c172 vs Sr-20

cyclepro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Cyclepro
Hi, so im going to college in the fall for aviation and and another major. Im currently trying to decide between two schools but im curious, which is better for training a cessna 172 or Cirrus sr-20. I will already have a ppl going into it so ill be getting the rest of my certificates in them.

The aircraft make/model isn't nearly as important as the quality of the training (both flight and classroom, both aviation and non-aviation). Worry about that, and think about aircraft type only if you cannot find any other difference in the two schools.

Take your PPL + take the pile of money that would go to a college flight program buy a C-150 and enroll in any sleep away college. Now you get to be the only college student with a pilots license and a plane. Have fun, thank me later. Oh if you are so inclined pick up your other ratings from a freelance CFI inbetween taking ladies for mile high flights. Cirrus in a flight program with all those dispatch rules or having a C-150 and autonomy the choice is simple, don't screw it up.

The aircraft make/model isn't nearly as important as the quality of the training (both flight and classroom, both aviation and non-aviation). Worry about that, and think about aircraft type only if you cannot find any other difference in the two schools.
:yes:

Take your PPL + take the pile of money that would go to a college flight program buy a C-150 and enroll in any sleep away college. Now you get to be the only college student with a pilots license and a plane. Have fun, thank me later. Oh if you are so inclined pick up your other ratings from a freelance CFI inbetween taking ladies for mile high flights. Cirrus in a flight program with all those dispatch rules or having a C-150 and autonomy the choice is simple, don't screw it up.

This this a thousand times this...if I was to do the aviation college thing again, I'd put that money into a 150 or a Cherokee 140 or something similar, acquire my ratings, and build time and real world experience. In other words, I'd Dave White it.

More on topic though, a 172 will make a better pilot 9 times out of 10.

They are both glass cockpits and why do you say that c172 will make a better pilot? I'm currently getting my ppl in a c172 so I'm curious

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

This this a thousand times this...if I was to do the aviation college thing again, I'd put that money into a 150 or a Cherokee 140 or something similar, acquire my ratings, and build time and real world experience. In other words, I'd Dave White it.

More on topic though, a 172 will make a better pilot 9 times out of 10.

Yeeeeeeah boiiiiiiii

Although the airplane didn't get me laid as much as it should have. I was a social tard for awhile.

It all worked out alright. I should be a 135 Captain up in Bethel before the end of the week.

They are both glass cockpits and why do you say that c172 will make a better pilot? I'm currently getting my ppl in a c172 so I'm curious

Having flown both, I'd say that for training, both planes would be fine. As was said, the quality of instruction is a more important factor.

For cross country flights with passengers, however, the SR20 is vastly preferable because of speed and comfort.

I have extensive time in both...easier to learn in 172. Cirrus has poor (but improving)accident record, is less forgiving of pilot erro, and generally requires more advanced skills. Learn faster, save money: start in 172 and then transition if you must fly Cirrus.

I have another thread asking which college to go to and keep getting the same response on both threads saying don't waste time or money and get my ratings at a flight school or buy a plane. Why should i not go to college?

College has debatable value these days, college flight programs are a ripoff no question. Going to college without racking up debt is OK, just don't get ratings through a college.

I was thinking about air traffic control or aviation maintenance as well as getting ratings through them

I have another thread asking which college to go to and keep getting the same response on both threads saying don't waste time or money and get my ratings at a flight school or buy a plane. Why should i not go to college?

Definitely go to college if you have the aptitude and the intelligence. There is much benefit in learning how to learn in an academic environment, your lifetime earnings will be much higher, and, you may find out you like something completely different than what you were thinking.

They have a different aircraft's but they are the same complex at each school. The initial trainers are the only difference.

Here goes the whole college debate again...I can say for myself not going to college is the best decision I have ever made. Higher Ed comes at the expense of real life experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one has asked yet: what did you fly for your PPL and how did you like it?

The biggest difference is low wing/high wing and you will get as many opinions on that as there are pilots...

No one has asked yet: what did you fly for your PPL and how did you like it?

