Callout Fee

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
Let's see what you guys think about this. I think it'll be an interesting discussion. Warning, it's long-winded.

I flew to an airport for the sole purpose of getting fuel. I invited a couple of pilot buddies to ride with me. We get there and the pump is down. There was no NOTAM and I have no idea how long it had been down. I decided to head to another airport 14 miles away. I pull up to the pumps and saw a piece of paper taped over the pump saying it was down! There was a number to have someone come out and turn on the pumps and it said they would charge the self service price.

I called the number and an hour later the attendant showed up. This seemed like a long time, but I was in no rush.

They say there's three sides to every story, mine, his, & the truth, so here's mine!

This guy shows up and he's in a bad mood. He barely greeted us when we said hello. He turned on the pump and I filled up the plane and headed to the terminal to pay him. Before he did anything, I asked him if I was getting the self service price, really just as a gentle reminder. He said yes, but there will be a callout fee. I asked why and he told me the airport was closed. I told him the airport was not closed and he waived his hand around and said we're closed (the FBO). I told him I didn't think I should pay one since there was no NOTAM about the fuel pumps being down, nothing on the sign says anything about a callout fee, and when I called the number, nobody said anything about one. I told him I wouldn't have landed there if I knew there wasn't fuel. He said, "well, you're going to pay it." Now at this point, I admit my blood pressure went up. I asked if there was an Airport Manager, or someone we could call. He said no. I asked, "There's no airport manager?" He again said no. I started looking through the business cards on the counter and he responded, saying, "there's no airport manager on call." Things escalated at this point. I said I was going to call the first phone number I called and see if I could get someone to talk to me about this. Now, I admit, I could have de-escalated and just paid the fee, but this guy's attitude did not sit well with me. He told me at least two more times that it didn't matter what I did, I was going to pay the fee.

At some point, I guess I raised my voice and he took offense to it. He told me he wasn't going to deal with me if I didn't lower my voice. I smiled and told him that yes, he was going to deal with me, I had a plane full of his fuel and he had none of my money. He again said he wasn't going to deal with me. I told him he had to... I already have the fuel and need to pay for it. He said, "oh yeah?" and picked up the phone. At this point, I figured he was calling the police and I mumbled something about this being a bunch of !@#$ and he lost it! He was started saying now you're yelling and cussing at me! I stepped outside and called the number on the pumps and told them what was going on and that I needed someone with more authority to step in and help resolve this situation. They said they would send someone to help. I walked back in and this guy was telling whoever was on the phone that I was yelling and cussing at him and he wouldn't deal with me. Then he got a weird look on his face and asked, "Really? Let him go without charging him? Not even for the fuel? OK." Then he hung up and told me I was free to leave! On the way out, I told him, "Hey, I know tensions got high and it may not be worth anything to you, but I do apologize that things went this far." He told me I was right, it wasn't worth anything and to have a good night!

Today I got a call from the Director of Operations. He wanted to know what happened and I told him the story. He tells me in the history of the airport, thirty years, they've always had a callout fee and nobody has ever complained. I asked, "wow, you've been there thirty years?" and he said no, he'd been there four years. Ok, so you have no idea if anyone has ever complained. He did say he understood my point about the NOTAM and that they were waiving the fee this one time only! So in the end, I win, but what a frustrating night.

Editing to add this part. The DOO did tell me the reason the attendant was told to let me go was because the person on the phone heard me yelling in the background and felt like I was being very aggressive. I laughed and told him I understand that perspective, but what he heard was actually someone else telling him to stop saying I was cussing and yelling when I was standing there not saying a word! I see how things could have become much worse based on an misinterpreting what they were hearing.

I know some will say I should have acted differently and I'll accept that. But... do you think you should you have to pay a callout fee if the airport knows the pump is down, but doesn't put out a NOTAM, doesn't say there's a callout fee on the sign, and doesn't say there's a callout fee when you call them?

Last edited:
I got scammed on a call out fee recently too, I left a bad review on foreflight and will call it a day. They were at the airport already so there was no calling out either. It’s annoying to say the least. Not sure why everyone doesn’t offer self service.

I had one instance i would have gladly paid a call out fee had that been an option. KLCQ just after hours on a Saturday to drop my dad's plane off at x35 for an upgrade.

