Can anybody help with buddy pass?

Natasha910

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Natasha
Hi guys,trying to find some good people on here who can help me with a fly. I live in the USA by myself and my family is overseas ,air tickets are crazy expensive to overseas 1,5-2k in advance.I really wanna see my family more often but I can't afford to buy very expensive tickets and paying my bills same time. I heard about buddy pass system was wondering if somebody can give the buddy pass ,some people just don't use &waste them.i pay fee if i need to and im flexible with my time and don't mind to spend sometime at airports. I would really appreciate if somebody can help . U can msg me on forum or via Facebook (info on my profile)

Last edited:
Hmmm. Yummy.

I have no clue what a "buddy pass" system is though.

Hmmm. Yummy.

I have no clue what a "buddy pass" system is though.

It might be a frequent flyer buddy pass. You get them when you reach a certain level on some airlines. I don't think they are transferrable, though. Basically you can bring your friend/wife/SO along with you on your trips, so you would have to be going to the same place.

it's a benefit that airline employees get that allow friends to fly for the same discounted rate that they get. It's a very good benefit.

Depending on the airline, you're probably going to have a hard time. My United pilot friends who used to offer buddy passes to me in the past say they only give them now to people they don't like.

You are absolutely the lowest boarding priority on a buddy pass. Yep, you don't give them to friends.

it's a benefit that airline employees get that allow friends to fly for the same discounted rate that they get. It's a very good benefit.

It USED to be a good benefit. In my world, a buddy pass costs significantly more than what I would travel for. In some cases, an advanced purchase ticket costs less. I only give them out after I explain all of the hazards and pitfalls of space available travel.

Come to think of it, "free" travel for the employees USED to be a good benefit. Nowadays, there is no guarantee that a nonrev will get on the airplane at any given time, and sometimes it would be days.

Some benefit. :mad:

Giving out a buddy pass,means you are responsible for the person using the pass. With the way they are filling flights ,not that great a deal.

You are absolutely the lowest boarding priority on a buddy pass. Yep, you don't give them to friends.

I know this "free" benefit is not that great but as I said I'm flexible and ready to get stuck at airports.i use to have a friend in NYC he used buddy pass for flights and was happy with it.

Some carriers have terminated "buddy pass" benefits entirely, because of apparent abuse.

with airlines overbooking so many flights, you're right. several years ago, my neighbor got buddy passes from his brother. they had to wait for 3 flights before an opening was available. He also had to go on a later flight from his wife and son b/c there werent enough seats available. he said it wasn't worth it.

Please note it is not free. All taxes are due, and I think it is taxed as compensation as well. When I got a buddy pass to Hawaii, it saved me tens of dollars, not hundreds, and had me frequently stranded.

TANSTAAFL? Or rather, TANSTAAFBP?

TANSTAAFL? Or rather, TANSTAAFBP?

Contrary to libertarian philosophy, there is such a thing as a free lunch,” Nader teased, inviting Norquist to stay and eat after their joint appearance at the Carnegie Institution.
Norquist accepted. “It’s not free,” he said. “It’s just somebody else paid for it.

I just read that this morning and thought it was appropriate.

http://www.wacotrib.com/opinion/col...cle_906bcc86-eb19-50fc-ae61-3d4a12c283a6.html

It USED to be a good benefit. In my world, a buddy pass costs significantly more than what I would travel for. In some cases, an advanced purchase ticket costs less. I only give them out after I explain all of the hazards and pitfalls of space available travel.

Come to think of it, "free" travel for the employees USED to be a good benefit. Nowadays, there is no guarantee that a nonrev will get on the airplane at any given time, and sometimes it would be days.

Some benefit. :mad:

I guess it's all in how it works out. I traveled from Baltimore to Paris last fall on a buddy pass. It cost me ~600.00 and that included the upcharge for first class on the flight back. It was touch and go on the flights but I got on all my booked flights.

I have been flying non-rev since childhood, as my father is a now retired airline pilot. Flying standby isn't for everyone, but I am so used to it and I like the flexibility. If the flights are full, then time and destination must be flexible. Flying to/from Europe can get creative, and I often go to less crowded airports, like Brussels, Duesseldorf, or maybe Stuttgart.

OP, sorry I don't have any buddy passes for you.

To the OP, forget the buddy pass. You're much better off buying a ticket. It costs the same or less and it's a confirmed seat...unless you're bumped.

If buddy passes are anything like jumpseating (and it sounds like they are) just buy a ticket. Seriously.

To the OP, forget the buddy pass. You're much better off buying a ticket. It costs the same or less and it's a confirmed seat...unless you're bumped.
:yes:. My dad works for the airlines and before he gives out his buddy passes, he usually tells them to check out Priceline or other ticket comparison websites first. It will probably be better to pay for a confirmed seat even if it is more expensive. Also depends when you are traveling. If you can, try to go on an "off" day like Tuesday or Wednesday as those days are usually less full. If there are multiple flights, take the first one out just in case the later ones fill up.

