Can an electric hybrid jet become a reality??

Sure, they could make one. It would be stupid and impractical which would never sell commercially, but they could make one.

An electric jet is really just a big air pump - the tech is trivial. Of course they can build one. The question, as with every electric powered vehicle, becomes the energy density of the battery, or in this case, the power capabilities of the generator.

I don’t know what the weight/power curve looks like here. My sense is that it’s probably a loss of useful load to have engine, generator, fuel and batteries on board and for dubious gain.

Not to mention the inefficient method of burning kerosene to make electricity, then take that and power the engines when you could have avoided the losses and just burned the kerosene in a proper turbine engine to begin with. In applications where weight is of less consideration (ships/locomotives) it works, but aircraft weight is of paramount importance.

It looks like one one of those commenting on the article has outed the Big Oil Monopoly. He must be silenced!

if there was no fossil fuels on the planet electric propulsion would be the main source of transportation, but the oil companys are going to make that reality take a long time. Corruption is alive and thriving in the world.

Sure - heck, you can get a locomotive supersonic, given enough $$$$$. I just don't think anyone will enjoy the ride, or the ticket price.

An electric jet is really just a big air pump - the tech is trivial. Of course they can build one. The question, as with every electric powered vehicle, becomes the energy density of the battery, or in this case, the power capabilities of the generator.

I don’t know what the weight/power curve looks like here. My sense is that it’s probably a loss of useful load to have engine, generator, fuel and batteries on board and for dubious gain.
It works well with RC planes only because you can fill the entire payload section with batteries and people don’t really want to be craning their necks up for more than 15 minutes at a time anyway. In reality it’s a non starter. Total fantasy.

You guys have bought into the hoax, airlines and the oil industry want people to believe oil powers flight to bilk you out of money. This guy has proven that compressed air generates heat and powers jets for FREE! Science.

something that is a reality??
Airbus in general has been very proactive in looking at different angles in aviation whether airplanes or helicopters. However, they're even better at sealing up the patents on these types of "inovations" vs actually bringing them to reality. But I'm sure they would be happy to sell you a license to build an electric jet should you elect to try.

You know it's real serious when "sources that asked to be unnamed" tell you about it.

“if there was no fossil fuels on the planet electric propulsion would be the main source of transportation, but the oil companys are going to make that reality take a long time.Corruption is alive and thriving in the world.”

It’s the oil companies fault that we don’t have more electric propulsion because they keep “making oil”???????
I think it boils down to technology and practicality, both which are not there.

Last edited:
The article doesn't discuss how this 'hybrid engine' will work. Unless they intend on making the prime mover something other than a fuel burning gas turbine, all you're doing is taking a 20% energy loss through the electrical system. Even most modern hybrid cars have a planetary gear type transmission which has the vehicle directly coupled to the gasoline motor during steady highway cruise.

Do they maybe intend on using the electric motors as air brakes in order to recap some energy on descent?

Do they maybe intend on using the electric motors as air brakes in order to recap some energy on descent?
That would be really inefficient. The drag might be justifiable if the airflow over the fan blades wasn't backward. Not much generation is going to happen there.

It looks like one one of those commenting on the article has outed the Big Oil Monopoly. He must be silenced!

if there was no fossil fuels on the planet electric propulsion would be the main source of transportation, but the oil companys are going to make that reality take a long time. Corruption is alive and thriving in the world.

Thank God that electricity grows on trees! In all the history of electricity production by man, never once was a fossil harmed in the making of a watt. :)

That would be really inefficient. The drag might be justifiable if the airflow over the fan blades wasn't backward. Not much generation is going to happen there.

I agree, I'm just curious what their thought process is.

Until they develop an ambient temperature super conductor, fossil fuels will rule.

Back