As far as it not being notam'd. Just another fail on the notam system. We in theory have a system for such things. Why can't we use it? And why can't we use it in plain English with the airport manager being able to set an order of precedence. We've all got phones and tablets and with the ability to read English. I however have a hard time trying to figure out some of the made up abbreviations

And why can't we use it in plain English with the airport manager being able to set an order of precedence. We've all got phones and tablets and with the ability to read English. I however have a hard time trying to figure out some of the made up abbreviations
Funny you should mention that. This airport now added a NOTAM today. From my experience, I think it means no fuel available except with one hour prior notice. image000000.jpegimage000000.jpeg

Some of us Texas pilots kind of need to know where this is... so they don't have to deal with this again. Looks like Killeen?

I'd have been ****ed too. But I probably would have gone someplace else when I saw the pumps were off if I wasn't desperate for fuel.

Let's see what you guys think about this. I think it'll be an interesting discussion. Warning, it's long-winded.

I flew to an airport for the sole purpose of getting fuel. I invited a couple of pilot buddies to ride with me. We get there and the pump is down. There was no NOTAM and I have no idea how long it had been down. I decided to head to another airport 14 miles away. I pull up to the pumps and saw a piece of paper taped over the pump saying it was down! There was a number to have someone come out and turn on the pumps and it said they would charge the self service price.

I called the number and an hour later the attendant showed up. This seemed like a long time, but I was in no rush.

They say there's three sides to every story, mine, his, & the truth, so here's mine!

This guy shows up and he's in a bad mood. He barely greeted us when we said hello. He turned on the pump and I filled up the plane and headed to the terminal to pay him. Before he did anything, I asked him if I was getting the self service price, really just as a gentle reminder. He said yes, but there will be a callout fee. I asked why and he told me the airport was closed. I told him the airport was not closed and he waived his hand around and said we're closed (the FBO). I told him I didn't think I should pay one since there was no NOTAM about the fuel pumps being down, nothing on the sign says anything about a callout fee, and when I called the number, nobody said anything about one. I told him I wouldn't have landed there if I knew there wasn't fuel. He said, "well, you're going to pay it." Now at this point, I admit my blood pressure went up. I asked if there was an Airport Manager, or someone we could call. He said no. I asked, "There's no airport manager?" He again said no. I started looking through the business cards on the counter and he responded, saying, "there's no airport manager on call." Things escalated at this point. I said I was going to call the first phone number I called and see if I could get someone to talk to me about this. Now, I admit, I could have de-escalated and just paid the fee, but this guy's attitude did not sit well with me. He told me at least two more times that it didn't matter what I did, I was going to pay the fee.

At some point, I guess I raised my voice and he took offense to it. He told me he wasn't going to deal with me if I didn't lower my voice. I smiled and told him that yes, he was going to deal with me, I had a plane full of his fuel and he had none of my money. He again said he wasn't going to deal with me. I told him he had to... I already have the fuel and need to pay for it. He said, "oh yeah?" and picked up the phone. At this point, I figured he was calling the police and I mumbled something about this being a bunch of !@#$ and he lost it! He was started saying now you're yelling and cussing at me! I stepped outside and called the number on the pumps and told them what was going on and that I needed someone with more authority to step in and help resolve this situation. They said they would send someone to help. I walked back in and this guy was telling whoever was on the phone that I was yelling and cussing at him and he wouldn't deal with me. Then he got a weird look on his face and asked, "Really? Let him go without charging him? Not even for the fuel? OK." Then he hung up and told me I was free to leave! On the way out, I told him, "Hey, I know tensions got high and it may not be worth anything to you, but I do apologize that things went this far." He told me I was right, it wasn't worth anything and to have a good night!

Today I got a call from the Director of Operations. He wanted to know what happened and I told him the story. He tells me in the history of the airport, thirty years, they've always had a callout fee and nobody has ever complained. I asked, "wow, you've been there thirty years?" and he said no, he'd been there four years. Ok, so you have no idea if anyone has ever complained. He did say he understood my point about the NOTAM and that they were waiving the fee this one time only! So in the end, I win, but what a frustrating night.

Editing to add this part. The DOO did tell me the reason the attendant was told to let me go was because the person on the phone heard me yelling in the background and felt like I was being very aggressive. I laughed and told him I understand that perspective, but what he heard was actually someone else telling him to stop saying I was cussing and yelling when I was standing there not saying a word! I see how things could have become much worse based on an misinterpreting what they were hearing.

