C-130 Crash Savannah

Just came to post it. I imagine there is no way out of that plane like there is a fighter jet.

Looks like it went in pretty hard.

Hopefully there are survivors but it doesn't look good.

Davis-Monthan? Going for spare parts, or going to be spare parts?
Wow. I see there are active units there. I thought they were storage only these days.
I hope the crew is OK.

My hangar partner saw it...he is on the ground in Savannah...he flew 130's for a career for the USAF...

He says is looked tough to survive...but I hope he is wrong...

This hits close to home...condolences to the families

Such sad news. The only mission left in PR is the old C130, prayers to crew and family

Brutal, Thoughts and Prayers....

My hangar partner saw it...he is on the ground in Savannah...he flew 130's for a career for the USAF...

He says is looked tough to survive...but I hope he is wrong...

Did he have any more details? Looks like it had a problem after takeoff and tried to put it down on the median between a 4 lane road. I can't imagine what... must have been something catastrophic like a prop coming apart.

folks on the red board are saying it appeared to be a Vmc roll...nose first.....with two engines out.

Two engines out, simultaneously, in a C130. Guessing that would be first.

Last edited:
Nose down AOA, and then a Vmc roll?

A fatal mistake,may they Rest In Peace.

Always the comments from the on lookers that “the pilot tried to avoid hitting people on the ground.” No, that aircraft lost directional control and there’s nothing the pilot on the controls could do to avoid people on the ground.

RIP

Just saw a video on the nightly news,looks like vmc roll.

However you would think that any engine failure work at low altitudes would be done in a sim these days.
Depends. Most of the Air Force Instructions require Emergency Procedures to be performed in the simulator, with one caveat. If your base doesn’t have a simulator, you are allowed to perform EPs in the airplane. My unit was one that didn’t have a sim, so we could do simulated engine out training in the plane. There is definitely value added to being able to do both.

Could it have been a real failure related to the constant back and forth flights to Puerto Rico and possibily deferred maintenace issues due to lack of funding for the island? Yea, there is a lot in that sentence.

Reports now saying the 130 belonging to the PRANG was one of their old birds, being flown to Arizona for no-kidding retirement. The incredible irony if true.

The 156th got the E models when they lost the A model Falcons. The article doesn't say if it indeed was an E model, but the spokesman quoted as saying it's not news that PR was flying the oldest Herks, which as of 1998 at least was factually correct.

That has personal significance in my life as I was rushing my hometown unit with the intention of flying 16s after completing my studies at Georgia Tech. I got a phone call from the adjutant general from PR (my father was a personal acquaintance) explaining their plans to change the mission. I shortly thereafter moved on to seek for viper units in the CONUS and never really inquired beyond that point. I do recall remarking even back then what an insanity it was to still be flying those E models with their cracking wing boxes. From my understanding, the PRANG has been flying Whiskeys and Hs for a while now when they re-shuffled them out of Biloxi, and few if none of the E models remain. An incredible tragedy. It is also noteworthy that the stopover in Savannah was apparently for mx enroute to Arizona.

That has personal significance in my life as I was rushing my hometown unit with the intention of flying 16s after completing my studies at Georgia Tech.
What degree did you get? I'm going to try to transfer there from a local college in 2 years

Two engines out, simultaneously, in a C130. Guessing that would be first.
Russians switched off 3 on An-10, in a publicity stunt (the 10/12 is very much like the 130 in many ways). A few years later, an A-10A lost 3 out of 4 thanks to icing and rolled it in. It's all in pilots being ready or caught flat-footed. If 1 side hits a bunch of geese, I can see losing 2 engines. Happened to Sully, you know. It was a bad deal in Georgia today. R.I.P.

What degree did you get? Going to try to transfer there from a local college in 2 years

Funny you brought that up. I didn't. Very much coincident with my disillusionment with the loss of the Vipers from my hometown unit, I also became rather disillusioned with the dynamics of getting an undergraduate engineering degree at Georgia Tech. Long story short, I pulled handles outta that place and transferred at the end of my junior year, 3 hours west to the bona fide party school flagship campus called the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Talk about culture shock for a Rican kid lol; 3 years in Atlanta was really child's play since I grew up in an urban place back home.

At any rate, to your question, I didn't change majors either. I merely transferred my credits and finished the degree. Aerospace Engineering in my case. Never used it. Got a master's on the same at Purdue, that one was free on work-study, didn't use it either. Tech is a great research institution, though I don't really consider them honest brokers when it comes to an undergraduate education, in terms of teaching. It's mostly weed-out factories for graduate labor pool. But that doesn't really matter for a local kid, as long as you remain in the South, it holds relatively decent name recognition for vocational traction. For somebody paying in-state tuition, it makes perfect sense. For someone like me paying the de facto "immigration tax" of out-of-state tuition, not so much.

