Can we get a "crash" forum?

This is a private forum and the owners and management are free to do as they see fit. If they don't want such a subforum to exist, that is their decision to make and its not my place to question it. But I have to say I also don't think I understand it.

There are aviation related forums and posting groups on certain social media platforms that do not allow any topics related to accidents or their investigations. I sort of get that. I can't say that I agree with it but I get it.

Which is why I think I struggle a bit to understand the decision to allow discussion of such topics yet being opposed to allowing those topics to be grouped together in one place. Google exists and works well for finding those discussions even if the person doing the search has never seen this forum. The forum itself also has a search function that allows anyone to quickly find said topics. The only people impacted in any way by the decision to keep those topics spread all over several different sub forums instead of organized into one place, are those who actually participate in the discussions and potentially stand to derive benefit from them.

Again the forum administration has its reasons I'm sure and its not my place to question those reasons nor their decision not to share them. But from my perspective, it sure seems like a decision that isn't offering any realistic measure of protection of anyone from harm and at the same time is degrading the experience of active forum users and $upporters.

I like the idea. Beachtalk has a sub forum and it’s easy to find what’s up in that regard without sifting through other threads or multiple threads popping up. My .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The MC has discussed this. The prior hesitance with this discussion revolved around the desire to make the forum private - or private for a certain amount of time. Adding a private section of the board is NOT something that will be considered, even if it is private for a short amount of time.

That being said, none of us have a problem with a public sub-forum of Flight Following named "Aviation Mishaps". This will be implemented as soon as Jason has the time to do so. After this sub-forum has been created, we would encourage members to report past crash threads, (yes we know there are many so bear with us) and we will get them moved.

Thanks for the spirited discussion all.

The MC has discussed this. The prior hesitance with this discussion revolved around the desire to make the forum private - or private for a certain amount of time. Adding a private section of the board is NOT something that will be considered, even if it is private for a short amount of time.

That being said, none of us have a problem with a public sub-forum of Flight Following named "Aviation Mishaps". This will be implemented as soon as Jason has the time to do so. After this sub-forum has been created, we would encourage members to report past crash threads, (yes we know there are many so bear with us) and we will get them moved.

Yeah, no reason for it to be private.

Thanks! It also means that from time to time we can intentionally avoid that section, too.

Thanks! It also means that from time to time we can intentionally avoid that section, too.
Yeah, it'll go on ignore the day it's launched. I hope those that want it enjoy it though...just not my thing.

Thanks to @Ted DuPuis this is done. Let the mass of reports flow and we'll try to handle them as we can. Please put in your report something to the effect of "Move to aviation mishaps".

Thanks to @Ted DuPuis this is done. Let the mass of reports flow and we'll try to handle them as we can. Please put in your report something to the effect of "Move to aviation mishaps".

I'll nominate you to handle those reports, Austin. I did the easy work, being the kid you get to do the hard work. :D

y i no c on forum ?

Edit: under flight following as subForum

I think this crash forum needs to be one of the forums displayed on the main page not in a sub forum.

I'm just saying people are missing that it even exists. New posts about mishaps in the main forums.
To be fair, people post stuff in the wrong place even when the correct place is right on the main list.

I think this crash forum needs to be one of the forums displayed on the main page not in a sub forum.
+1 Maybe this will be enough to get me banned LOL!

I do agree though. I think its awesome you added it!!! Just seemed weird to be under another forum vs on its own.

This is great, one suggestion though, on another forum they put the location and a short description of the incident and the date in the title, which makes it easier to find the OP when the reports come out and helps prevent duplicate threads. Suggest we do the same.

Wow someone is picky.
I'm just saying people are missing that it even exists. New posts about mishaps in the main forums.

Actually,I agree with EdFred on this one. I went looking for it, couldn't find it, had to come back here, read Ted's post and follow the link to it. Saw it was a sub forum and mumbled "that's f****ed up".

It doesn't matter to me, my next act it to put that forum on ignore anyway because all the wild uniformed speculation that occurs in those threads is very annoying and serves no purpose other than to get me banned when I call someone a fricken moron.

:)

Last edited:
It doesn't matter to me, my next act it to put that forum on ignore anyway because all the wild uniformed speculation that occurs in those threads is very annoying and serves no purpose other than to get me banned when I call someone a fricken moron.

:)
And how exactly does that differ from most of the other forums?

And how exactly does that differ from most of the other forums?

Well, for one, we don't talk about plane crashes on the couple of hobby forums I'm on. :D

Well, for one, we don't talk about plane crashes on the couple of hobby forums I'm on. :D
I was using the word "Forum" in the same context you were in the title of this thread. I was referring to forums, or folders, or whatever you want to call it, here on POA.

Just some place to put all the incidents and accidents that aren't our own. That way it's really easy to find all the crash threads, and alleviates the multiple threads on the same crash since they end up in HT, FF, PT, Mx, CP....well every sub-forum.

There already is an aviation mishaps forum

Back