I know some will say I should have acted differently and I'll accept that. But... do you think you should you have to pay a callout fee if the airport knows the pump is down, but doesn't put out a NOTAM, doesn't say there's a callout fee on the sign, and doesn't say there's a callout fee when you call them?
Wonder if David met the same guy you did.

upload_2023-7-4_1-29-33.png

So a guy who was at home, perhaps on a holiday weekend, came to the airport to fuel a plane and the poster wants to complain about paying him? I’m gonna side with the fbo on this.

anything like raising one’s voice or yelling is a lack of self control

yes, post is long winded and full of hot air

Where I work, the phone lines are recorded...There have been NUMEROUS times where complaints have been filed, saying myself or other employees are yelling, swearing, etc., at people on the phone. Never once has this been true to my knowledge. It happens frequently enough, that I believe those making the complaint truly believe the person on the other end of the line is yelling and swearing, because even when they are told the lines are recorded, they respond with, "Good!", like it is going to confirm their complaint. When they are told that there was no yelling or swearing on the part of an employee, they then claim there is a coverup....
The human mind has a funny way of distorting the facts, especially in stressful situations.

You said it at the beginning. Three sides to every story. Life is full of interactions, the good, the bad, and the ugly, and everything is clouded by perceptions. You perceived he had an attitude, he perceived you had an attitude and things went down from there. Everyone loses, and thankfully it did not escalate from just a fight of words and perceptions.

BTW, How much was the call out fee, and how much time did you waste fighting about it...was it worth the fight? Just saying (from someone who has fought these battles way too many times), sometimes it's just not worth it.

You said it at the beginning. Three sides to every story. Life is full of interactions, the good, the bad, and the ugly, and everything is clouded by perceptions. You perceived he had an attitude, he perceived you had an attitude and things went down from there. Everyone loses, and thankfully it did not escalate from just a fight of words and perceptions.

BTW, How much was the call out fee, and how much time did you waste fighting about it...was it worth the fight? Just saying (from someone who has fought these battles way too many times), sometimes it's just not worth it.

and fighting it with someone working for an hourly rate, not a decision maker. Could have paid and complained later.

seems to me with all those pilots on board one of them could have read fuel comments first.
On the preflight, where was the fuel stop planned for?
Might the anger and indignation be better directed inward?

I’m planning some longer xc, sure gonna call before landing bfe for services.

So how much was it? I suspect around 30 bucks. That’s probably the guy’s only pay for coming out. He should’ve told you about the fee before he came out. The pump should be fixed, wondering why it isn’t. I suspect the notam will cause all transients to avoid the place.

Some of us Texas pilots kind of need to know where this is... so they don't have to deal with this again. Looks like Killeen?
Yep

I'd have been ****ed too. But I probably would have gone someplace else when I saw the pumps were off if I wasn't desperate for fuel.
I was low enough that I didn't want to fly at night to another airport. According to my numbers, I would have had enough, but it was closer than I was comfortable with.

I would have paid the call out fee and thanked him for coming out to help me. I don't understand the indignation.

Just my opinion, not saying you don't have a right to yours.
I understand your opinion. If it had been published that there was a fee, or if someone had told me when I called, I would have had no choice but to accept it.

How much was the fee?

$100 and I’m with you. $5, not so much.
No idea. Pretty sure it wasn't $5.

So how much was it? I suspect around 30 bucks. That’s probably the guy’s only pay for coming out. He should’ve told you about the fee before he came out. The pump should be fixed, wondering why it isn’t. I suspect the notam will cause all transients to avoid the place.
It was not the guy's only pay for coming out. He's a city employee. My friend works at our local airport and will come out if you call for fuel... and we have a NOTAM saying we don't have self service fuel and fuel is only available during normal business hours. He gets paid his normal rate and there is no service call fee.

As someone who's gone to court over a $40 parking ticket, I get standing one's ground on principle. That said, after the guy dug his heels in, I would have paid it, then filed a dispute with the credit card company. And leave a an appropriate comment on ForeFlight and airnav.

Raising one's voice is never necessary.

By the way, how much was the call-out fee? What time of day, day of week was this?

So it was purely “the principal”.