Like others have said, just buy a ticket. With loads being what they are, it's usually far more hassle free.

Also, when you travel on a buddy pass, you do so as a representative of the employee. Most won't give out passes to random people for just this reason.

How do "commuting" pilots ever get to work using this system? Sounds like they run a high risk of not making it to their base on time (or at all).

What does the airline do in situations like that?

How do "commuting" pilots ever get to work using this system? Sounds like they run a high risk of not making it to their base on time (or at all).

Most employees don't. Pilots and FA's are the ones who mostly commute and they have the benefit of having dedicated jumpseats that they can occupy. Pilots have the best deal as they can jumpseat off line, meaning most any airline. Even FedEx and UPS have jumpseats available, however they are seldom used as you then have to fly on their schedule...ie, middle of the night. (However I hear FedEx has an awesome crewroom in Memphis for you to wait while they do the sort)

Anyway, having jumpseats available that regular non-revs and buddy passes aren't eligible for is what makes commuting possible. With that said, those jumpseat tend to fill up anyway with pilots and some guys get huffy about it. Seniority gets checked and so forth. Point is you can easily miss your ride and have to go find another. Commuting basically sux. But then, living in domicile can blow too so it's sort of a personal thing.

Funny jumpseat story. Read if you like:

I had left the airline and started to work for a fractional. This was back when 91K was pretty new. I was standing in uniform at the gate with a company paid ticket waiting for them to board. A few United pilots were milling around the CSR desk and I could see they were deciding who was going to get to go as it was a full flight.

After some time a grey haired United Captain comes over and tells me it doesn't look good for me. There's only two jumpseats and he and the other guy are going to take them. They're just waiting to see if their third guy is going to get on.

I thought I'd have a little fun so I just said, 'it's okay, it is what it is' and left it at that.

When boarding started they called my zone and I grabbed my stuff. My new friend was not happy and ran up barking at the CSR about how there was a line and I was OFF LINE! Why am I boarding???

She just looked at him and said, 'Captain, because he has a ticket.'

I smiled and went on my way. One of the few perks of flying fractional I guess.

Most airlines have a 'commuter clause', in which the pilot has to give him/herself a certain number of options (in my case it's two) to get to work on time. If you follow the clause and it still doesn't work out, no harm no foul, and a reserve pilot is called to fly the trip. Different airlines have different policies here, though - and a prudent pilot will take a good look at all available options and give themselves plenty of time.

Also understand that a pilot has the option of using the cockpit jumpseat if the cabin is full, which helps too.

That said, commuting as a pilot is typically stressful and a PITA, and living in base is a thousand times better, IMO. Unfortunately airlines close bases and shift flying all the time, so sometimes commuting ends up being a better solution than pulling the kids out of school, etc...

Last edited:
Most airlines have a 'commuter clause', in which the pilot has to give him/herself a certain number of options (in my case it's two) to get to work on time. If you follow the clause and it still doesn't work out, no harm no foul, and a reserve pilot is called to fly the trip. Different airlines have different policies here, though - and a prudent pilot will take a good look at all available options and give themselves plenty of time.

Also understand that a pilot has the option of using the cockpit jumpseat if the cabin is full, which helps too.

That said, commuting as a pilot is typically stressful and a PITA, and living in base is a thousand times better, IMO. Unfortunately airlines close bases and shift flying all the time, so sometimes commuting ends up being a better solution than pulling the kids out of school, etc...
I think commuting is not as bad as people make it out to be. When my dad was flying the DC-9 out of DTW for Northwest he never had any problems getting to work and he's told me he never missed his flight due to commuting. Also when he was an instructor on the 9 he had to go to MSP to the simulator facilities and he had not problems. Although it did take a lot more time and effort to get to work, he said it was never really an issue. He's now based in JFK which works out because we live on LI

I think commuting is not as bad as people make it out to be. When my dad was flying the DC-9 out of DTW for Northwest he never had any problems getting to work and he's told me he never missed his flight due to commuting. Also when he was an instructor on the 9 he had to go to MSP to the simulator facilities and he had not problems. Although it did take a lot more time and effort to get to work, he said it was never really an issue. He's now based in JFK which works out because we live on LI

Sorry, but when I read your post all I can see is your dad commuted when there was an airline called NorthWest and DC-9s were used to fly people, so commuting isn't that bad.

Commuting has always been a pain in the rear. But take away the empty seats and commuting becomes much worse. I used to ride in first class half the time. No days it's pretty rare for any jump seater, especially off line. And never mind first class...just getting on is difficult.

In twenty years it's never really been a problem - an adventure sometimes but never a problem !

In 25 years, I have missed my assigned trip once, was late for a check in once and came close to missing check in several times.

