C172 Price

Bought my 1975 IFR M model with 5K airframe and 980 SMOH for 29,900 in july.

Sub-$30k on a '75 IFR M with <1000 SMOH? Sounds too good to be true. All original paint/interior/avionics? Title/damage history? Was that advertised, or just through someone you know? Great deal! You don't have to answer all of that...just curious as it's a fantastic price otherwise.

Sub-$30k on a '75 IFR M with <1000 SMOH? Sounds too good to be true. All original paint/interior/avionics? Title/damage history? Was that advertised, or just through someone you know? Great deal! You don't have to answer all of that...just curious as it's a fantastic price otherwise.

Those numbers don't really mean much out of context. How long since the Overhaul? Any damage history? How frequently has it flown?

And yeah, avionics/paint, etc also matter as you asked. I love when people look at the plane I'm selling and go well, I can get a 180 for 45K today why is yours 10K more? Because they don't pay attention to anything but the overhaul number, TTAF and year of the plane.

Those numbers don't really mean much out of context. How long since the Overhaul? Any damage history? How frequently has it flown?

And yeah, avionics/paint, etc also matter as you asked. I love when people look at the plane I'm selling and go well, I can get a 180 for 45K today why is yours 10K more? Because they don't pay attention to anything but the overhaul number, TTAF and year of the plane.

Exactly - very well put.

I don't know, that sounds about right...vref says with those numbers ~$37,000, so it's actually not too far off. The key on plane pricing is to ignore about 65% of listings. A lot of listing are based on generational expectations from too long ago. The "new generation" views planes more like cars...depreciating assets, but with utility, and has not seen appreciating pricing for the ~12 years they've been flying. When you get a pilot who's used to seeing prices appreciate trying to sell a plane to someone who sees it as a depreciating asset you have a disconnect in price, which is why listed prices (especially for planes that have been listed for a long time) can be so much higher than reality, but some people do see planes as depreciating assets and those tend to be listed more for what is seems like planes are selling for. Back in the before time, because prices were appreciating you could "high-ball" someone and because waiting meant paying more they might pay more to get into plane ownership (like real estate in the early 00s). Now waiting means paying less so you have a lot of zombie listings.

Another airplane being sold by the same FBO went out of business.

I also have several hours in this airplane. This one also seems overpriced

http://www.barnstormers.com/listing_images.php?id=1107598

1979 CESSNA 172N• $58,000 •AVAILABLE FOR SALE•1979 Cessna 172N TTAF 4961 TSMOH 287.2 Compressions 77/80, 77/80, 78/80, 77/80, oil clean, all ADs current, Annual due May 2016. Reupholstered seats, King KV196 COMM x 2, King KN53 NAVs x 2, King KN 62A DME (remote toggle between NAV1 & 2), King KA57 ADF, Garmin GX327 XPDR, Davtron 803, Davtron Chronometer, Davtron 5 function indicator M655, Power Flow exhaust (brings HP to 177 - noticeable climb and cruise performance increase). Most exterior plastic replaced with Knots2U fiberglass parts. Straight flying airplane. Aircraft spent most of its life in Southern CA, now in Arizona. • ContactJason McCrea-WINGS270, Owner - located Gilbert, AZ USA • • Posted February 20, 2016

Still has the 320-H2AD. This one makes the other one seem like a bargain!

So it's got a newer transponder. No GPS/ADS-B..... Other than that the radio stack is of no value.

Power flow is a nice addition, but it adds little value to the troublesome motor it's attached to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe we need a new thread for all these overpriced aircraft? If you put a 172 up for sale in the 50K range, it better have more in it then a GTX 327...

Always seems people price planes based on their appearance, meaning paint and interior. Those are the cheapest and easiest things to fix. Redoing the paint and interior of my plane cost as much as the GTN650 that was installed.

Always seems people price planes based on their appearance, meaning paint and interior. Those are the cheapest and easiest things to fix. Redoing the paint and interior of my plane cost as much as the GTN650 that was installed.

Man..ain't that the truth :). I've got about the best IFR panel you can get for my aircraft (non glass) and still people harp on about the paint. The interior is fine too, but man if your plane doesn't look like it came off the showroom floor people immediately put a low value on it right out of the gate..

Maybe we need a new thread for all these overpriced aircraft? If you put a 172 up for sale in the 50K range, it better have more in it then a GTX 327...
For a low-time engine and airframe, vref will put quite a few north of $50k. If it has a 430W, it's easy to get a vref up there.

For a low-time engine and airframe, vref will put quite a few north of $50k. If it has a 430W, it's easy to get a vref up there.

Really?!? For a 172? Wow, I think I'm under-pricing my Cherokee 180 then....

Really?!? For a 172? Wow, I think I'm under-pricing my Cherokee 180 then....

Vref is junk... A guy a couple hangars down from me picked up a nice Cherokee 180 for about 75K, clean, low engine time, active flying... had a 530 in it and maybe some other things. Solid plane.

Back