No, I wouldn’t have gotten so worked up over not being informed of the fee, or the guy being grumpy. I don’t expect the profits they are making off my one fuel purchase to buy me anything but the fuel. If someone has to come help me with it, I wouldn’t be mad if there was a fee involved.

As someone who's gone to court over a $40 parking ticket, I get standing one's ground on principle. That said, after the guy dug his heels in, I would have paid it, then filed a dispute with the credit card company. And leave a an appropriate comment on ForeFlight and airnav.

Raising one's voice is never necessary.

By the way, how much was the call-out fee? What time of day, day of week was this?
I understand that a lot of people won't think I handled the situation properly. I put parts of the story in that don't make me look good. I did that because it's the truth and I did what I did.

I'm guessing most people raise their voices in an argument. I didn't yell at the guy. They had cameras and if the audio comes out, you'll hear my buddy in the background saying, "Don't tell people he's yelling and cussing at you, he's not doing either!" When he dug his heels in, he really dug them in. That's when he refused to take my card and said he wasn't going to deal with me. There was no option to pay and file a dispute.

I don't know how much the fee was, it was Sunday night around 8PM. I don't understand why people ask how much the fee is. If it was $10 or $100, I shouldn't just give people my hard earned money because they say so.

So it was purely “the principal”.

No, I wouldn’t have gotten so worked up over not being informed of the fee, or the guy being grumpy. I don’t expect the profits they are making off my one fuel purchase to buy me anything but the fuel. If someone has to come help me with it, I wouldn’t be mad if there was a fee involved.
I understand. Yes, it was the principal for me. I even admitted, it's the way he spoke to me. Telling me over and over that I was going to pay it. I'm repeating myself at this point, but someone adding a fee at the end of a transaction with nothing published or being mentioned doesn't work for me.

I understand that a lot of people won't think I handled the situation properly. I put parts of the story in that don't make me look good. I did that because it's the truth and I did what I did.

I'm guessing most people raise their voices in an argument. I didn't yell at the guy. They had cameras and if the audio comes out, you'll hear my buddy in the background saying, "Don't tell people he's yelling and cussing at you, he's not doing either!" When he dug his heels in, he really dug them in. That's when he refused to take my card and said he wasn't going to deal with me. There was no option to pay and file a dispute.

I don't know how much the fee was, it was Sunday night around 8PM. I don't understand why people ask how much the fee is. If it was $10 or $100, I shouldn't just give people my hard earned money because they say so.

I get that the fee wasn't posted, but I don't think it's unreasonable to charge a call-out fee on a Sunday at 8pm. I likely would have straight-up asked if there was a call-out fee if I was calling someone at that hour to get gas.

And yes, we live in a real world. It does matter if it's $10 or $100. The world isn't fair.

You're gonna drop from a heart attack eventually if things like this bother you so much that you argue with a staff employee and then go on the internet a couple days later to rant about it.

Take some breaths and move on.

P.S. most people don't raise their voice.

until I read this thread, I had never in my <mumble> years heard of a "call out fee" at airports or anywhere else. So I wouldn't have ever thought to ask about a fee that wasn't posted/notam'd/whatever.

My first thought would have been the guy is trying to scam me.

I get that the fee wasn't posted, but I don't think it's unreasonable to charge a call-out fee on a Sunday at 8pm. I likely would have straight-up asked if there was a call-out fee if I was calling someone at that hour to get gas.

And yes, we live in a real world. It does matter if it's $10 or $100. The world isn't fair.

You're gonna drop from a heart attack eventually if things like this bother you so much that you argue with a staff employee and then go on the internet a couple days later to rant about it.

Take some breaths and move on.

P.S. most people don't raise their voice.
LOL, thanks doc! Getting upset over something, just because you think it's trivial isn't going to make me drop from a heart attack. The world may not be fair, but you don't have to just bend over and take it either.

If it wasn’t clearly marked somewhere on the pump or you weren’t told about it when you called then I would not have paid a call out fee either. Without posted pricing somewhere what’s to keep the person from deciding on a whim how much it should be or how do you even know there is a standard fee and the guy isn’t just making it up to collect some extra profit for himself? I don’t buy things without knowing what the price will be before hand. This would have been different had he told you there was a fee before you pumped your gas.

