Can student pilot operate airplane with pilot, or only CFI?

stevenhmiller

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Steve's Archer
I'm a new student pilot. Can I operate my airplane with a pilot friend, or am I only allowed to fly it with a CFI? I need to practice some maneuvers and a friend of mine is a pilot and offered to go up with me to practice.

I'm a new student pilot. Can I operate my airplane with a pilot friend, or am I only allowed to fly it with a CFI? I need to practice some maneuvers and a friend of mine is a pilot and offered to go up with me to practice.
You can practice with any pilot higher than student, but you can only log time with the CFI or if the other pilot is an ATP FAR 61.51

The FARs are your friend, 61, 91 will be questioned by the DPE.

Last edited:
You can practice with any pilot higher than student, but you can only log time with the CFI.

Beautiful. Good to know. I don't care about logging time on practicing. Just need to work on cleaning up things and solidifying my skills.

Thanks!

Your friend would be the PIC of your plane. It would be no different than your friend taking his mother up to go sight seeing and letting her handle the controls. He as PIC can let you make maneuvers and practice all you want. And it is all good experience I guess. But you cannot log any of it.

Steven, since he's not a cfi, he may not feel comfortable flying from the right seat. Ask him how he feels about it.

Steven, since he's not a cfi, he may not feel comfortable flying from the right seat. Ask him how he feels about it.

PIC can fly from whatever seat. If the pilot friend doesn't like the right seat, then Steven can fly from the right instead.

Although it is legal to fly with your friend with him acting as pilot in command from the right seat, if there were any incident, even a minor runway issue like damaging a runway light, you can be sure your insurance company would question his flying from the right seat and potentially accuse you of using the plane for instruction, which is likely not covered.

That said..... I did it all the time when I was a student!!

You can practice with any pilot higher than student, but you can only log time with the CFI or if the other pilot is an ATP FAR 61.51

Not with an ATP, Murphy. ATP instructional privileges are limited to instruction in "air transportation service" (FAR 61.167(a)(2)). It means both the ATP and the student need to be in the same air carrier training program. Not to many student pilots there :)

Last edited:

The FARs are your friend, 61, 91 will be questioned by the DPE.

Where are you seeing the reference to ATP?

Before I was a student pilot, I flew about 30 hours in South Africa (in a South African registered plane). The PIC was an ATP (but not a CFI). I was pretty sure I could not log that time.

If they are licensed, you can fly it, you just can't log it.

I suspect that whoever he may be riding with will decide which seat they wish to sit in.

I'm am also reasonably confidant that putting a student pilot in the right seat so they can play from there will not automatically cause the airplane to seek out the nearest school for handicapped children and crash into it. Nor will it cause said student to be psychologically damaged and thus unable to obtain a pilot certificate.

check insurance. Your friend may not minimum criteria for open pilot coverage if there is an incident.

Before I was a student pilot, I flew about 30 hours in South Africa (in a South African registered plane). The PIC was an ATP (but not a CFI). I was pretty sure I could not log that time.

61.51 (e) and as Mark pointed out, I missed the 'and' at the end of the phrase.

Although it is legal to fly with your friend with him acting as pilot in command from the right seat, if there were any incident, even a minor runway issue like damaging a runway light, you can be sure your insurance company would question his flying from the right seat and potentially accuse you of using the plane for instruction, which is likely not covered.

That said..... I did it all the time when I was a student!!
Why the hassle about the right seat? The cadets at the USAF Academy learn in the right seat from the beginning. There's nothing sacred about the left/right seat.

check insurance. Your friend may not minimum criteria for open pilot coverage if there is an incident.

Irrelevant. The friend is the PIC, the student is merely a passenger

I would check to see if your pilot friend has ever flown frotheright seat? Could be a problem , if a problem shouldpresetutself

Irrelevant. The friend is the PIC, the student is merely a passenger

it's the student's plane. although legal, his friend may not meet requirements to be covered on policy. I had to add my CFII to the policy b/c he didn't have enough mooney time.