The biggest difference is low wing/high wing and you will get as many opinions on that as there are pilots...

He's flying a 172 he said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the OP: you asked why people were recommending against college. Here's a quick quote from another site that might answer the question:

My roommate is finishing up his BS Degree at Embry-Riddle with a Multi-engine commercial rating. He'll be in over $160,000 of debt and he's looking at a job with starting pay at $16/hr. I'm pretty sure that's Hobbs time.
That's...painful. If you're looking to fly for a living then there might be better, more cost-effective ways of building time that look better on a resume. Or not, but you should keep the costs in perspective.

Re: college in general. College is good. It teaches you how to learn, how to teach yourself, and how to think. It shows employers that (at a minimum) you can commit to something for four years and stick to it.

My personal recommendation would be to get a liberal arts degree just to get more perspective on life, with the understanding that job training will need to come from someplace else (master's degree, etc.) But don't pay insane rates for it. Live with your parents, pay local tuition, and do like my CFI is doing (instruct on the side for $40 cash per hour) to build time if you want to fly as a profession. Not a bad gig for a 19 year old (though I wish I could find an older CFI who was instructing because he loved it.)

If nothing else a college degree will give you additional options if you can no longer pass a physical, or if your wife gets pregnant with surprise triplets and pilot's pay is no longer sufficient...

My personal recommendation would be to get a liberal arts degree just to get more perspective on life, with the understanding that job training will need to come from someplace else (master's degree, etc.) But don't pay insane rates for it. Live with your parents, pay local tuition, and do like my CFI is doing (instruct on the side for $40 cash per hour) to build time if you want to fly as a profession. Not a bad gig for a 19 year old (though I wish I could find an older CFI who was instructing because he loved it.)

If nothing else a college degree will give you additional options if you can no longer pass a physical, or if your wife gets pregnant with surprise triplets and pilot's pay is no longer sufficient...

Get an engineering degree, good pay, more opportunities, more options, directly applicable to aviation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get an engineering degree, good pay, more opportunities, more options, directly applicable to aviation.

That's what I would recommend. But I'm biased.

IF there is the aptitude and intelligence to complete an Engineering degree. (Or any other degree). The science and technical degrees are tough roads, and not everyone can get thru Differential Equqtions and Thermal Dynamics..

Roadside is littered with lots who couldn't hack it, then a much more difficult hill to climb.

I was talking, recently, with a geologist at Shell Oil. They are in heavy demand, being paid outrageous amounts to sign on and start working. And, they have a problem in that current geologists are all nearing retirement, hired on in the oil boom of 70's and early 80's. Then there was a couple of decades the oil industry wasn't hiring and it has resulted in a lack of managers/employees of certain age / experience structures.

It's hard to build time in an airplane that goes 145 knots. Assuming you care about building time? As far as the glass versus non glass. Who cares? The Helicopter I fly in the Army has some really advanced glass and avionics and is equally as capable as the older models with steam gauges. Not to mention, they both lift the same amount, go the same speed, and lift the same amount +/-. Go 172.

College is good, and essentially a pre-requisite for any professional job with a few exceptions. All things being equal, a candidate with a college degree will always be preferred over one without.

The important take-away is that flight training through university programs are often much more expensive than doing on your own.

Most employers for flying jobs don't care were you did your flight training (except my former traffic plane employer, who refused to even talk to anyone who did their training at Riddle) so do it as safely and cheaply as possible. By the way, safe and cheap are not necessarily mutually exclusive in the flight training world. Flying clubs are a good way to accomplish this.

Good luck. To answer your original question...it doesn't really matter; everything else being equal, go with whichever option is cheaper.

If only I could record the audio of what I've heard when flying to/from/around eastern Florida. I'd give anyone who is contemplating knocking out their pilot ratings with riddle a taste of what it's like to hear some butt-chewing from ATC. I'm sure they are littered with exceptional talent and highly experienced instructors and staff... But from what I've witnessed on the radio would beg to differ. Busting airspace, punching in IMC without a clearance, not know frequencies for destination airport, flying wrong headings and altitudes. Just beware of what you're getting yourself into. I've just done my degree from ERAU there and happy I never did the flying program which I took under advice of other graduates.

