Can someone assist me in picking out a headset?

jb223

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
st0990
Hey Guys,

I'm still in training but I think it's time to buy a headset. The loaner headsets at my school barely work and make ATC communication difficult at times :eek:.

I'd love a $1000 Bose headset but that is out of my price range. I'm more in the $400 price range. I'd appreciate recommendations of what to buy and where to buy it.

I'd also love something with active noise reduction and aux audio or bluetooth hookup.

I'm still in training but I think it's time to buy a headset. The loaner headsets at my school barely work and make ATC communication difficult at times :eek:.

I'd love a $1000 Bose headset but that is out of my price range. I'm more in the $400 price range. I'd appreciate recommendations of what to buy and where to buy it.

I'd also love something with active noise reduction and aux audio or bluetooth hookup.

I can't recommend a model, but I can recommend a brand.

I had a microphone fail on a David Clark headset that was five years beyond the written five year warranty. I shipped it off to DC with a letter asking for an estimate of the repair cost before they took any action. They didn't respond to the letter, I got the headset back about a week later. They had replaced the microphone as well as the ear pads (which I hadn't mentioned and didn't think needed replacement) and shipped it back to me, no charge.

A couple years after that I needed another headset, so I bought another David Clark. I didn't even consider another brand. If I ever need another headset it will be a David Clark.

The only thing I can recommend is to show up at Oshkosh, Sun N Fun, Sporty's, or anywhere else there are lots of headsets for sale and see what fits you. What suits another may not suit you at all. I love my Dave Clarks but my wife gets a headache wearing them.

For a $400 budget, I'd look for a good used Bose X, they are usually in the $450-500 range, but you see them once in a while for $400. :D

I've had excellent customer service from Lightspeed, and they've earned my loyalty.

Their lower-cost option is the Sierra, and I now have two in my Sky Arrow - nice headsets.

List at $600, but you can get a trade-in allowance:

http://www.lightspeedaviation.com/content/lightspeedaviation/CustomPages/tradeupprogram.htm

I had two VERY old and ragged Lightspeed 15XL's that they gave me $250 credit each. That brought my cost down to $350 plus shipping.

For that deal, even if you didn't have headsets to trade, it might be worth heading over to eBay to score some!

Oh, and did I mention my old ones were VERY ragged?

10715358816_d36bcc875e.jpg

I have Sierra's for my passengers and I've used them myself and like them. Look for used ones in good condition, or even better user their trade in program like mentioned above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I seem to collect headsets.

In the price range you are looking at, I would consider a Clarity Aloft Classic. I found them at a price lower than what is advertised on the company website. They are the 'in-ear' kind and make understanding ATC very easy. They don't have active noise reduction, the measured SPLs at the eardrum are not much higher than a good ANR set.

Another headset I really like is the David Clark 10-30XL. Sturdy, good ANR, not quite the price of a Bose or Lightspeed.

Look at the Bose QC15 (I think that is the model) and the uFly Mike adapter.

Bose quality in your price range.

There are some great headsets out there, and some sub-par ones. A high price doesn't always mean they're better, I promise. Read the details, and try as many of them IN the aircraft as you can before making up your mind.
Most of the major brands will have 30 day money-back trials.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have about headsets. We also carry amazing American made custom headsets, with all of those features.

Last edited:
I grabbed a Rugged headset brand new off amazon for like $150. although I haven't used anything else, I've had zero issues with these, they sound fine, fit relatively fine (were pretty tight in the beginning but fit fine now) and will make a great passenger set when I "upgrade" (by upgrade I mean spend more money ? :hairraise: ? ). oh, the ear foam pieces might need replacing, but still, $150? pretty sweet when ur a starving student pilot.

EDIT: here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/RA454-Rugged-...qid=1385912922&sr=1-5&keywords=rugged+headset

Last edited:
The only thing I can recommend is to show up at Oshkosh, Sun N Fun, Sporty's, or anywhere else there are lots of headsets for sale and see what fits you.

:yeahthat:

Head shapes are different, so you must find a headset that fits your head shape. Borrow as many different headsets as you can, and pick one that is good for you.

If you are serious about this flying thing and intend to fly a lot, stretch your budget and get an ANR. If that price is too steep for you, check E-bay and Craig's list.

-Skip

The only thing I can recommend is to show up at Oshkosh, Sun N Fun, Sporty's, or anywhere else there are lots of headsets for sale and see what fits you. What suits another may not suit you at all. I love my Dave Clarks but my wife gets a headache wearing them.

This is the best advice. Altho my Dave Clarks are the most comfortable headset I own (have 2) I use the Lightspeed Zulu as my personal headset because I want the ANR. I found the Bose not nearly as comfortable as the ulus. Again, which headset is best suited to your head.

The name brands will give you 30 day trial period. Use it. See/Hear which are best for you both in comfort and sound. Then find one in good shape on eBay if the retail cost is out of your budget.