I guess I could have used a word other than incident. I meant something that involves $$.

It's just a comfort thing, personally I don't care, I've instructed enough in the right or rear seat that ether is fine with me (as long as I have flight controls :) ).

If your friend is OK with it, go for it.

You were correct. Logging training time requires the training to be given by an "authorized instructor." 61.51(h). ATPs are authorized to give instruction by 61.167(a)(2) but it's limited to air carrier programs. It's a fairly common error.

It's just a comfort thing, personally I don't care, I've instructed enough in the right or rear seat that ether is fine with me (as long as I have flight controls :) ).
Yeah, me too. But if you recall, unless you were very unusual (and if you are one of those naturals, I envy you), those first few times in the "wrong" seat were very disconcerting and probably involved re-learning how to land the airplane.

Why the hassle about the right seat? The cadets at the USAF Academy learn in the right seat from the beginning. There's nothing sacred about the left/right seat.
They do indeed. But they are trained from the git-go to fly from that seat with stick in the right hand and throttle in the left, and the flight instruments and other controls are set up for right seat flying. OTOH, a Private Pilot with no training or experience in flying from the right seat may have a few difficulties with that (including cross-cockpit instrument reference and control reach). Further, there's nothing in the required training for Private Pilot which prepares someone to be able to evaluate the performance of another person manipulating the controls, deciding when intervention is necessary, and knowing how to intervene in an effective and timely manner -- that isn't covered until initial CFI training. As a result, there are significant risks allowing someone who is not a qualified pilot to fly the plane while someone who is not a qualified instructor occupies an unfamiliar position in the aircraft.

So, it's legal to do (as long as the Student doesn't try to log the time), but not necessarily safe.

Yeah, me too. But if you recall, unless you were very unusual (and if you are one of those naturals, I envy you), those first few times in the "wrong" seat were very disconcerting and probably involved re-learning how to land the airplane.

I did some right seat flying. Took 3 or 4 landing to get the new sight picture down. Instructor never had to help but they weren't pretty.

it's the student's plane. although legal, his friend may not meet requirements to be covered on policy. I had to add my CFII to the policy b/c he didn't have enough mooney time.

I guess I could have used a word other than incident. I meant something that involves $$.

Ownership changes everything. If the policy has limits and the friend doesn't meet the minimums, whole different story.

I did some right seat flying. Took 3 or 4 landing to get the new sight picture down. Instructor never had to help but they weren't pretty.
My typical response to a new CFI candidate who posts or asks about how to get used to it is, "You want to be an instructor; here's your first task - teach yourself how to fly and land from the right seat."

Friend is a pilot with over 1000 hours. My insurance policy clearly states minimum 300 hours. So, that's not an issue. I can fly with him. He is perfectly comfortable flying right seat and insists I fly the left because I need to learn from that perspective.

Friend is a pilot with over 1000 hours. My insurance policy clearly states minimum 300 hours. So, that's not an issue. I can fly with him. He is perfectly comfortable flying right seat and insists I fly the left because I need to learn from that perspective.
Sounds good to me. The regs don't authorize you to log the time but the practice is usually valuable.

But here's what I suggest (the "usually"). There's no benefit to practicing something incorrectly and your friend may or may not be good for the purpose of suggesting corrections (far more goes into that than being a good pilot, or even a good instructor). So you might run things by your instructor. He might have good suggestions on what to focus on and how to best integrate your practice sessions with your training.

Then you are good to go. He will be PIC, you will be a passenger along for the ride that he lets use the controls. He can log PIC time, you can log nothing. Have fun and enjoy the cheap help and practice.

Then you are good to go. He will be PIC, you will be a passenger along for the ride that he lets use the controls. He can log PIC time, you can log nothing. Have fun and enjoy the cheap help and practice.
Let's open another can of worms....Friend is PIC, your airplane.
1) Is it legal for friend to contribute more than pro-rata share of the fuel?
2) Conversely, is it legal for OP who owns the airplane to pay for all the fuel?

