Can the CNX80/480 display traffic feed from GTX345

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
My question du jour is: Can we get the ADS-B In Traffic feed from the GTX345 to show up on our CNX80/480 box?

Our club 182 has a CNX80, and we had installed the GTX345 to take care of the ADS-B In and Out requirements.

I've noticed that the two devices are taking with one another.
  • I can input a transponder code via the CNX80 and the GTX345 accepts it.
  • And the GTX345 appears to be populating certain data fields on the CNX80.

What we don't have going on at the moment is display of Traffic. When you go to that page/screen on the CNX80, "NO TRAFFIC SOURCE" (or something like it) is shown.

Google-fu found an installation manual for the GNS480, which shows

upload_2020-8-10_14-26-45.png. (click image to expand)

And if not from the GTX345, is there a different device that would accomplish this?

i believe the answer is yes, i had inquired with my previous set up with my avionics shop, but i chose to connect it to GMX 200 at that time. 8 target max if i recall correctly.

FIS-B weather would be a bonus....!

Unfortunately no, other than TIS-A on a 335. TIS-B (ADS-B traffic) and FIS-B (ADS-B weather data) on a 345 are not available on the GNS480. It can control the transponder and can provide the required position source, but that's about it.

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 1.23.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 1.24.09 PM.png

My question du jour is: Can we get the ADS-B In Traffic feed ... to show up on our CNX80/480 box?
...is there a different device that would accomplish this?

You can do it, but my advice is that you do NOT want to do it... my GMX200 and GNS480 were both initially configured to show NavWorx ADS-B traffic... and even post NavWorx AD (with or without the AMOC), you can still use the NavWorx box for traffic in...

However... when traffic appears on the 480, it locks it up for a few seconds... and in busy places, that can drive you crazy... imagine you're shooting an instrument approach, and ATC clears you direct to a fix a bit further down the line, or deletes the HILOPT... but, there's traffic alerting... for the several seconds it takes to display that traffic, the buttons and knobs on the 480 are locked out... you can't do anything but watch. OK, that times, out, but now, there's more traffic... and you're locked out again.

Same thing if Approach sends you to Tower... you can NOT switch frequencies while traffic is alerting. It's enough to drive a guy crazy!

After trying it for a couple months, we disabled traffic in to the 480... it is more than enough to see it on the GMX200, and the com and GPS keep working normally!

Paul

After trying it for a couple months, we disabled traffic in to the 480
Thanks for the info.

We have our iPads all BT'd to the GTX345 and that works for pretty much all of the club members.

But discussions to do some avionics upgrades are happening soon. And I wanted to have as many answers to the "Could we do this...?" questions as I can.

Get an L-3 unit and have traffic displayed on that. Also the L-3 unit will talk to ALLLLLLLL flavors of tablet/EFB software, not just the walled garden variety.

Back