C172 Price

evapilotaz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Drone airspace abuser
Is this a good price for this airplane? This belongs to a FBO that closed its doors and now has this up for sale. I personally have flown this airplane. I'm not really in the buyers market right now. Just wondering

This seems High priced for the amount of airframe time and the amount of hours on TSMOH.

I cannot post a link from Barnstormer to POH for some reason.

Also this was abused by Students.

http://www.barnstormers.com/listing_images.php?id=1106408

1979 CESSNA 172N• $49,000 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE 1979 Cessna 172N TTAF 8112.9, TSMOH 1283.1. Engine compressions 78/80 77/80 77/80 77/80, clean oil, all AD's current. annual due May 2016. Reupholstered interior, paint in good shape, exterior plastic new, climb prop. Radios: King KX155 NAV/COM x 2, King DME, Garmin GTX327 transponder, iFly700 GPS, Davtron clock. Aircraft very well taken care of, flown regularly, squawks handled immediately, have all maintenance logs, no corrosion, aircraft based in the dry Arizona climate. Aircraft ready to fly home today. • Contact - WINGS270, Owner - located Gilbert, AZ USA • . • Posted February 16, 2016 Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Pictures

Attachments

• cessna172.GIF
    cessna172.GIF
    78.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
For a mid-time engine? When was it last overhauled? How frequently does it fly? For a 172 that seems awfully high, by like, $12K if not more.

Not enough information to really decide, but based on those numbers, no, it's not a good price (in my opinion).

They have a panel-mounted GPS that isn't approved for anything other than general navigation, crappy radios, no autopilot, high airframe time.

Hell, I'm selling my Cherokee for around that price and I've got WAAAAY more than they have in that plane. No chance.

Last edited:
Seems high to me too. Why do you ask? There are a lot of overpriced aircraft listed for sale at any given time.

Engine has a little time on it, airframe has some time too but that's not as much of a issue, it's not a /G and the avionics are lacking, plus it doesn't have anything special, not a 180hp conversion, not a XP, just a quite basic plane Jane 172.

I'd say it's a little over priced, I'd want to see some pictures and go over it a little, but unless their is some hidden jewel not seen in that post it wouldn't be a listing I'd probably even bother to call and lowball. That said, who wants a 172 anyways?

* just clicked the pictures link, yeah, I mean the upholstery looks nice, but Im not seeing that type of asking price

Last edited:
I cannot post a link from Barnstormer to POH for some reason.

As if being able to post a link to barnstormers would have added any clarity to the ad.

Is there a UX/UI person here that will go offer to overhaul Barnstormers.com?
I want to look at their content but can't stand the experience.

Sounds way too high to me. For comparison, I paid $53k for a 79 172N in 2014. Mine had a little over 3k hours total and a mid time engine with a recent top end. Included 2 axis autopilot, aux fuel tank, 180 HP conversion, Garmin 296 hard wired, among other upgrades.

As if being able to post a link to barnstormers would have added any clarity to the ad.

Is there a UX/UI person here that will go offer to overhaul Barnstormers.com?
I want to look at their content but can't stand the experience.

I could probably fix that site for them pretty quickly, but yes, I agree it's painful to go through. I have an adblocker on firefox and everytime I go there it blocks something like 62 ads per page. We're not talking plane ads, more like swag (sunglasses, etc).

David, you know what they say. Something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

So if you're willing to pay 50K for it, then it's worth it (to you at least) :)

I guess I'm more emotionally attached to this airplane more than anything. Took my youngest first time in a GA airplane in this airplane.

I'd bet you could get a good deal on it, with that plane and at that price most folks are just going to scroll on by.

Give them a call or stop by, have a conversation, let them know you like the plane for the reasons you stated, you'd ideally like /G, AP, etc etc, but you still like it, don't think they are going to sell it for that price and ask if it's OK to check in later. Call back in a month and ask if they sold it yet, "what? Really? No one bought it?!"

Rinse and repeat.

I'd wager after a couple months you'll ether get it for 15k ish less then that asking price, or you won't and no one will buy it and it will just become another ramp mummy.

Personally, when you have planes like the PA28 for sale by the other member in this post, nearly the same price and decked out, even though 172s seem to command a little more money than PA28s, if it were me I'd only take that 172 for 30k at the absolute most, and that's OTD. The amount of $$$ it would take to make her a /G and the time left before recommended overhaul, plus the blah paint, 30k is the most Id touch that thing for and that would be with great reservation.

Last edited:
I guess I'm more emotionally attached to this airplane more than anything. Took my youngest first time in a GA airplane in this airplane.

Uh oh! Leave emotion out of it if you want to buy it. Look around, there are better 172s around especially at that price. If you really want it offer them 20-30% less than asking price and work up from there.