All part of the game. As long as one abides by the rules set forth by the company . . .

Sorry, but when I read your post all I can see is your dad commuted when there was an airline called NorthWest and DC-9s were used to fly people, so commuting isn't that bad.

Commuting has always been a pain in the rear. But take away the empty seats and commuting becomes much worse. I used to ride in first class half the time. No days it's pretty rare for any jump seater, especially off line. And never mind first class...just getting on is difficult.
I guess its all about planning ahead. If the pilot decides to take the last flight possible to make his check in time then that's poor planning on his part. Same thing goes for non-rev traveling. You have to plan ahead, be flexible, and expect things to happen.

I guess its all about planning ahead. If the pilot decides to take the last flight possible to make his check in time then that's poor planning on his part. Same thing goes for non-rev traveling. You have to plan ahead, be flexible, and expect things to happen.

And the prudent pilot does just that.

And for what it is worth, what you described in your previous post was indicative of the way things USED to be. Not so much anymore. While the rules are the same, the landscape in which those rules are applied has vastly changed.

Most employees don't. Pilots and FA's are the ones who mostly commute and they have the benefit of having dedicated jumpseats that they can occupy. Pilots have the best deal as they can jumpseat off line, meaning most any airline. Even FedEx and UPS have jumpseats available, however they are seldom used as you then have to fly on their schedule...ie, middle of the night. (However I hear FedEx has an awesome crewroom in Memphis for you to wait while they do the sort)

Anyway, having jumpseats available that regular non-revs and buddy passes aren't eligible for is what makes commuting possible. With that said, those jumpseat tend to fill up anyway with pilots and some guys get huffy about it. Seniority gets checked and so forth. Point is you can easily miss your ride and have to go find another. Commuting basically sux. But then, living in domicile can blow too so it's sort of a personal thing.

Funny jumpseat story. Read if you like:

I had left the airline and started to work for a fractional. This was back when 91K was pretty new. I was standing in uniform at the gate with a company paid ticket waiting for them to board. A few United pilots were milling around the CSR desk and I could see they were deciding who was going to get to go as it was a full flight.

After some time a grey haired United Captain comes over and tells me it doesn't look good for me. There's only two jumpseats and he and the other guy are going to take them. They're just waiting to see if their third guy is going to get on.

I thought I'd have a little fun so I just said, 'it's okay, it is what it is' and left it at that.

When boarding started they called my zone and I grabbed my stuff. My new friend was not happy and ran up barking at the CSR about how there was a line and I was OFF LINE! Why am I boarding???

She just looked at him and said, 'Captain, because he has a ticket.'

I smiled and went on my way. One of the few perks of flying fractional I guess.

My Uncle (now retired UA) tells the story about how he was flying fractional, on his way home, out of uniform, seated near the back.
The pilot for that flight was stranded somewhere due to wx, My uncle being the only available, pilot rated to fly that particular airplane, was approached by the FA. (plane had already boarded, and ready to push back) FA explained to him what was going on, and that UA said he was to take over the flight. So he excitedly,(and loudly) say's "Sure! I've allways wanted to fly one of these things!! Show me the front!!" and heads toward the cockpit. The flight was uneventful, and they made it on schedule. But I imagine it seemed kinda strange that the capt. was not wearing a uniform, as he greeted the passengers when they disembarked.

My Uncle (now retired UA) tells the story about how he was flying fractional, on his way home, out of uniform, seated near the back.
The pilot for that flight was stranded somewhere due to wx, My uncle being the only available, pilot rated to fly that particular airplane, was approached by the FA. (plane had already boarded, and ready to push back) FA explained to him what was going on, and that UA said he was to take over the flight. So he excitedly,(and loudly) say's "Sure! I've allways wanted to fly one of these things!! Show me the front!!" and heads toward the cockpit. The flight was uneventful, and they made it on schedule. But I imagine it seemed kinda strange that the capt. was not wearing a uniform, as he greeted the passengers when they disembarked.

There is nothing in that story that rings even remotely true.

Wait, I figured it out. Take the word 'fractional' out of there and it's a UAL Captain going home out of uniform. Scheduled Captain is unavailable and there are no reserves so they ask (via a FA?) if he'll take the flight. His uniform is unavailable for some weird reason.

Screwing with his fellow pax he makes a loud announcement that he's always wanted to fly one of these planes despite being typed and current. He proceeds to the cockpit after going to ops to flight plan and preflight. He then surprises the pax by saying goodbye at the destination in his civilian clothes.

Still pretty far fetched but somewhat plausible back in the day I suppose. Not having access to his uniform is a bit puzzling but, hey, good story.

Actually this did happen to a friend of mine, a now retired Delta captain. He was nonreving with his wife somewhere in civilian clothes and was asked if he would fly the trip because the scheduled captain was not available. This was over 20 years ago and I doubt would happen today.

Back