Can Anyone Answer Rookie 430W Elementary Questions?

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
I am probably a week or two from taking delivery of my new(to me) Mooney. It has a 430W.

I have been looking at a few introductory videos. I currently use Foreflight. Is there a software product that will put together an instrument flight plan AND build a file to download waypoints into the 430 to prevent the need to manually enter the waypoints into the 430?

Any comments and suggestions for a 430 rookie are welcome and appreciated.

It's hardware, check out Garmin flightstream. There are two models...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to youtube. Many on the GNS series (all the same buttons) and also download the simulator (again, GNS series and you tell it the actual unit).

Come back with specific questions when you're ready. It's a solid unit.

I am probably a week or two from taking delivery of my new(to me) Mooney. It has a 430W.

I have been looking at a few introductory videos. I currently use Foreflight. Is there a software product that will put together an instrument flight plan AND build a file to download waypoints into the 430 to prevent the need to manually enter the waypoints into the 430?

Pretty sure FS210 wired to the 430w, then either garmin pilot or foreflight

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/153681

With the wireless mobility supported by your Flight Stream 210, you’ll enjoy more freedom and flexibility in everything from preflight preparations to inflight cockpit management. For example, instead of sitting in a too hot or too cold aircraft to manually enter all flight plan and waypoint information into your GTN or GNS prior to takeoff, simply use the flight plan that you’ve already created and filed during your pre-flight planning using Garmin Pilot – whenever and wherever it’s convenient – and then wirelessly upload it all to your avionics within moments of arriving at the flight line. You save time. You stay comfortable. And you get airborne more quickly, thanks to the upload-and-go convenience of your Flight Stream wireless link.

All great, assuming you're cleared to fly as filed...

Instead of buying more weight and complication, just spend a little time with the 430 and get to know it, putting in waypoints shouldn't take you enough time that it's a big deal, also if you're brining them in from foreflight make sure you have foreflight set to only show waypoints on "bends" save you from unneeded work.

Flown out of some of the busiest airspace on earth, complete with SIDs, STARs etc, it's really not a issue to program the box once you're familiar.

I read the flightstream description in Aircraft Spruce and it does support the 430W. That said, you guys have offered great comments. I am probably putting the cart in front of the horse. As suggested I will learn the 430 first. I am just getting excited about the new toy and all the new toys WITHIN the new toy.:)

I think that entering the waypoints manually in the beginning is the right thing to do even if I automate the process later. Learning any manual process well before automating it is the best way to implement and learn such a process. (I am retired now, but spent many years in the automation industry.)

Additionally, I have six years of experience and familiarity with Foreflight. If I have to go to Garmin Pilot to have this functionality, I would have to start over on the familiarity journey. I am sure that Garmin Pilot is a great application, but familiarity is important.

Foreflight now works with the FS210 I do believe.

I am as Inspector Gadget as they come and looked at adding it...but determined it was not really worth it on a 430W unless I was ripping my panel apart already doing something else considering how easily the 430 really is to button push. If I was flying hard IFR day in and day out, maybe.

I also view the 430 as my primary navigation device...then the iPad as the aid to situation awareness as it should be. As soon as you start blurring that line it can be real easy to become too dependent on it as evident by the countless threads arguing pro/con of gadget technology.

I just bought a Tiger with the 430W, which is quite unfamiliar to me. Lucky me, it also came with the FS210, and I've found setting up flight plans on the iPad, then just pushing them to the 430, is easy-peasy. I'll ultimately learn all the tricks that the 430 can do, but having the 210 already installed made for much less time futzing around on the ground initially, when what I wanted to be doing was flying.

For some "how to" books, Look into www.avionicswest.com His was one of the best for the CNX80/GNS480. So I hope his 430/530 book would have the same value for you.

I just bought a Tiger with the 430W, which is quite unfamiliar to me. Lucky me, it also came with the FS210, and I've found setting up flight plans on the iPad, then just pushing them to the 430, is easy-peasy. I'll ultimately learn all the tricks that the 430 can do, but having the 210 already installed made for much less time futzing around on the ground initially, when what I wanted to be doing was flying.
Talk to @Scott@KTYR about how is using a similar setup during flight. During our Tyler fly in, he was explaining the utility of "rubberbanding" during flight around a thunderstorm, pushing the new plan to the navigator, and once accepted, the autopilot smoothly executed.

No autopilot on this bird. Not even a wing leveler. Buying it on a leap of faith, hoping that I can hand fly it as well as the little taildragger.