Looks like a nice 172. We paid about $40K for a similarly equipped L with a freshly rebuilt engine two years ago. When airplane shopping I didn't look at any Ns though. For me the N in 172N meant No. This is only because of the Lycoming O-320H2AD engine with the letters AD in it. I know the troubles with that engine have been solved and its current reputation as an engine to avoid is mostly hype and folklore but I just didn't want to go there. I'd expect the market for an N would be slightly lower than a comparable L or M if it still has the H2AD, even though it has an extra 10 HP and is probably an excellent engine.

Dave

You can buy a conti-powered 172 with a recent overhaul, low hours, and in good shape for about half that much. The lycoming powered 172s are a lot more, and not sure why.

The conti-ones are a bit slower, but I absolutely love the 2 doors and room for "stuff" and it fits my mission perfectly. On a 60 degree day, I've taken up 3 people and two small dogs no problem, but wouldn't do that in the summer.

If you just want 4 seats and a lycoming and don't need fancy radios, buy a Cherokee and save $20k.

Just shooting from the hip, I'd call that a $30k airplane.

You can buy a conti-powered 172 with a recent overhaul, low hours, and in good shape for about half that much. The lycoming powered 172s are a lot more, and not sure why.

The conti-ones are a bit slower, but I absolutely love the 2 doors and room for "stuff" and it fits my mission perfectly. On a 60 degree day, I've taken up 3 people and two small dogs no problem, but wouldn't do that in the summer.

If you just want 4 seats and a lycoming and don't need fancy radios, buy a Cherokee and save $20k.

I wouldn't buy one of those, there is a reason they are cheap, I flew the six banger conti 172 for a bit at a school I worked at, what a dog.

If you're going 172 you want a 4 banger lyc 150+ HP, frankly I'd personally only be looking at 180HP and XPs, and that's if I was even looking at a 172.

Offer him 35k or lower if you dare. Then take it to a mechanic somewhere other than his airport. He cant be present when you pay that mechanic to do a compression test. Check the plane for corrosion and see what doesnt work (usually something). Negotiate a price and get title insurance/closing. Fly it home, or have him deliver it. Expect to have to fix some stuff, maintenance is ongoing affair. Be financially prepared to overhaul the engine. Those engines can go 3000 hours though if they still have over 70 compression at 1200 ET.

If you dare? I doubt the guy is going to attack him with a axe or something :lol:

I'd say you were budgeting 25k, but know it's more plane than that, let him say the first number, wouldn't go above 30 OTD once all was said and done.

That 30k is as in as advertised, if work needs to be done its on the owners tab. As far as OHing the engine, engines don't often blow up with no warning signs, this is where a REAL prebuy comes in, done by a good craftsman APIA.

30k OTD, in the exact condition he described in the advertisement.

I'd also have the owner there for the compression test! If it comes up shy of what he said, giving him that look, or asking him to look at the gauge, that might take the steam out of his high dollar sails.

Last edited:
The owner is a real nice Guy. He owns the FBO he closed down to pursue other interest. I was shock it was such a high price. I wanted to confirm that was truly too much to ask for with you guys. You all have been helpful.

Avoid the N models... Unless it's a low time with the 180hp conversion. You'll have a hard time getting financing too.... The L and M models book out higher....for a reason!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...or make a offer, you never know!

So basically get a N model for cheap or pass all together.

Exactly. I have 50ish hours in Novembers. Both times I have been completely FUBARed by an airplane have been in an N. Flew a nice 180hp for about 3 hrs. No complaints there...

I like 172s ,however I think this one is overpriced. Not well equipped. If it had a 180 upgrade may be worth looking at.

I did my checkride in that airplane. It's also the plane that had the electrical fail on my on my first flight after getting my ticket. Of the three 172's at that FBO, it was my favorite. But I completely recognize it's emotional attachment.

There is no way I would pay $50k for that plane.

I'm just shopping around and dreaming. I would like to purchase something within the Next 6 months if things pan out life wise.

The good news is that at a $49k price tag it will likely still be for sale in 6 months when you're ready to buy.

Avoid the N models... Unless it's a low time with the 180hp conversion. You'll have a hard time getting financing too.... The L and M models book out higher....for a reason!

I bought an M model with better radios and fewer hours for much less than that. Much less. Put almost 70 hours on it so far this year.

I did my checkride in that airplane. It's also the plane that had the electrical fail on my on my first flight after getting my ticket. Of the three 172's at that FBO, it was my favorite. But I completely recognize it's emotional attachment.

There is no way I would pay $50k for that plane.

93e was my favorite. I like blue.

Bought my 1975 IFR M model with 5K airframe and 980 SMOH for 29,900 in july.

Just shooting from the hip, I'd call that a $30k airplane.

Without seeing it in person that's about where I would be with it. It would be a project plane though, sell the engine.. replace with a 180, upgrade the avionics to get GPS IFR certified and put a STOL kit on it... actually I guess that's pretty much what I did on mine.

Back