Can a GA pilot with only PPL agree to ferry some random individual in exchange for sharing costs?

YES! Finally common sense intervenes! Thank you!
Common sense sounds great until something happens that is beyond your control (like a bird strike or other unexpected emergency) and now you are screwed.

Kind of like flying IFR without an instrument rating. Works fine...until it doesn't.

So the real question is 'do you feel lucky?'

PS: If you are doing something stupid, and you do get dead, plan on doing it where you won't kill some poor sap on the ground.
PPS. If you aren't smart enough to figure this stuff out for yourself, please, PLEASE burn your medical and your pilot's license and go find something else to do.

Be careful not to breathe in the fumes when you do... the plastic in your pilot's license contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer.

Maybe. ... Probably not.
I don't know.

Last edited:
When did worry and self-confidence become hazardous attitudes? :confused2:

That is what I was wondering, I believe worrying is a good thing. If the weather isn't good, I'm NOT going...sorry flight delayed! I do believe in my abilities but not to the point where I'm taking on more than I can handle. Maybe explaining this is the macho in me...o_O

Beats me.

Aside from the FAA pretty much making up the anti-authority one (try to find a non-FAA related reference to it), I think the hazardous attitudes are grossly misunderstood. What are hazardous are the extremes as we approach the two ends of a personality continuum. Each of the hazardous attitudes has an equally hazardous opposite.

After all, isn't an overly compliant to authority attitude just as hazardous as an overly anti-authority one?

After all, isn't an overly compliant to authority attitude just as hazardous as an overly anti-authority one?
Good question. How would you come down on this: To escape a nuclear meltdown you aim your car out of town, but the speed limit is 35 mph. Do you comply? The road is filled with others racing away too, so what happens if the increased speed causes a multi-car accident that shuts down the highway? Hmmm.... :confused:

dtuuri

Beats me.

Aside from the FAA pretty much making up the anti-authority one (try to find a non-FAA related reference to it), I think the hazardous attitudes are grossly misunderstood. What are hazardous are the extremes as we approach the two ends of a personality continuum. Each of the hazardous attitudes has an equally hazardous opposite.

Like mentioned that is a good point, I didn't think of it that way at the time. Overly compliant to authority can get pilots in trouble. YOU are pilot in command and there will be times when you have to say "Unable".

Good question. How would you come down on this: To escape a nuclear meltdown you aim your car out of town, but the speed limit is 35 mph. Do you comply? The road is filled with others racing away too, so what happens if the increased speed causes a multi-car accident that shuts down the highway? Hmmm.... :confused:

dtuuri
I wasn't thinking of something that extreme but a scenario that takes place often with consequences ranging from zero to fatality - blindly following ATC instructions. One that comes to mind immediately is the instrument flight with the vacuum failure in which the pilot enters visual conditions, could have flown visually to another airport, but accepts ATC's vectors right back into the clouds. Not being able to say "no" or "unable" displays a couple of things but I'd say one of them is an overly compliant attitude toward authority.

Here are my scores.
I read the first question. Before reading the choices, my answer was, "I have plenty of fuel for the trip and if necessary will divert, land and wait until it clears." But since that doesn't display one of the 5 hazardous attitudes, that type of choice isn't there. Basically, if you didn't make a no fo decision, you must be displaying a hazardous attitude.

So I stopped and scanned the rest. None of them has a choice that does not display a hazardous attitude. According to the test, we all have a serious hazardous attitude problem; it's only going to tell us which one(s) predominate.

Sounds like a pretty bogus test.

That Website's home page lists the five hazardous attitudes from the FAA's Handbook of Aeronautical knowledge, and I noticed that the test not only added a couple of items not on the FAA's list, but it also left out invulnerability.

This is what I scored:

View attachment 54551

Would like to see what the others scored.

I think the macho is a little too high, I'm not like that at all....seriously!

I wouldn't assign too much value to this test...in fact, if you want to see how much BS it is, try putting in "Strongly Disagree" for every answer...you will get the lowest score possible. That means that you must "Strongly Disagree" basically that pre-flights can avoid problems, "Strongly Disagree" with practice, "Strongly Disagree" the FAA is in any way a hindrance, and "Strongly Disagree" that planning helps with a successful flight. That, right there, is complete BS...now watch my "Macho/Anti-authority" score go through the roof! LOL.

I wouldn't assign too much value to this test...in fact, if you want to see how much BS it is, try putting in "Strongly Disagree" for every answer...you will get the lowest score possible. That means that you must "Strongly Disagree" basically that pre-flights can avoid problems, "Strongly Disagree" with practice, "Strongly Disagree" the FAA is in any way a hindrance, and "Strongly Disagree" that planning helps with a successful flight. That, right there, is complete BS...now watch my "Macho/Anti-authority" score go through the roof! LOL.

I'm going to call you Macho Man from now on...lol

macho.jpg

Back