Can I get Basic Med if I have a paper copy of my 3rd class medical from 2007

Crashnburn

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Crashnburn
but the FAA has no record of it?
It does have a record of my 2001 3rd class medical, but that's too old for Basic Med.

I was referred here by PalmPilot.

My newer 3rd class form shows the AME who did the exam, and his address. Unfortunately, he's no longer available to be contacted.

I put my newer medical certificate number into IACRA, but they changed it to my older certificate number.

There's a long discussion of what's possible here: Finally restarted my flying lessons. | Pilots of America.

The only issue I might have getting my 3rd class is Sleep Apnea. I was marginal on the low end when I was 40 pounds heavier and recovering from sleep deprivation. I tried a week without CPAP recently and noticed no differences. I have a sleep test scheduled the end of this month. Assuming I no longer have SA, I'll get the Dr. to write a letter saying I no longer have it, and if I have to take my 3rd class again, I'll be good.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

You can call the FAA in Oklahoma City to verify the date of your last medical. The number is (405) 954-482. IACRA has nothing to do with medical certificates. So long as you held a medical certificate after July, 2006 and it was not revoked, denied or suspended, you should be good for BasicMed.

What was wrong with my response to your question in my post here and here on the other thread?

Sleep apnea does not fall under one of the medical conditions in 14 CFR 68.9 that require a one-time special issuance.

What was wrong with my response to your question in my post here and here on the other thread?

Sleep apnea does not fall under one of the medical conditions in 14 CFR 68.9 that require a one-time special issuance.
I'm guessing that he hasn't figured out who the reliable sources are here.

Last edited:
How do you know that? It seems unlikely you would have an at some time valid third-class certificate the FAA didn't know about. Whom did you contact at the FAA? IACRA has nothing to do with medical certificates. Did you ask these folks?
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/media/MedicalRecordsRequestForm.pdf
No, I haven't. Thanks for the link. I will submit a request for my Medical Records.

Every time I've called the FAA Aeromedical office they have been overwhelmed and hung up on me without a chance to leave a message. I've done a search on the site for my certificate number and came up empty. Let's hope the Medical Record Request is more fruitful.

I had this happen to me once. I had my paper medical certificate, but apparently the records never got to the FAA. I discovered this only as I was filling in the paperwork for my next medical several years later. I called the FAA and they said I should contact the AME and get the record sorted out, even if it is in the past. The AME had retired by then, but luckily the office was able to track down my records, so they were able to send it to the FAA and it showed up right away.

If you have a paper copy of the 2007 medical, then why not just get Basic Med at this time? I'm not sure the Basic Med system has a way of blocking you from getting it - that is, I don't believe it checks to see when your last 3rd class medical was.

If someone / some agency asks in the future for some reason, you have all the evidence (3rd class paper copy) you need.

If you have a paper copy of the 2007 medical, then why not just get Basic Med at this time? I'm not sure the Basic Med system has a way of blocking you from getting it - that is, I don't believe it checks to see when your last 3rd class medical was.

If someone / some agency asks in the future for some reason, you have all the evidence (3rd class paper copy) you need.

If for some reason the airman registry doesn't have evidence of a previous medical it will automatically send out a "you might not qualify for BasicMed " letter. That doesn't mean you don't qualify, but it means their records think you don't qualify. That could be due to an internal issue, a processing issue by the AME, or some subsequent action that took place after the fact.

If for some reason the airman registry doesn't have evidence of a previous medical it will automatically send out a "you might not qualify for BasicMed " letter. That doesn't mean you don't qualify, but it means their records think you don't qualify. That could be due to an internal issue, a processing issue by the AME, or some subsequent action that took place after the fact.

Brad, does that letter provide instructions about how to proceed if you think the letter is in error?

Brad, does that letter provide instructions about how to proceed if you think the letter is in error?

No. I got one and ignored it. It was of the "remember to qualify for Basic Med you must have had at least a Class III". Note that I only got it when I did the 2 year coursework for basic Med and not when I did it initially so them having screwed up my class III doesn't surprise me. If they want to see it all they have to do is ask.

Yes, it has the contact information for the Airman Certification Branch.

A good first step is to request the medical records as mentioned above to confirm the medical is in the FAAs system. After that contact airman registry and find out why it's not showing in their system. Usually those two systems talk to each other well, so there may be an issue on medical's side. I've noticed that they've been very difficult to get a hold of anyone by phone.

Brad, I go through that interface EVERY AM. the trick is TO DIAL in at 07:59:51 and be among the first three in queue. They have warned the AMEs that they are short staffed.

SHORTAGE. it’s EVERYWHERE.

Last edited:
If it not showing your airman data, contact them. You have a copy of it, it just never got input into the system.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back