiment? Ketchup.

MMMMMmmmmm!!!! Ketchup/Mustard on a hot dog is the only way to go. How anyone can stand in the face of that, but still put tomato and onion SLICES on their hotdogs blows my mind.

Seriously, how anyone be against ketchup, but be ok with:
ChicagoHotdog.jpg

By my count, that has Peppers, Onions, Tomato, Pickle, mustard, and a slew of other grossness on it. Blegh.
Pure tomato goodness is put on a Chicago style hotdog, none fo that silly child like ketchup! Bleah!

Yeah but you are not even American so what you know about America's favorite food, hot dogs!! You stinking ketchup lovin' New Mexican!!! ;)

:D :D :D :D

Pure tomato goodness is put on a Chicago style hotdog, none fo that silly child like ketchup! Bleah!

Yeah but you are not even American so what you know about America's favorite food, hot dogs!! You stinking ketchup lovin' New Mexican!!! ;)

:D :D :D :D

True dat.

Chile Cheese Dog is a little different out here. No meat and beans chile for me: give me liquified green chile, nacho cheese and mustard please.

By the way, on a Chili Cheese Dog (with the meat and beans), I agree 100%: No ketchup. Only mustard.

mustard is gross on anything. ketchup for my hot dogs, please.

The tag cloud is also shown during advanced searches.

Hell if I know what a tag cloud is or how to use it though.

I love how on an aviation website, our biggest tag is WHINER.
That is just because no one uses tags -- and someone thought it'd be a good idea to use them in negative ways and not use them in the positive ways they are supposed to be used.

And how do you add a tag to a post or a thread? Is it only available on the original post that starts a thread?

edit: Now I see it. The first post gets up to 5 tags, other at the end of thread is an Edit Tags link.

Last edited:
How do you get to it other than the direct link you posted? I had never seen it before.

You click on the word "Tags" at the top of the tags section at the bottom of every thread.

You click on the word "Tags" at the top of the tags section at the bottom of every thread.
Well that explains it. It is not in a spot that is anywhere near intuitive. If I am looking for something I am not likely to already be in a thread. I would want to have the link a little handier, like having the cloud on the front page of the forums. Is that a possible option? It may help assist people with searching for topics.

The tag cloud is also shown during advanced searches.
I did not notice that before. I would use the tag search on the advanced search. I should have scrolled down.

Hell if I know what a tag cloud is or how to use it though.
Tags are metadata that is used to facilitate searches by describing the thread topic by subject word. Theoretically you can link several metadata tags together in a search and have a better chance of finding what you are looking for than a normal key word search of text. That only really works if the metadata tags are strictly enforced in how they are used. In a situation like here on PoA they help. But since they are user defined sometimes will have failures in assisting you with locating the info.

The tag cloud also gives a visual clue as to what the most used tag is. It will be the word that is bigger and bolder. So one can get a relative ranking of what is popular.

Back