Calling all Electrical Engineers or others !!

Wow...I am very grateful for the response that I am receiving. I have read all of the post once or twice and am letting it all soak in.

Meanwhile, I have begun setting up a few appointments with people I already know in that side of the industry to get some ideas. I am located in east central Michigan...so its not the greatest area for employment opportunities. Also relocating would be tough as I do farm and my wife has an excellent job that she loves.

I am considering making a few changes here and try to give it a little more time. Schooling does not scare me...but the thought of paying for it does. Well, maybe it does a little...but I know I can do it.

You guys gave me a lot to think about and I am very grateful.

If this wasn't enough, I am also working on getting my medical reinstated and pick up a BFR after 4 years of inactivity....buts thats a whole different animal :wink2:

I'll be back shortly with more questions...

Thanks, Steve

If this wasn't enough, I am also working on getting my medical reinstated and pick up a BFR after 4 years of inactivity....buts thats a whole different animal :wink2:

Thanks, Steve
Those you want to target to Dr Bruce, bbchien, he's very good at getting people their medicals back, also not god awfully far from you if it comes to it.

A EE degree is essentially a mathematics degree. Experience matters,
sometimes. Your experience as an electrician is nice, but not especially
practical/helpful when it comes to completing the EE cirriculum. Do you
like/enjoy calculus? Differential Equations? Field theory?

Yes, you'll have it a bit easier for the classes that discuss motor generators
and distribution. But that is a teenie aspect of earning a EE degree.

What is your IDEAL job role?

> I am located in east central Michigan...so its not the greatest area for
> employment opportunities.

That just might be the understatement of the year. Where, in east-
central Michigan are you located? Flint? Tri-cities? Thumb?

> Also relocating would be tough as I do farm and my wife has an excellent
> job that she loves.

Yes, that is gonna complicate matters. We're trying to decide whether to
trade a relocation to DC (for job security) for:

- A mortgage ... haven't had one of those in 20 years.
- A lower std of living ...
- Selling the plane
- Selling the Franken-Miata

Last edited:
Wow...I am very grateful for the response that I am receiving. I have read all of the post once or twice and am letting it all soak in.

Meanwhile, I have begun setting up a few appointments with people I already know in that side of the industry to get some ideas. I am located in east central Michigan...so its not the greatest area for employment opportunities. Also relocating would be tough as I do farm and my wife has an excellent job that she loves.

I am considering making a few changes here and try to give it a little more time. Schooling does not scare me...but the thought of paying for it does. Well, maybe it does a little...but I know I can do it.

You guys gave me a lot to think about and I am very grateful.

Thanks, Steve
Steve,
Can I suggest one more thing to think about? Have you considered an Architectural Engineering degree? Architectural Engineering programs vary greatly among universities. Some schools have an electrical option and some don't. The math requirements are much less than with a straight EE degree so it may be a better choice if you don't like calculus.

may be a better choice if you don't like calculus.

errrrg! Calculus can be survived by memorization. Do not let math be an obstacle. PDEs on the other hand...

I tried EE in undergrad but ended up finishing with a CS degree instead. Fast forward a decade, picked up a masters in applied math, part time.

In the end, it's just a credential; what do you want to do with it? Think hard about opportunity cost vs. expected payoff.

> Calculus can be survived by memorization ...

Caution: Calculus jokes ahead:

#1) 1/Cabin*d(Cabin) = ???

#2) 1/Cabin*d(Cabin)+c = ???

Answers:

#1) Log Cabin
#2) Houseboat

> Calculus can be survived by memorization ...

Caution: Calculus jokes ahead:

#1) 1/Cabin*d(Cabin) = ???

#2) 1/Cabin*d(Cabin)+c = ???

Answers:

#1) Log Cabin
#2) Houseboat
Dude, your nerd is showing...:rofl:

One thing to look into is a university that has a Co-op Program. Back in the stone age, I made enough on my co-op job to pay for college. Basically for the middle three years, I worked a quarter and went to school a quarter. Granted I was living at home at the time but when I graduated from the scheduled 5 year program, I owed nothing (and had nothing). Check the University of Cincinnati for one and there are others.

Cheers

One thing to look into is a university that has a Co-op Program. Back in the stone age, I made enough on my co-op job to pay for college. Basically for the middle three years, I worked a quarter and went to school a quarter. Granted I was living at home at the time but when I graduated from the scheduled 5 year program, I owed nothing (and had nothing). Check the University of Cincinnati for one and there are others.

Cheers

Co-op programs are good for many purposes. That's just one. Heck, the last semester I was in college I was going to school half time and working half time on a co-op job. My wife and I were banking money each month. Not many undergrads could claim to have income exceeding expenses while in school. We did it that one semester.

> when I graduated from the scheduled 5 year program, I owed nothing
> (and had nothing)

GMI was one heck of a deal for me. Graduated debt-free ... and managed to
keep flying.

One of my current students (He has graduated from the community college and is now here at Lawrence Tech.)

Starting at a Community College can save a bit of change. Plus you don't have the mondo lecture halls / teaching assistant problem that you find at some of the big 4 year schools (you won't find that here either).

Last edited:
Back