Calling All Cherokee 140 owners/flyers!

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
What is your typical cruise speed?

Actually I think a Cherokee 140 is about the best basic cheap to own fun safe airplane there is. A great time builder - in part because you won't get anywhere fast. But as honest an airplane as there is. But if you're asking about cruise speeds, maybe you're daydreaming of something faster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually I think a Cherokee 140 is about the best basic cheap to own fun safe airplane there is. A great time builder - in part because you won't get anywhere fast. But as honest an airplane as there is. But if you're asking about cruise speeds, maybe you're daydreaming of something faster?

I am just honestly curious what other guys are seeing in terms of cruise speed (not just book numbers). I do love looking at planes on controller, trade a plane, etc...but I won't have a new plane anytime soon!

I remember 105kts maybe 110 but it's been a while

The 140 I instruct in has the 160 hp upgrade. We flight plan it for 105 knots and that's pretty reliable.

No idea for sure but around 100-105 knots. When I'm up for 1.5-2.0 or so, I land wherever is convenient.

Cheers

Thanks guys that is spot on with what I have seen/plan for.

I had one of the newest 140s (1977 model year), unmodified, factory wingtips and wheel fairings ... 105 KTAS.

Actually I think a Cherokee 140 is about the best basic cheap to own fun safe airplane there is.
Yep. Very comfortable as a two-seater (same front seat room as in an Arrow), with the option of occasionally toting a lightweight passenger or two in the back.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Mine would do 120 mph (mine was placards as such) at 75% power. That said, mine was a very fast Cherokee, with a 20 hp boost, gap seals and vortex generators. I suspect a bare bones PA28-140 will be a bit slower.

Mine ranges between 95 - 110 and I long for something faster and heavier, especially after yesterday's 7.5 hour trip.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Mine would do 120 mph (mine was placards as such) at 75% power. That said, mine was a very fast Cherokee, with a 20 hp boost, gap seals and vortex generators. I suspect a bare bones PA28-140 will be a bit slower.

120 mph is about 104 kts. So, your "very fast Cherokee" seems a little slow. You said 20 HP boost, but I'm sure you mean 10. Cherokee 140's are a 150HP airplane, and I bet you had a 160HP conversion.

I owned a 1964 140 for three years and flew it all over hell. That's been 20-something years ago, but when I saw the question, my recollection told me 105 kts, so I guess that's about right.

The 140 I instruct in has the 160 hp upgrade. We flight plan it for 105 knots and that's pretty reliable.
That's about right for IAS, depending on how hard I flog the Lycoming. The 160HP doesn't do much for airspeed, it's more climb power.

105kt = 120.7MPH

The stated mods do nothing to increase speed.

My old Cherokee 160 would do at best 100 kts IAS in cruise - seemed to like 2350 RPM. Full size nose wheel, no wheel pants.

Mine is straight stock, and like everyone else, I'm 105kts @ 2350rpm

105 knots is the best I'd ever see in my old 160hp model.

But cranking the trim was fun (always the wrong direction at first), so there was that. :p

Flew a 160 conversion with wheel pants. I'd plan 110.

Another crappier 140 I flew was more of 105 knot airplane.

105 knots is the best I'd ever see in my old 160hp model.

But cranking the trim was fun (always the wrong direction at first), so there was that. :p
Had a guy come up with an interesting way to remember. With a longer handle, trim up would whack you in the front of the head, pointing your nose up. Trim down the opposite. I tried it but didn't like the bruises on my forehead,

Generally see +/-105kts TAS at 2450 RPM, 3500 feet, standard temp/pressure. Pretty consistent.

Mine also 105 knots as typical. Mine was last owned by a guy that was trying to make it something that it is not, and he went heavy on the mods: gap seals, wing tips, fairings for everything, powerflow, etc. But, he never touched the prop, so I mainly see much improved climb and service ceiling. Above 7000 or so, I sometimes run full throttle, and then I see 115-120 knots.

Mine also 105 knots as typical. Mine was last owned by a guy that was trying to make it something that it is not, and he went heavy on the mods: gap seals, wing tips, fairings for everything, powerflow, etc. But, he never touched the prop, so I mainly see much improved climb and service ceiling. Above 7000 or so, I sometimes run full throttle, and then I see 115-120 knots.

Power flow is nice...been thinking about that and the 160HP upgrade. Amazed what they charge for that exhaust system though

Had a guy come up with an interesting way to remember. With a longer handle, trim up would whack you in the front of the head, pointing your nose up. Trim down the opposite. I tried it but didn't like the bruises on my forehead,

That's actually how I remember it lol...although now it is just muscle memory for me

Power flow is nice...been thinking about that and the 160HP upgrade. Amazed what they charge for that exhaust system though
Agreed on that price. This is the only Cherokee I've ever known, so I wouldn't know the difference. But, others that have flown in it say it is immediately apparent due to the different noise and extra power.
Between the powerflow and the other mods, I see climbs (when by myself) of 1000 fpm at sea level, and still above 500 fpm at 7000. I've had mine to 17500 feet on a cold night one time just to try it.

Agreed on that price. This is the only Cherokee I've ever known, so I wouldn't know the difference. But, others that have flown in it say it is immediately apparent due to the different noise and extra power.
Between the powerflow and the other mods, I see climbs (when by myself) of 1000 fpm at sea level, and still above 500 fpm at 7000. I've had mine to 17500 feet on a cold night one time just to try it.

Holy cow...yea I've seen the reviews on their website but I thought it might be typical marketing BS. Apparently not. Might have to look into it more

I've flown several airplanes equipped with the Power Flow system. Each one outperformed the stock set up. One was a student's Cherokee 140 with the PF exhaust and 160 hp STC. Was almost as fast as my stock Cherokee 180. Should you do both upgrades or even just one, it's been my experience that you'll need to also re-pitch the prop to deal with the hp increase. YMMV.

It can be a bit pricy... but, if you need major exhaust work, it is worth it (IMHO). They do run some sales every once in a while. Far superior system, quality materials and safer.

103 sticks out in my mind, although most of my initial flying was on the 160 model, no wheel pants

I've been flying a high-wing lately, but I always felt like the low wing Piper offered a very stable and sturdy almost tractor like ride. Nothing sporty but definitely honest and predictable, in my experience, like others said

Mine runs at about 105 wide open, 2550 cruise rpm is about 98 kts.

At cruise altitudes AOA 8k, my 160hp O-320 could not get above 100KIAS but the 98KIAS (or so) translated nicely into 115KTAS.
If it matters, she had wheel pants, root gap seals and some new-ish wingtips (not curled).

My old Cherokee 140 had the wheel pants removed and was slightly out of rig. At 70-75% power it would consistently do 105 knots. Had I actually rigged it and cleaned things up a bit it might have gone slightly faster but I don't think it would have made enough difference to make it worth my time.

Back