Can a digital version of the AFM replace paper on board?

FlyingMonkey

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingMonkey
I own a Piper Challenger. Want to get that bulky AFM out of the plane. Can I replace the paper AFM on board with a scanned version on 2 iPads in the plane and be legal?

As long as it is readily accessible by the pilot during flight, I don't see a problem. Make sure you have a contingency plan if you crack the screen, run out of batteries, or one of your passengers hurls all over it and the tablet takes a dump on you.

I definitely think having it on pdf on your iPad is the way to go, however I still think having the paper version on board is not a bad idea. I'm sure you can find a place to put it where it is both out of the way but still fairly accessible if needed.

In over 10,000 hours of flying I can count how many times I looked at the AFM in flight on one hand...one hand of my watch. And I was bored that day. Doubt I'd put too much effort into super redundancy.

Just make sure the content is correct for your plane.

I've got a dozen supplements to the non-existant flight manual for my plane. They all live in a binder in the baggage compartment. I really should get digital copies made for the iPad (for those that pdf's don't already exist).

Just make sure the content is correct for your plane.

I've got a dozen supplements to the non-existant flight manual for my plane. They all live in a binder in the baggage compartment. I really should get digital copies made for the iPad (for those that pdf's don't already exist).
That is one of the biggest problems I see with an electronic AFM. Many electronic versions out there are simply a PDF copy that in many cases doesn't reflect changes that the manufacturer has put out.

For example, I have a B55 Baron PDF copy of the POH loaded in ForeFlight, but it does not reflect all the changes in my hard copy POH. Unless the manufacturers start putting out electronic AFMs, I think the only way you could really achieve an accurate electronic document would be to manually scan and PDF your own hard copy.

That is one of the biggest problems I see with an electronic AFM. Many electronic versions out there are simply a PDF copy that in many cases doesn't reflect changes that the manufacturer has put out.

For example, I have a B55 Baron PDF copy of the POH loaded in ForeFlight, but it does not reflect all the changes in my hard copy POH. Unless the manufacturers start putting out electronic AFMs, I think the only way you could really achieve an accurate electronic document would be to manually scan and PDF your own hard copy.

A couple years ago I researched EFBs to include the possibility of the AFM in electronic form. Some manufacturers support this on certain models and some don't. As previously stated, it depend on whether or not they provide electronic revisions.

I'll have to scan (or retype) most of the ones I have because it's doubtful the manufacturers ever did them electronically (it looks like they were typed on an old typewriter). The pilot's guides for the IFR GPS and the Autopilot which the flight manual supplements require to also be on board, are a lot easier to come by (in fact, the STEC 55X I have in machine readable form is a later version than the one that I carry by law).

One would hope that by a "scanned version of the AFM" one is referring to a digital duplicate of the current AFM tied to the serial number of the specific airplane, along with all required supplements and at least the required changes from the manufacturer. Not replacing the aircraft's AFM with a generic manual, whether paper or plastic.

AC91-78, which deals with plain vanilla Part 91 EFBs at least suggests using it for the approved manual is just as OK as using it for charts.

One would hope that by a "scanned version of the AFM" one is referring to a digital duplicate of the current AFM tied to the serial number of the specific airplane, along with all required supplements and at least the required changes from the manufacturer. Not replacing the aircraft's AFM with a generic manual, whether paper or plastic.

Yes, one would indeed hope that is the case.

I suppose I've just seen too many examples of pilots cutting corners that I'm a bit pessimistic.

Yes, one would indeed hope that is the case.

I suppose I've just seen too many examples of pilots cutting corners that I'm a bit pessimistic.
I guess I'm just to trusting. Figured he meant an AFM when he said AFM and not a 3x5 card with a penciled checklist :no:

That's not to say you are not right - you might well be :yes:

Yes it's the original serial number specific AFM that I have scanned along with the Garmin 430W flight manual supplement. It resides on both iPads in the plane. I also carry FOUR backup iPad battery chargers- one for each seat. So there is no running out of battery on the iPads. I can't imagine needing to read the AFM during flight but it would be easier on my iPad than that huge binder. Thanks for the input. I'm going to archive my paper AFM in a safe place and go with the dual iPad pdf approach. I'll update the pdf if there are any changes to the AFM such as weight and balance.

I've also scanned all log books as a backup in case something happens to the originals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't imagine needing to read the AFM during flight
I've had to use the AFM/POH in flight occasionally when making an unscheduled stop/divert for landing (and takeoff) distance calculations.

Also occasionally used to troubleshoot a system problem in flight.

Unless the manufacturers start putting out electronic AFMs, I think the only way you could really achieve an accurate electronic document would be to manually scan and PDF your own hard copy.

Actually on many of the LSA's online is the only place to find the most accurate copy of the AFM.

Back