(evil laugh)

2) Conversely, is it legal for OP who owns the airplane to pay for all the fuel?

(evil laugh)

1) Yes, because the friend is the PIC, and the PIC can always pay more than the pro-rata under .113.

2) Yes as there is absolutely common purpose.

You were correct. Logging training time requires the training to be given by an "authorized instructor." 61.51(h). ATPs are authorized to give instruction by 61.167(a)(2) but it's limited to air carrier programs. It's a fairly common error.

I don't think I can claim the 182 belonged to Desert Nomad International Airlines. :D

(evil laugh)

Not sure what this is about, but it's my plane and since it's my practice time, I would assume paying gas. He has his own plane. But, if he asked to use my plane to go somewhere, and I was coming along and using it for practice time, he would pay for fuel.

The instructor I use is an ex-U2 pilot. My open pilot clause requires 25 hours of retract time. I asked him if the fact that the wheels fell off his plane qualified as retract time.

Unless the friend is a Commercial/ATP with at least Second Class medical, it isn't legal for the PIC friend to put in less than the full direct cost unless there's a common purpose for the flight. Otherwise, the friend is providing pilot services for compensation, and that isn't within PP privileges.

Since the PIC in the right seat gets to log all the time, it isn't legal for the OP to pay one cent towards the fuel unless there's "common purpose" for the flight ("same day/same way" rule), in which case the PIC must pay at least half the direct cost.

Note: That's strict reading of the regs. What you can do without anyone caring as long as nobody tells the FAA is another story entirely.

Last edited:
1) Yes, because the friend is the PIC, and the PIC can always pay more than the pro-rata under .113.
Agreed.

2) Yes as there is absolutely common purpose.
And what is the "common purpose"? Did they both have a demonstrable reason to be flying to that particular destination on that particular day? I didn't see that in the original post, just that the Student wanted to do some flying and the PIC is providing pilot services as PIC, and that's not "common purpose" as the FAA defines it.

Last edited:
Not sure what this is about, but it's my plane and since it's my practice time, I would assume paying gas.
If your pal is a Commercial/ATP, it's legal for you to compensate him for his pilot services (acting as PIC for the flight). If he's only a PP, he cannot accept that free or cut-rate flight time since there is no apparent "common purpose" for the flight.

Agreed.

And what is the "common purpose"? Did they both have a demonstrable reason to be flying to that particular destination on that particular day? I didn't see that in the original post, just that the Student wanted to do some flying and the PIC is providing pilot services as PIC, and that's not "common purpose" as the FAA defines it.

So my dad is out of medical for some reason, and says "Hey, can you go flying with me, I want to practice my landings."

Since I only have a 3rd Class medical I have to pay my dad for half the fuel if I don't log it as instruction? Substitute "dad" for brother/mother/uncle/friend I've known since I was 7.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

So my dad is out of medical for some reason, and says "Hey, can you go flying with me, I want to practice my landings."

Since I only have a 3rd Class medical I have to pay my dad for half the fuel if I don't log it as instruction? Substitute "dad" for brother/mother/uncle/friend I've known since I was 7.
Different situation -- your Dad is rated for the aircraft so you can't log the time or landings. In the OP's case, the OP is not rated and cannot log anything, while the nonflying PIC can log it all as the only rated pilot aboard.

My mom likes to go up and do a pinch hitter refresher in my dad's plane. She has no desire to get a certificate and it has never been logged as instruction. (by either myself or the other CFI)

You're saying I have to pay for (at least) half the fuel in the plane every time my mom flies dad's plane since I only have a 3rd class?

Substitute mom for best friend's wife/kid.

My mom likes to go up and do a pinch hitter refresher in my dad's plane. She has no desire to get a certificate and it has never been logged as instruction. (by either myself or the other CFI)

You're saying I have to pay for (at least) half the fuel in the plane every time my mom flies dad's plane since I only have a 3rd class?

Substitute mom for best friend's wife/kid.
You're a CFI. You know what the regulations and the Chief Counsel both say. You can figure it out for yourself.

Back