California Aeronautical University

Will not having your degree in aviation hinder your chances as a career pilot? Highly doubtful. Hours and ratings and you have a job with today's environment. Just having a degree will be beneficial as an employee, but I would argue it does not need to be in aviation specifically to have a successful aviation career. Never been asked what my degree was in since I graduated. Value in college education today is learning the system and rule of engagement with discipline more that learning ABC's of a topic.

Business management would be a better degree if you want to succeed in aviation!
You can get by without a degree at a regional but if you want to be competitive at a major you'll have at least a bachelor's.

Depends on how you define 'decent salary'.

The problem is that you have absolutely no way of knowing how the industry will be 5 years from now. Things are good at the moment, but the music can stop at any time (economy tanks, age 67, etc). No debt is nice because it allows you to be flexible when the job conditions change, which they most certainly will. Don't make financial decisions on the expectation of an upgrade at x years, or a major at y years.

I'm not exactly worried about being well off, but want to know if if I decide To go a few bucks in debt, if I will be able to feed myself. Going to try and find the most cost efficient way so I'm prepared for change.

What are the odds against you having a tumor? What are the odds against high blood pressure, diabetes, or any number of conditions that can complicate or obviate your medical? I am one of the healthiest people on this board for my age (you can ask anyone who's met me) and my medical is a mess because of my gout, which only presented when I was in my forties. Anyone in your family have kidney stones? They're phenomenally painful, difficult to cure, and grounding.

There is one more thing you really should consider. The guy off whom I bought my bike was an airline pilot. Paid for all the ratings and everything, and pretty much gave it up and runs a motorcycle dealership. Why? He got married and had a kid, and really didn't like all the time away from his family. You should know that the needs and desires of a young man are not always those of an older man, and that the travel and time away that seems exotic now may not be so desirable later on.

Says me, get your degree. Go to a community college, then a four year school. Get a degree in a STEM field like engineering or math, something that you can use to get a kick-ass job. Then use the money you earn to climb your ratings. The airlines will still be there, so will the jets. There is a guy on this board who got an airline job in his 50s. But in the meantime you'll have a bit of life experience. You'll know yourself that much better. And if you do the airline thing at least you can do it without being knee deep in debt. That way if you decide you don't like it (lots of guys do) you can bail without destroying yourself.
Lot of wisdom here, and maybe I'm dumb, but I've been going the marketing route the last three years and in fact am almost in a decent position at the radio station company I work at, but I really would like a career in aviation. I could go that route as far as a degree, and I may end up choosing your suggestions over my current plan of finishing out my business and marketing degree, but my focus will be to become a career aviator.

Maybe I'm dumb.

Do you have experience paying down a debt, or coming out debt free? Besides the obvious monthly check slicing, what are the downsides to having a heap of debt and getting there faster?

Is it true or a fallacy that I could be making decent salary at a regional or something at the majors 5 years after hire date?
At my airline, first year pilots make 50K which can easily go up if you pick up flying.

At my airline, first year pilots make 50K which can easily go up if you pick up flying.

Being impacted by debt for the first part of my career and figuring it oit doesn't frighten me, and I don't mind budgeting, it's what I already do.

What does, however, frighten me is losing a medical or the industry heading south and not having a backup plan.

I'm not exactly worried about being well off, but want to know if if I decide To go a few bucks in debt, if I will be able to feed myself. Going to try and find the most cost efficient way so I'm prepared for change.

I think a "few bucks in debt" will be OK. I can tell you about 25K in student loans, refinanced at very low rates a few years ago (~2.something %) is less than 200/month for like 20 years. ~150K at 4.5% for 30 years is about 750/mo (house). Big difference in debt service between 20-30K for ratings at a local 61 outfit and 100+grand for a fancy 141 school.

2 years later same ratings, way different debt payments.

It sounds like regional pay has come up to make it a living wage in most areas of the country.

good luck

Maybe I'm dumb.

I don't think you're being dumb at all - it's just important to be armed with the potential pitfalls of this industry. You want to go in with your eyes open, and it sounds like you're trying to do just that.

Being impacted by debt for the first part of my career and figuring it oit doesn't frighten me, and I don't mind budgeting, it's what I already do.