Doing the basics at the cheaper CC is a really good plan. I had several classmates on that track. They did fine and saved a good clip of money. As an educator at the university level for a short time myself, I also dare say the quality of teaching at the CC was much more hands on by the instructor and probably of higher value to an undergraduate student, than the hand me down sink or swim you get at the big name schools by a professor who is gone half the lectures because he's too busy trolling for grant money. Tech was riddled with that dynamic. Don't get me started on the student visa slave labor pseudo extortion racket of their majority foreigner graduate student population. I digress.

Russians switched off 3 on An-10, in a publicity stunt (the 10/12 is very much like the 130 in many ways). A few years later, an A-10A lost 3 out of 4 thanks to icing and rolled it in. It's all in pilots being ready or caught flat-footed. If 1 side hits a bunch of geese, I can see losing 2 engines. Happened to Sully, you know. It was a bad deal in Georgia today. R.I.P.

I was referring specifically to the C-130. Can you site an example where two engines shut down simultaneously, without intent, on a C-130.

Really hits home as my unit went through this in 2012 when we lost a C-130 due to a crash (MAFFS 7, NCANG). I feel terrible for the PR ANG. It’s a long road to recovery and will effect their unit for years to come.

I hope that it was mechanical and not pilot error. The PR guys have been the flying the oldest 130 in the AF’s inventory and mission completion rates were very low in comparison. These planes are not even deployable due to a number of reasons (not having an MWS) is the primary but they have wing box issues and are weight restricted. Needless to say- they are beat up.

Thoughts and prayers for them. It’s a tough road ahead.

Funny you brought that up. I didn't. Very much coincident with my disillusionment with the loss of the Vipers from my hometown unit, I also became rather disillusioned with the dynamics of getting an undergraduate engineering degree at Georgia Tech. Long story short, I pulled handles outta that place and transferred at the end of my junior year, 3 hours west to the bona fide party school flagship campus called the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Talk about culture shock for a Rican kid lol; 3 years in Atlanta was really child's play since I grew up in an urban place back home

Tech looks much better when you took all of the beatings and persevered through getting the degree. According to US News, Tech is the 4th ranked undergraduate engineering program in the country with several disciplines ranked first or second.

https://coe.gatech.edu/rankings-and-stats

Word on the street is that it is a much kinder gentler place than when I graduated back when. Damned millennials. ;-)

Funny you brought that up. I didn't. Very much coincident with my disillusionment with the loss of the Vipers from my hometown unit, I also became rather disillusioned with the dynamics of getting an undergraduate engineering degree at Georgia Tech. Long story short, I pulled handles outta that place and transferred at the end of my junior year, 3 hours west to the bona fide party school flagship campus called the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Talk about culture shock for a Rican kid lol; 3 years in Atlanta was really child's play since I grew up in an urban place back home.

At any rate, to your question, I didn't change majors either. I merely transferred my credits and finished the degree. Aerospace Engineering in my case. Never used it. Got a master's on the same at Purdue, that one was free on work-study, didn't use it either. Tech is a great research institution, though I don't really consider them honest brokers when it comes to an undergraduate education, in terms of teaching. It's mostly weed-out factories for graduate labor pool. But that doesn't really matter for a local kid, as long as you remain in the South, it holds relatively decent name recognition for vocational traction. For somebody paying in-state tuition, it makes perfect sense. For someone like me paying the de facto "immigration tax" of out-of-state tuition, not so much.

Doing the basics at the cheaper CC is a really good plan. I had several classmates on that track. They did fine and saved a good clip of money. As an educator at the university level for a short time myself, I also dare say the quality of teaching at the CC was much more hands on by the instructor and probably of higher value to an undergraduate student, than the hand me down sink or swim you get at the big name schools by a professor who is gone half the lectures because he's too busy trolling for grant money. Tech was riddled with that dynamic. Don't get me started on the student visa slave labor pseudo extortion racket of their majority foreigner graduate student population. I digress.
Interesting to hear, used to hearing people transfer to Tech not transfer out lol. I can see the quality of teaching being more hands on at CC's, the local University I'm going to has a MUCH smaller class size compared to tech's. I didn't mention it before but I want to get my mechanical degree. I'd probably be okay just graduating from the local university, but I like the idea of having Tech's name on my degree, along with their superior funding for research and ideally more experienced/informed professors.

Military Times article says the aircraft had undergone routine maintenance just before the flight. I hope some maintainer didn't do something stupid.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...crashes-in-georgia-with-5-onboard-guard-says/

Routine MX on a military AC could mean alot of things. Crew chiefs and other maintainers have a whole slew of inspections every so many hours, especially while it's on the road. But I agree with you, hopefully it wasn't something that could have been avoided.

Losing two engines in an aircraft of this nature seems unusual—if that’s what actually occurred. Something else seems at play here, but I could be completely off.

I assume the C130 has an FDR, which of course would be immensely helpful in the investigation, but having the aircraft now virtually non-existent due to consumption from post crash fire, will make that surveillance camera footage useful.

Losing two engines in an aircraft of this nature seems unusual at this point in the flight—if that’s what actually occurred. Something else seems at play here, but I could be completely off.

I agree. Definitely odd. Maybe one needed to be shut down and the wrong one was pulled back. Hard to say. These old WC-130s were tired...

Back