Rule of thumb - get the best fitting/best sound you can. It's your ears for life.

I give the same recommendation to students & friends looking to buy a new computer - go for the best quality monitor you can afford - it's your eyes, don't go cheap.

I have a collection of non-ANR headsets (ASA Classic, DC H10-13.4 and 10-30, Telex Echelon 20, and a Sennheiser) and out of all of these, my DC's have been most reliable and comfortable.

I don't fly enough at the moment to warrant spending money on a Lightspeed or Bose, however once I finish grad school and go after my instrument ticket, I will invest in a high end headset.

First, if it isn't ANR, don't even bother unless you don't mind having your hearing as damaged as mine is when you get to be my age (and I wish I'd had the choice 40 years ago). Second, what's comfortable on someone else may not be comfortable on you, and it's your head which will be clamped between those earcups for the next ten years -- so try (and preferably fly) before you buy.

Telex makes an anr headset in your price range.i would also recommend going to a major air show and try them out. There are some good deals to be had at the shows.

JB,

Why don't you let us know where you are? There may be some of us near you who could let you borrow a headset for a day or two to try out.

If you're in the DC metro area, I can let you try out a pair of DC 13-10s (non ANR) and a pair of Lightspeed 20XLs (if you like the lightspeeds you can be reasonably certain that a newer model will fit too).

I use the Quiet Technologies Halo and couldn't be happier. They're in-ear, non-ANR, but my understanding is that they approach the noise reduction of ANR. Before that I used David Clarks and found the head clamping headache-inducing.

The QT Halos are in your price range.

I use the Quiet Technologies Halo and couldn't be happier. They're in-ear, non-ANR, but my understanding is that they approach the noise reduction of ANR. Before that I used David Clarks and found the head clamping headache-inducing.

The QT Halos are in your price range.
With the Flightcom ANRs in my Fly Baby, the perceived noise level is about the same with ANR turned off and foam earplugs inserted, as it is with earplugs out and ANR turned on. So I figure the Halo should work pretty well. Pity it can't be worn under a helmet.

Ron Wanttaja

I own two David Clark H10-13.4s and a H10-30. I started flying with the H10-13.4, I think I paid around $150 for each of those headsets, used.

I bought a used pair of Lightspeed 30-3G's. Lightyears better than the David Clarks as far as noise goes. Build quality was not as good. Traded in the 30-3G's for a pair of new Zulu.2's. Utilizing the trade-up program, I basically paid around $750 all-in for a new pair of Zulu.2's in early 2012. No regrets.

I tried the new Zulu PFX, Bose A20, and Sennheiser S1 at Oshkosh. Kinda wish I had the Zulu PFX but another $1195 to spend seems steep. I would not trade-in my Zulu.2's because I'd relegate that to passenger use....

$8-900 for a pair of headsets seems kinda steep, but in the big picture of flying, it's probably not.

$400 is a lot of money to spend on quite frankly, *****ty David Clark type passive headsets. Try the Bose A20 or the Zulu.2 or the Sennheiser S1 and buy one of those. If not, look around on airport bulletin boards and Ebay for a set of used David Clark H10-13.4's under $200. $150 or less for David Clarks would be ideal. Lightspeed will pay you $200 trade-up credit for them when you're ready to spend the money.

I personally think the old Bose X earcups are too small. If I was shopping over again, I think the Sennheisers are slightly better than the Zulu.2's mainly because they have the best passive hearing protection; but the PFX are better again than the Sennheiser.

Oh yeah, I got the Oregon Aero hush kit for one of my H10-13.4's. This included new earcup insulation and new ear seals. It did... nothing, it was a total waste of money. Skip.

It was however pretty appalling how little foam insulation was in the David Clark earcups from the factory though. Those headsets are noticably quieter if I take my hands and cup over the plastic earcup. Of course it's not practical to fly like that but it shows how much just a little more improvement they could achieve.

I tried those mini ear cup ANR DC headsets at Oshkosh and was completely puzzled why anybody would want those.

Frankly I think if it wasn't for military contracts, David Clark would be outta business.

I use Zulu 2 and bought my son a set as well. Pricey but good.

This is what I use in my plane.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/denalid50anr.php
I first bought the passive model ($300) and liked them so much that I ordered the ANR version ($400) and use my passive ones for backup and passengers. There is also an ANR bluetooth version too. What I like about them:
1) Very light weight and comfortable. I love the way they fit my head. They don't have the clamping sensation the David Clarks have.
2) They come in a nice form fitting case that provides great protection for them.
3) Fairly priced. Very good quality for the money.
As others have said it would be good to try before you buy, but at this price they are pretty awesome.
I've used the Bose headsets before in my friends plane. While they are nice headsets, I'm not going to waste my money on them when these do a comperable job for less than half the money.

Last edited:
JB,

Why don't you let us know where you are? There may be some of us near you who could let you borrow a headset for a day or two to try out.