The two schools I'm looking at are university of north dakota and western Michigan university. I'm not looking to live with my parents till I'm 35 due to debt. And I couldn't get into riddle if I tried. And I was going to major in either atc or aircraft maintenance. They both seem to pay well and if I decide to own a plane it cuts down on costs.

IF there is the aptitude and intelligence to complete an Engineering degree. (Or any other degree). The science and technical degrees are tough roads, and not everyone can get thru Differential Equqtions and Thermal Dynamics..

Roadside is littered with lots who couldn't hack it, then a much more difficult hill to climb.

I was talking, recently, with a geologist at Shell Oil. They are in heavy demand, being paid outrageous amounts to sign on and start working. And, they have a problem in that current geologists are all nearing retirement, hired on in the oil boom of 70's and early 80's. Then there was a couple of decades the oil industry wasn't hiring and it has resulted in a lack of managers/employees of certain age / experience structures.

:yeahthat: there is nothing wrong with a vocational school. My neighbor is a plumber and makes more per year than his engineer neighbors. Another friend is a welder, does very well. Machinist? Great job, many positions available for those who know what they are doing, ie have attended a trade school.

Re: college in general. College is good. It teaches you how to learn, how to teach yourself, and how to think. It shows employers that (at a minimum) you can commit to something for four years and stick to it.
There. Fixed it for you. Maybe years ago the other sentence would apply. Now they just try to teach you what to think, not how.

It's hard to build time in an airplane that goes 145 knots.
I would have absolutely no problem building time on something that goes so slow. :wink2:

As far as the glass versus non glass. Who cares?
I care, specially if this glass comes with synthetic vision - big safety factor me, in IFR, at night, etc., less butterflies in my stomach.

I would have absolutely no problem building time on something that goes so slow. :wink2:

I care, specially if this glass comes with synthetic vision - big safety factor me, in IFR, at night, etc., less butterflies in my stomach.

OP is talking about a university flight program they aren't going to let him play in nasty conditions.

OP is talking about a university flight program they aren't going to let him play in nasty conditions.
Is night-VFR nasty enough?

If I were attending say Embry-Riddle in Prescott, AZ I sure wouldn't mind synthetic vision.

My choice is between either University of North Dakota or Western Michigan University. Both schools have glass cockpits. I'm currently training in a c172 with steam gauges. I've flown in both glass cockpits and steam. I'm not sure if they have synthetic vision. It seems like 172 is the best way to go.

My choice is between either University of North Dakota or Western Michigan University. Both schools have glass cockpits. I'm currently training in a c172 with steam gauges. I've flown in both glass cockpits and steam. I'm not sure if they have synthetic vision. It seems like 172 is the best way to go.
My .02 like others have mentioned. Get a degree NOT related to aviation. Business Administration, Engineering, and Computer Science are all practical degrees. I'm a junior in college studying Economics and flying on the side. I will graduate with NO debt and have most, if not all of ratings that you will get by the time you graduate. Did I mention I won't be in debt. ZERO loans.

Are either one of those two schools located in a place you would care to spend 4 years of your life?

They seem like horrible places to live, unless you really like to ____________ (I can't even think of what they would be good places to be able to ski, surf, hunt, fish, sail, chase females....)

My .02 like others have mentioned. Get a degree NOT related to aviation. Business Administration, Engineering, and Computer Science are all practical degrees. I'm a junior in college studying Economics and flying on the side. I will graduate with NO debt and have most, if not all of ratings that you will get by the time you graduate. Did I mention I won't be in debt. ZERO loans.

Can i ask how you managed no debt? and i was going to get a degree in something else as well as aviation. I would be double majoring. not entirely sure in what yet but still getting two degrees. It's a toss up between Aviation maintenance, atc, computer science, or law enforcement.

Join the military, if you can, and pick a technical job. Do your 4 years, get out, and use the skills they taught you to work through school. Maximize your student loans and put money in market, dividen stocks, then when graduate, pay off the loans.

Back