What does, however, frighten me is losing a medical or the industry heading south and not having a backup plan.
Which is why I got a degree in Economics and not Aeronautical Science. It's the risk you take in the industry. Right now, it's booming. A few years ago it was awful. And don't listen to people saying you'll never be home. My buddy who is working for another airline has 20 days off this month and has all day trips on his schedule. I'm guaranteed 11 days off a month. I get to fly a jet that goes 500 mph while I'm 22 years old. It's a job that people only dream of doing. Don't let others discourage you!

I don't think you're being dumb at all - it's just important to be armed with the potential pitfalls of this industry. You want to go in with your eyes open, and it sounds like you're trying to do just that.
And I thank you for the information.
seems like a risky business to enter, but it is my first love and to this day one of the only jobs I get this excited about. Trying to go in as level headed as possible, it would be easy to get ahead of myself and let excitement shadow logic.

Which is why I got a degree in Economics and not Aeronautical Science. It's the risk you take in the industry. Right now, it's booming. A few years ago it was awful. And don't listen to people saying you'll never be home. My buddy who is working for another airline has 20 days off this month and has all day trips on his schedule. I'm guaranteed 11 days off a month. I get to fly a jet that goes 500 mph while I'm 22 years old. It's a job that people only dream of doing. Don't let others discourage you!

You inspire me! I'm thinking this is the route to take, as im already far into my degree, almost done with the AA in marketing, and am interested in coming back to the field if it all indeed goes south. But I can really see being a career aviator, and it's what I know I want for/from myself.

And I thank you for the information.

No sweat. :) Honestly, I try not to get too hard core about my advice because I'm not a young pup in this game anymore (as much as I'd like to think so!), and much of the conventional wisdom changes as the industry changes. Fortunately there are some young regional guys like Jordan on PoA that can give you better advice about coming up through the ranks in today's industry.

One other piece of advice though - enjoy the process. Don't forget about the journey because you're too focused on the end game. Some of the best times in my career were when I was a broke CFI, sweating and bouncing around in the Texas heat all day, but grilling and drinking beer at the flight school in the evening.

You inspire me! I'm thinking this is the route to take, as im already far into my degree, almost done with the AA in marketing, and am interested in coming back to the field if it all indeed goes south. But I can really see being a career aviator, and it's what I know I want for/from myself.
Go for it man! Worst case is you try it, hate it, then go back to what you're doing. Best case is you'll love it and won't have any regrets.

No sweat. :) Honestly, I try not to get too hard core about my advice because I'm not a young pup in this game anymore (as much as I'd like to think so!), and much of the conventional wisdom changes as the industry changes. Fortunately there are some young regional guys like Jordan on PoA that can give you better advice about coming up through the ranks in today's industry.

One other piece of advice though - enjoy the process. Don't forget about the journey because you're too focused on the end game. Some of the best times in my career were when I was a broke CFI, sweating and bouncing around in the Texas heat all day, but grilling and drinking beer at the flight school in the evening.

I will be sure not to get ahead of myself and enjoy the journey. If im flying whether I am a newbie learning, teaching, or flying for cash, I know i will be having the time of my life, especially remembering to grill with a beer at the end of the day with the guys/gals.

Will say, this forum's responsiveness is commendable. Good community here.

You can get by without a degree at a regional but if you want to be competitive at a major you'll have at least a bachelor's.

Absolutely...the value is in having "A" degree. My point being that the degree in a filed OTHER than aviation specifically will not hinder career advancement as a pilot. It is the fact that you have an accredited degree that counts for most.

Absolutely...the value is in having "A" degree. My point being that the degree in a filed OTHER than aviation specifically will not hinder career advancement as a pilot. It is the fact that you have an accredited degree that counts for most.
Exactly. It sucks because a lot of people don't know that they don't need the aviation degree.

Exactly. It sucks because a lot of people don't know that they don't need the aviation degree.

So it seems like I will continue through the program I have already begun (Communications and Marketing) as that is where my career experience is also, and bust ass the FBO to acquire ratings one by one. I like the idea of that more than going waist deep in debt. This way I will limit it to knee deep or lower. Haha

Thank you guys for all the advice

Back