BTW, I spend more time in Mount Pleasant than Lamar County these days and my girlfriend loves to fly with me. I hope someone will let me know if there is another flyin to Tyler. We would enjoy it.

Another vote for using the free Garmin 430W simulator on a laptop as a learning aid. I found it a great place to start, sitting in the comfort of my easy chair at home with the operating manual in hand.
Everyone has different preferences to learn something new, but after a couple of false stars with other online tools I found the simulator worked best for me.

THis.....you'll have to manually enter the flight plan for the 430W.

Garmin's website says it's Flightstream 210 will synch flight plans with the GNS WAAS navigators. I'm looking at installing one for my 530/430 combo

If you fly to Tyler I would be happy to show you how ForeFlight Flightstream 210 and Gramin 530 work together during flight planning. It is quick and easy!

Garmin's website says it's Flightstream 210 will synch flight plans with the GNS WAAS navigators. I'm looking at installing one for my 530/430 combo
but....then you're tied to all the other Garmin crap. :D

Foreflight works with Flight Stream 210 which talks to the GNS 430/530 line so you are not limited to the Garmin EFB.
Oh....and that too. It doesn't like my WingX and my Skyradar box. :eek:

Oh....and that too. It doesn't like my WingX and my Skyradar box. :eek:

OP uses foreflight and wants to use it to send to/from 430W. Flightstream 210 does that beautifully. You can hate on garmin / foreflight or whoever you'd like... but you were still wrong. Lol

BTW anybody care to share install costs for the FS210? I've got a 530w and have been wanting to get the flightstream. One shop quoted me $1,000 for the unit and $1,000 for the install. I get the impression from some that the install is very easy and that $1,000 is on the high side.

Full disclosure ....I own Garmin crap. Got the 530W and it does fine. I just don't like being boxed into a one brand system. If I can get
A good deal on a 345 or an330ES those are on my ADSB wish list ...along with a KT74. Competition is a good thing.
OP uses foreflight and wants to use it to send to/from 430W. Flightstream 210 does that beautifully. You can hate on garmin / foreflight or whoever you'd like... but you were still wrong. Lol

I think a lot of water will go under the bridge before 2020. At this point though, my thinking is that if I made a change today, I would put a KT74 in place of the KT 76A for ADS-B out and add the Flightstream. Where do you stop though? If I did that I would want to add a Stratus for full function ADS-B IN to go with it. All that would probably involve about 4 AMU's or more.

Another thing thing yet to be determined in the Mooney is IPad placement. I simply set it in my lap in the Piggy and it works great. I will have to see how that works out in the Mooney. I think there will be more options for IPad mounting in the Mooney.

I fly an M20E with 530, iPad and Stratus. I mount the iPad on THE OTHER yoke. That's a really good spot to look at iPad and the avi stack. It's not in the passengers way either.

I've never even thought about squirting the gps from the tablet. That would be clutch when clearance delivery reads me some wacky stuff and then I spend ten minutes hand jamming it into the gps.

Here is a video that gives some great info.

BTW anybody care to share install costs for the FS210? I've got a 530w and have been wanting to get the flightstream. One shop quoted me $1,000 for the unit and $1,000 for the install. I get the impression from some that the install is very easy and that $1,000 is on the high side.

$1000 for the install labor isn't just high, it's obscene. I'm looking at the invoice for our FS210 install (wired to a 430W). We were charged $925 for the part and 2 hours of labor for the install ($160). There's very little to hook up. 4 mounting screws, power, ground and then drop a couple of pins into the existing 430W connector. An experienced shop should be able to install on in 2-3 hours, unless your 430 is horribly inaccessible, etc.

Last edited:
$1000 for the install labor isn't just high, it's obscene. I'm looking at the invoice for our FS210 install (wired to a 430W). We were charged $925 for the part and 2 hours of labor for the install ($160). There's very little to hook up. 4 mounting screws, power, ground and then drop a couple of pints into the existing 430W connector. An experienced shop should be able to install on in 2-3 hours, unless your 430 is horribly inaccessible, etc.

Thanks Brad! That's the kind of info I was looking for. I'm in northeast Arkansas. I think I need to reach out and look at some other shops within the region. Between the FS210 and transponder upgrade it would be worth my time to consider alternatives. I just sent a quote request to Carpenter Avionics in Smyrna, TN. I will be going there pretty soon for some work related CE so it might be pretty convenient.

Back