I hate garbage fees as much as the next guy, but calling to ask for a service outside of regular business hours is not something I expect without any additional cost. I have paid call out fees for after hour service at multiple airports. Never once did I think to question if that fee was posted somewhere. A few times the guy who answered the phone stated quite clearly that there would be a fee so I was made aware prior to coming out. I would suspect the guy Jack dealt with will do so the next time he is called.

LOL, thanks doc! Getting upset over something, just because you think it's trivial isn't going to make me drop from a heart attack. The world may not be fair, but you don't have to just bend over and take it either.
You're the one who started this thread asking what we think. I think you overreacted.

If you post a thread on AITA, be prepared to be told YTA.

You seem wound a little tight Jack, you asked for a discussion, here it is. Personally I would have asked the guy how much the fee is, where is it listed in their fee schedule, why there is a fee for a self service pump and why isn't the pump working correctly. If the fee was 20 or under, I would have paid it, if it was more I would have told him no.

Then I would have written a review in Foreflight, describing what happened, warned about unexpected fees and forgotten about it. Life is too short, this is not an inexpensive vocation we have, it seems to have more than it's share of jerks on both sides. Not worth any prolonged agita in my opinion.

You're the one who started this thread asking what we think. I think you overreacted.

If you post a thread on AITA, be prepared to be told YTA.
I’m okay with your opinion, I asked for it! Telling me I’m going to have a heart attack is where you made me laugh.

You seem wound a little tight Jack, you asked for a discussion, here it is. Personally I would have asked the guy how much the fee is, where is it listed in their fee schedule, why there is a fee for a self service pump and why isn't the pump working correctly. If the fee was 20 or under, I would have paid it, if it was more I would have told him no.

Then I would have written a review in Foreflight, describing what happened, warned about unexpected fees and forgotten about it. Life is too short, this is not an inexpensive vocation we have, it seems to have more than its share of jerks on both sides. Not worth any prolonged agita in my opinion.
Lol, maybe I am! I’m not sure why $20 is an acceptable amount for something that’s not published. You guys can feel free to Venmo me whatever amount of money you deem is acceptable to throw away.

BTW, for those of you who think I’m offended by your responses, I’m really not. There were three of us in my plane. One of my friends was completely on my side, the other guy avoids confrontation at any cost. He kept his head down low and would have preferred I just let it go. We’re all built differently.

According to the OP, there was a sign on the self-service pumps directing pilots to call for fuel and specifically starting they'd be charged the self-service price. If that only applied during certain hours or there were additional fees, that's where it should have been posted. I wouldn't be surprised if adding the callout fee after the fact violates state consumer-protection laws.

Lol, maybe I am! I’m not sure why $20 is an acceptable amount for something that’s not published. You guys can feel free to Venmo me whatever amount of money you deem is acceptable to throw away.

BTW, for those of you who think I’m offended by your responses, I’m really not. There were three of us in my plane. One of my friends was completely on my side, the other guy avoids confrontation at any cost. He kept his head down low and would have preferred I just let it go. We’re all built differently.

Yeah, I guess some people get wound up for days over $20. You got what you wanted, let it go.

According to the OP, there was a sign on the self-service pumps directing pilots to call for fuel and specifically starting they'd be charged the self-service price. If that only applied during certain hours or there were additional fees, that's where it should have been posted. I wouldn't be surprised if adding the callout fee after the fact violates state consumer-protection laws.
Yep.

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 88
The sign clearly says you’ll not be charged full service prices during normal business hours. They should have mentioned that an after hours fee applies of calls outside of business hours, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable for them to charge it, had they properly disclosed it...

Last edited:
I’ve ran in to call out fee signs twice and both occasions the voice on the other end was candid about them being charged if someone comes out, and both times I declined the service.

OP was denied the chance to agree to the fee.

Someone comes out, in a huff, then tacks on a mystery fee to my transaction, and then tells me I'm gonna pay it -- I'd dig my heels in too. That's a transactional F-You from a vendor I am handing a few hundred bucks.

Pretty sure if they had posted the fee on the sign, or mentioned it during the phone call, OP would have brassed up happily.

I have only ever run across this "call us to come turn on the pump" situation in texas. my encounters have been neutral or pleasant. this situation was decidedly unpleasant.

I’d have been put out by the surprise fee, but come on, you’re getting special service, how can you get terribly worked up about it?

Back