Cabin Power

hamer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
hamer
Certified power sources are rather expensive, for what they are. Is using something like this legal considering it isn't a permanent installation?

I don't need it to power anything mission critical, just the occasional phone top off, etc. I know the danger is I leave it plugged in and drain my battery, but that's a minimal risk, I'll just add it to the checklist.

14206.JPG

I don’t know if you fly with an iPad or Stratus or anything similar but how do you power them if the battery is low?

I don’t know if you fly with an iPad or Stratus or anything similar but how do you power them if the battery is low?
I fly with an iPad that uses an external GPS. My longest day of flying was 8.7 hours from Chewelah, WA to Boulder City, NV, when i landed my iPad had 43% battery. I can’t imagine needing more juice than that. However is that the cutoff? If needed for iPad or ADSB in it must be a certified, permanent power source?

I’ve got one of these. It comes with a kit that has several different adapters for phones and tablets and even a small pair of jumper cables. It lasts for awhile on a full charge too!

86273DB2-F0A8-434C-9807-9887D820F5AD.jpeg

There is no FAA power requirement for portable positional awareness equipment. For USB-A devices, Stratus makes a nice high capacity in-panel charger. I have mine mounted in the center console for powering tablets or phones. My portable GPS is connected to permanent ships power via a dedicated mounting bracket.

Certified power sources are rather expensive, for what they are. Is using something like this legal considering it isn't a permanent installation?

I don't need it to power anything mission critical, just the occasional phone top off, etc. I know the danger is I leave it plugged in and drain my battery, but that's a minimal risk, I'll just add it to the checklist.

14206.JPG

I am going to take a guess...that it is not legal. Or maybe I should say its seems to not compy and your insurance company many not cover you.

I am only basing it on the fact the lower plug looks like it to plugs onto a battery quick disconnect (like a tender!) and the other end looks like a cig lighter adapter. But there does not appear to be a fuse anywhere? I thought what makes plugging a iPad into the cig lighter on the plane legal/compliant is that the cig lighter is via a fuse or breaker which is required for it to be connected to the ships power.

I'm probably wrong...but a fuse might be a good idea either way.

I’ve got one of these. It comes with a kit that has several different adapters for phones and tablets and even a small pair of jumper cables. It lasts for awhile on a full charge too!

View attachment 69592

I have one of those as well, I like to keep it topped off and ready to use in case I need to jump start.

I am going to take a guess...that it is not legal. Or maybe I should say its seems to not compy and your insurance company many not cover you.

I am only basing it on the fact the lower plug looks like it to plugs onto a battery quick disconnect (like a tender!) and the other end looks like a cig lighter adapter. But there does not appear to be a fuse anywhere? I thought what makes plugging a iPad into the cig lighter on the plane legal/compliant is that the cig lighter is via a fuse or breaker which is required for it to be connected to the ships power.

There is a fuse on the battery side connector.

I guess my question is, I know typically with panel powered you need and A&P install/sign off. I don't want panel because I don't want the cord exit caught up in the controls. And I'm assuming because this isn't a permanent install it's legal, but that might be false. I would only be plugging it in on flights where I know I need it.

If you alter your electrical system it will almost certainly need to be signed off by an A&P, and a fuse or CB will certainly be required for a safe and compliant installation.

For just the occasional phone top off I'd recommend a battery 'power bank' instead of one of messing with that kind of wiring. Keeps it simple, and you can travel other places with it very easily.
There are ton's on the market, some very large capacity...and will probably run your ipad, phone, or portable GPS for many many hours.
I carry 2 smaller ones, and have yet to need the second one.
The jump start kit also is a good choice.

Also some solar chargers available if you're into that.

Last edited:
Is using something like this legal considering it isn't a permanent installation?
It all depends how you connect it to the aircraft electrical system. For example, it plugs into an existing lighter receptacle then you're good to go. But if you plan to connect it direct to the electrical system then not legal. If aircraft as no lighter plug in then have your mechanic install a couple lighter plugins as a minor then you can plug in anything you want provided it doesn't exceed the amperage limits of the receptacle.

I fly with an iPad that uses an external GPS. My longest day of flying was 8.7 hours from Chewelah, WA to Boulder City, NV, when i landed my iPad had 43% battery. I can’t imagine needing more juice than that. However is that the cutoff? If needed for iPad or ADSB in it must be a certified, permanent power source?

My point was that if you are using the cigarette lighter receptacle for a USB adapter to power/charge your iPad or Stratus then you should already have the ability to power or charge your phone. I use something similar to this.

But if you don't have a cigarette lighter receptacle or want a more elegant solution, you can have your A&P install one of these.

Back