Can someone assist me in picking out a headset?

I normally use my David Clark H10-13.4, and so have have had excellent results. I use ASA H-1 sets for my passengers. Some people complain that these are too tight, but quality seems ok, and they can be found new for $100.

Apparently, opinions about headsets are like, well, opinions. I have not, and would not, spend $1,000 or anywhere near that on something because someone else likes it. If you stick with flying, you'll wind up owning a few headsets, so why start with the most expensive? Check out eBay. I recently picked up a new DC with ANR for less than $300. Sometimes you can find the helo versions cheaper and they will work with a $40 adapter. Don't be afraid of used, either. Just keep your eyes peeled for deals.

I had a DC H10-13X ANR headset. It was heavy, uncomfortable, and the noise reduction wasn't all that good. It was a quality headset overall though.

I tried an A20 headset at Oshkosh and ended up with one shortly thereafter. It was much more comfortable, 1/4 pound lighter and the noise cancellation was much better. Add in the bluetooth(which by the way is a nice backup possibility if you have a radio failure) and the aux input, and it was a no brainer for me. Expensive yeah, but I'll have and use it for many years.

+1 for the QT Halo!

Same for me: QT Halo are worth the investment.

I flew many years using passive, cheap or second hand headsets ("let's save money for more hours"). Getting older, I decided to upgrade for ANR and used a Dre6001 during a few months: a great improvement but I wasn't so comfortable with the strong clamping effect.

After some searches over the web, I bought the QT Halo as a lightweight and small volume headset I could take with me on holidays to save space in the family suitcase. Since then, I have used them for long flights (3 hours, pit stop, 3 hours) without having any comfort problem. You forget you wear them. I prefer them over any other system I have tried (no experience about high end Bose or Lightspeed)

For those who aren't at ease with in-ear headsets, I can recommend the couple Bose QC15/Uflymike. They are light, great quality, top comfort but a bit less efficient than Halo's in terms of noise filtering. One big advantage is the possibility to use the QC15 as music headsets when not piloting (use them every time when flying airlines and they age well)

I have a aviation headset for sale.
What I have is :

Peltor Aviation headset Cirrus model: 8007
These are in very good condition.

I got them at an estate sale and have no use for them since I am not a pilot.

I am asking $100.00

You can call/text: 402-813-7820

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I'm still in training but I think it's time to buy a headset. The loaner headsets at my school barely work and make ATC communication difficult at times :eek:.

I'd love a $1000 Bose headset but that is out of my price range. I'm more in the $400 price range. I'd appreciate recommendations of what to buy and where to buy it.

I'd also love something with active noise reduction and aux audio or bluetooth hookup.

Clarity Aloft or the Quiet Technologies Halo.

I've used dave clark 10-13s since they came out. Plenty good for recreational flying, very clear, very comfortable. Never a problem with them.

Quiet Technologies Halo. Love the light weight, cool in the summer and the sound quality is very nice. Now if I could just keep up with the extra ear buds!!

The customer service is terrific too. Speaking directly to the owner these days is pretty rare. If you have the opportunity to visit their booth at Oshkosh I would encourage it. Trying them on really made me a believer.

Quiet Technologies Halo. Love the light weight, cool in the summer and the sound quality is very nice. Now if I could just keep up with the extra ear buds!!

The customer service is terrific too. Speaking directly to the owner these days is pretty rare. If you have the opportunity to visit their booth at Oshkosh I would encourage it. Trying them on really made me a believer.

Clarity Aloft used to keep me supplied at OSH and S-n-F with earbuds.

Back