If you're in the DC metro area, I can let you try out a pair of DC 13-10s (non ANR) and a pair of Lightspeed 20XLs (if you like the lightspeeds you can be reasonably certain that a newer model will fit too).

I really appreciate the offer but I'm in NY.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I guess I have a lot of homework to do. Is there something you can recommend for training that I could use in the meantime and later give a passenger when I get something more expensive?

Another vote on the Quietech Halos. I've used them for about 200 over the past year and a half. During that time I've tried Bose X among others and the Halos are by far the best. They're extremely comfortable, no more sweaty ears and they very quiet. The owner and guy who runs Quiet Tech is super nice. It's just him and his wife running the company. And he owns a vintage Mooney. That sealed the deal for me!:D

I really appreciate the offer but I'm in NY.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I guess I have a lot of homework to do. Is there something you can recommend for training that I could use in the meantime and later give a passenger when I get something more expensive?

I started with a DC10-13 for training, and it was both rugged and adequate. Now it's the "fourth" headset after three different lightspeeds.

Will your FBO rent you a headset? Ours charges $5.00 per flight.

Quiet Technologies Halo. Done.

If you don't mind ear plugs these are awesome. Search around here and you'll see they are very well liked...and a fraction of the cost of an ANR set. I switched from a pair of Zulu 2's to these things...

I started with a DC10-13 for training, and it was both rugged and adequate. Now it's the "fourth" headset after three different lightspeeds.

Will your FBO rent you a headset? Ours charges $5.00 per flight.

They have loaners for free and they are all terrible. I bought a set of SoftComs from a friend for $50 but the cord is bad and the headset cuts in and out.

i'd go with a david clark. my dad lets me use his from the 80's and its worked fine. its the only headset ive used

That's very tempting. You really like them that much eh?

Oh, totally. I used David Clark H10-13.4 for the first year and a half of flying. They were good and everything, but I hated the sweaty ears. I then bought a pair of the Bose X. They were much quieter than the DC, but the ear seals were uncomfortable for me. When I went to Oshkosh last year, I finally got to try the Halos and loved them right from the get go. I even tried the Clarity Aloft headset, but I thought the Halos sounded better in the sound demo, they were less expensive and the Halo guy was MUCH more down to earth than the Clarity sales people.

The in ear plugs have never bothered me at all. The only drawback to this headset is that you forget that you're wearing it and will try to get out of the plane with it still on your head. LOL

Hey Guys,

http://www.marvgolden.com/mg-anr-headset.html

I bought one of these a couple years ago as my first foray into ANR and have really liked it, low price and good performance mean great value.

'Gimp

Quiet Technologies Halo. It's quieter for my ears than Bose A20s, and by far the most comfortable and best sound quality.

i'd go with a david clark. my dad lets me use his from the 80's and its worked fine. its the only headset ive used

A lot has changed in headsets in the past 5 years... nevermind the last 30. I wouldn't go with DC's personally.

A lot has changed in headsets in the past 5 years... nevermind the last 30. I wouldn't go with DC's personally.
ive never really cared what headset ive used as long as its works. no need for a 1000 dollar zulu lightspeed for me! why is it you won't use DC if you don't mind me asking?

why is it you won't use DC if you don't mind me asking?

The noise attenuation on the DC's is inadequate and I logged over 8 hours in a day once--my ears were killing me by the end of the day. That's when I upgraded to better headsets.

$1000 is a lot of money at face value but in the big scheme of flying airplanes, it's pretty much peanuts. I'm certainly not rich and I don't consider the high end ANR headsets cheap, but they are certainly worth it in my book.

I've flown with the following headsets in diverse several airplanes from a 152 to a DHC-2 so I feel like I have a pretty good basis for comparison.

DC H10-13.4
DC H10-30
Lightspeed 30-3G
Lightspeed Zulu.2
Bose X
Bose A20
Telex passive
Softcomm passive

I've also test driven all the major brands of headsets at Oshkosh.

Hi,

I have posted a few reviews pilotheadsethq(dot)com. You are more than welcome to check them out. If there is anything you care to comment on after the review, please feel free to do so.

BluBaron.

I can't recommend a model, but I can recommend a brand.

I had a microphone fail on a David Clark headset that was five years beyond the written five year warranty. I shipped it off to DC with a letter asking for an estimate of the repair cost before they took any action. They didn't respond to the letter, I got the headset back about a week later. They had replaced the microphone as well as the ear pads (which I hadn't mentioned and didn't think needed replacement) and shipped it back to me, no charge.

A couple years after that I needed another headset, so I bought another David Clark. I didn't even consider another brand. If I ever need another headset it will be a David Clark.

David Clark did the same for me, except I took mine back to the dealer who sold them to me, Marve Golden Pilot Supply next to KMYF. Marve shipped them back and called me when they arrived repaired. Marve did not charge me, nor did DC.

-John

Back